Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Questions...need help!

Juice75

Part 4: The Finished Product

I'm really happy with how the system turned out. My only complaint is that the front needs more weight. I might try putting a piece of plastic on top of the ski locker sac that will catch on the underside of the locker. That way the sac won't push the door up before it's completely full, and I'll be able to get more water in the front bag.

Single rear bag empty:

172347054-M.jpg

Rear bag full:

172349925-M.jpg

Both rear bags:

172390670-M.jpg

Ski locker bag:

172348972-M.jpg

Front exit port:

172349468-M.jpg

Rear exit port:

172350568-M.jpg

Wake pic (better pics to come after the lakes around here open back up :( ). The rider is about 6' on a 65' rope at 19.5 mph.

172352969-M.jpg

And just for grins, here's a before and after shot of my boat. Other updates I've made include:

Relocating the battery under the rear seat

Perfect Pass

Stereo system

New swim platform

Graphics

Monster Tower

172392266-M.jpg

172392491-M.jpg

Hope this helps someone out. I had a lot of trial and error, so let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to share my experiences...both good and bad.

Kraig

Nice job. How long did it take?

I have bags that I just fill with a pump over the side. Not sure if I want to go through all that when it only takes a few minutes to fill and empty anyway.

I could be wrong, but aren't those types of thru-hull supposed to be used above the waterline?

Congrats on your soon to be boarder!Thumbup.gif

I don't think it matters, as long as you have a brass ball valve threaded on to it (new reg in '04) and use a below waterline rated sealant...

Pat

JSP550 ... Everything I've seen says that the brass ones can be used above or below the waterline. Out of curiosity, which kind did you use for your project? Was it the scoop variety? I just ordered the same ones that Juice75 used, so I hope they're the right ones!

Edit: Woohoo! My 100th post! Took a while ...

Edited by sunscapeJeff

Juice75 ... Great job! I'll use your project as a model for mine. I'm in the process of ordering everything I need.

In the center ballast, have you thought of adding a little wall in there to protect your pumps from the bag squishing them? Maybe there is a wall there, I couldn't tell. I'm thinking of adding a wall, and I'm trying to figure out the best way of doing it.

I've found that on my boat I need a little more weight up front, in addition to the ballast in the center ski locker. I just put another tube sac in the bow area, or under in the bow walkway if people want to sit up there. That seems to do the trick.

Thanks to everyone for the props.

JSP550 - I ordered the thru hulls from West Marine, and the site said they are for below the water line. So I'm hoping they're the correct ones. Had them on for a year, and haven't had any issues. Everything is sealed with 3M 5200.

Arkid - once I decided on a final plan, got the parts...and got up the courage to drill the first hole....I finished up everything except the switches in a weekend. It took me a little while longer to find something to mount the switches in. But once I found the card display, modifying it only took a few hours. I was filling the bags manually for a few months, and the install was definitely worth it. Plus, you get to show it off to all your friends. Thumbup.gif

sunscapeJeff - I thought about adding a wall, but when I fill up the bag, there's several inches between it and the pumps. And the bag doesn't even think about moving. This is my second season with the bags, and the ski locker bag hasn't moved yet. I made sure to get it up as far forward as I could. It could have probably gone up a few more inches, but after I almost got stuck in the ski locker, I decided it was far enough. Oops.gif

• 5 months later...

great write up guys! Clap.gif

I would like to do the same thing this winter, is the setup enought to surf without a wedge? My wife really wants to try surfing and I want the big wake for boarding we have no wedge at this time? LAstly Juice can you post some pics as to where you put your battery under the seat? I hate having the thing way back there!

We have done the updated graphics, 3 vent heater install (very important up here Thumbup.gif ) and next is the ballast this winter. Or should it be a tower?

Jason

Hey Jason - thank for the props.

I actually haven't tried surfing behind my boat, but from what I've seen on other boats, you'd probably need some more weight on the back and in the front to get a real good surf wake. But that's just a guess.

Here's a pic of the battery. It's under the rear driver's side seat cushion. Pretty easy mod to do.

img1088bnh8.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the good post. I will be using alot of your info !!!!!! I said to myself in "January I am going to start the auto ballast thing and new stereo", so I guess it is about time to start.

Curious about 2 things,

Ran a big loop in the front line under the dash to keep the water from flowing back out

Not sure why the water run staight through the exit pump if it is not turned on?? Could you explain

You moved the batteries up, which is something I was planning to do as well. Just wondering what size of cable you used?

Thanks for all the info

Glad to hear you're starting your projects. It's a lot of work, but it's great when people ask where you got it done, and you say "I did it". Thumbup.gif

The big loop is actually in the fill line. This is to keep gravity from pushing the water back out through the fill pump. Another solution is to put a one way check valve in the fill line. Either way will work.

I don't remember what size cable I used. I think it was the same size cable that was already in the boat.

Good luck, and feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

Kraig

Glad to hear you're starting your projects. It's a lot of work, but it's great when people ask where you got it done, and you say "I did it". Thumbup.gif

The big loop is actually in the fill line. This is to keep gravity from pushing the water back out through the fill pump. Another solution is to put a one way check valve in the fill line. Either way will work.

I don't remember what size cable I used. I think it was the same size cable that was already in the boat.

Good luck, and feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

Kraig

I didn't run a loop for the center ballast fill line, but I don't have a problem with auto-emptying. I actually have a problem with auto-filling! If it's empty, I don't have any issues, but if I fill it, then it starts a siphon and then it continues to fill, even if I shut the pumps off. This winter I'm going to run a big loop like you've done. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Just thought I'd give an extra reason why someone might be inclined to run a big loop for the center ballast.

I had a problem with mine filling up after the pump was shutoff, also...even with the loop. It kept popping the ski locker door open. I found two ways to fix it: You can either add a shutoff valve after the fill pump, and close it when the bag is full, or (and this worked better for me) cut a piece of plasic just bigger than the opening in the ski locker, and put that on top of the bag. When the bag is full, the plastic will hit the underside of the floor and keep more water from flowing in. Plus, you can squeeze a few extra pounds into the sac this way.

There are probably other ways to fix the auto-fill problem, but these are the two I tried.