Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My center ballast is filling up on it's own!!

Modajones

Has anyone ever had this happen? We just bought a 2003 Wakesetter VLX and on several occasions the center ballast would fill up on its own. I had a mechanic from the dealer that I bought it from come out and look at it. He couldn't find anything wrong though he never actually took the boat out. At first I thought it was coming on when I turned on some of the different switches but it get's water in without me touching anything else. There also seems to be some water in the compartment, normally only an inch or so deep. Do you have any advice why this is happening?

the center tank sits below the water line. if the fill hose goes from the pickup in the bottom , thru the pump and directly into the center bag, then thats y its filling itself. to stop that from happening, either shut the valve off when your not using the ballast, of route a loop in the fill line so it comes up near the gauges and then back down to the bag. then it wont self fill.

the center tank sits below the water line. if the fill hose goes from the pickup in the bottom , thru the pump and directly into the center bag, then thats y its filling itself. to stop that from happening, either shut the valve off when your not using the ballast, of route a loop in the fill line so it comes up near the gauges and then back down to the bag. then it wont self fill.

Thanks for replying but I have to admit that I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. Can you explain it a little more to me?

Thanks

Thanks for replying but I have to admit that I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. Can you explain it a little more to me?

Thanks

the fill line from the intake pump should loop up as high as possible, the stock intake should have the fill line coming from the pump, up to the top of the inside of the compartment behind the observers seat then back down to the bag.

sometimes this is not enough and you need to add a shut off valve or a anti-syphon valve (as shown).

BallastAntiSyphonSM.jpg

Thanks

On my 04 the hose which fills the tank loops to the top of the back seat on the drive side rear compartment. You need to make sure the hose did not slide lower. Keep it as high up as you can get it and you shouldn't have any issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem on my '04 Wakesetter 23 LSV - actually both the bow and center tanks self-fill. Would this be my problem as well or would my boat be different?

I'm having the same problem on my '04 Wakesetter 23 LSV - actually both the bow and center tanks self-fill. Would this be my problem as well or would my boat be different?

Probably the same. You may need to extend the fill hoses to get them as high as possible..

Probably the same. You may need to extend the fill hoses to get them as high as possible..

Does anyone know how the middle/bow ballasts fill hoses are routed on my 23LSV? From the intake pump they disappear to the side through a cross-member, go somewhere, then come back (in the case of the center tank) through the same opening in the cross-member to the top of the tank. I'm not sure how to access these hoses where they disappear to.