Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

100% silicone

kent

I just got back from lowes getting silicone and while I was there one of the emplyees was asking me what I was doing, I told them I was putting swim lights on my boat. They prceeded to inform me that silicone is not a good idea if its going to stay below the water line. Is this true? If so what do you guys use? tia

Yep, for sure go with the 3M 5200. Really strong and lasts forever. Used it for my ballast thru hull with no issues.

Great topic!! Do you think I can use silicone for the rub rail? My 86 Skier needed the rub rail fixed. I drilled out most rivets and replaced them. However, I had to drill new holes for some and the old holes are still there. I am thinking if I take a light strip of silicone along the lower part of the rub rail that would prevent water coming in most of those old, no useable screw holes. Let me know what you think?

martinarcher

Great topic!! Do you think I can use silicone for the rub rail? My 86 Skier needed the rub rail fixed. I drilled out most rivets and replaced them. However, I had to drill new holes for some and the old holes are still there. I am thinking if I take a light strip of silicone along the lower part of the rub rail that would prevent water coming in most of those old, no useable screw holes. Let me know what you think?

If you can pick up some 5200. The silicone would be fine for the run rail, but won't hold near as string as the 5300. This stuff holds great and really lasts forever! Anything with the 3M name on it sticks well! Rockon.gif

We use 3M 100 percent marine silicon for everything above the waterline.

We use a poly caulk by Lifecaulk for everything under the waterline.It remains slightly plyable forever without hardening or shrinking. Use it exclusively for thru-hull sonar transducers on 50 foot or larger cruisers. That's alot of displacement and incredible pressure. No problems after 10 years.

The one concern with 5200 is that its so permanent. If you have to service a light you might pull off some gelcoat before you get the part removed.

David

Earmark Marine

We use 3M 100 percent marine silicon for everything above the waterline.

We use a poly caulk by Lifecaulk for everything under the waterline.It remains slightly plyable forever without hardening or shrinking. Use it exclusively for thru-hull sonar transducers on 50 foot or larger cruisers. That's alot of displacement and incredible pressure. No problems after 10 years.

The one concern with 5200 is that its so permanent. If you have to service a light you might pull off some gelcoat before you get the part removed.

David

Earmark Marine

Good point Dave, I've avoided using that stuff for anything I've done on my boat for that reason. I used the Lifeculk for my underwater lights.

Good point Dave, I've avoided using that stuff for anything I've done on my boat for that reason. I used the Lifeculk for my underwater lights.

Well it looks as if that will be difficult to get as well. Would it be a mistake to use reg silicone for now and take them off this winter and put the correct sealant on? And if so how long should I wait for the sealant to cure before I put into the water?

Well it looks as if that will be difficult to get as well. Would it be a mistake to use reg silicone for now and take them off this winter and put the correct sealant on? And if so how long should I wait for the sealant to cure before I put into the water?

Big mistake that will be a huge PIA.

Any marine store will have the Lifeculk, or you can get it online.

Big mistake that will be a huge PIA.

Any marine store will have the Lifeculk, or you can get it online.

Say I do get lucky and find some... what is a safe cure time?

i have always used sikaflex for below the water line applications

Sikaflex® -291 Lot

Nearly as strong as Sikaflex®-291 and slightly more flexible, Sikaflex®-291 LOT features a slower skin time to allow for longer working time. Perfect for general sealing all around the vessel, hull seams, thru hulls and bedding deck hardware and rub rails.

ipd-sikaflex291LOT-us.jpg

http://www.sikaconstruction.com/ind/ipd-marine/ipd-ma-products.htm

available at west marine and maybe home depot.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_19113_-1?cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=19113

5200 as mentioned is really for something that is permanent. Meaning, there is no chance someone may want to remove it for repair or replacement. 5200 is an adhesive first, and a sealant second.

Lifecaulk by BoatLife is what many marinas and dealers use. It is meant for underwater use, and cures above or below waterline. I highly recommend it.

Peter

I'll stand by anything made by Silka Corp. They make BY FAR the best urethane caulks in the building industry.

When using urethane (or silicone for that matter)products be sure to have a small squirt bottle of alcohol and plenty of paper towels on hand. Especially if you do not do a lot of caulking regularly. To smooth it out get finger wet with alcohol and strike off 1 time.