Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trouble at hard throttle`

Upon hard throttle from a dead stop, my '98 Malibu Response accelerates for about 2 seconds, and then looses thrust. Feels like the prop is cavitating, although that is not likely the problem. The engine continues to rev, so it must be in the drivetrain. The boat will push all the way to top speed if acceleration is not very hard. Prop looks fine. Any ideas?

If it is a carburetor engine, the accelerator pump in the carb could be shot.

Edited by DONTW8

Sounds like low tranny fluid level.

That is what I was thinking. So it's the attitude of the boat upon accelerating from a dead stop? When checking that fluid level, should the boat be in the water so it is "level"?

When was the last time the tranny fluid was changed, I do think as above it is low however you may want to fill, run for a day then change if it has been a while.

REW

That is what I was thinking. So it's the attitude of the boat upon accelerating from a dead stop? When checking that fluid level, should the boat be in the water so it is "level"?

It is the way that you check the tranny fluid. It takes two people. One person shuts the boat off and the other person immediately checks fluid level. If you don't use this procedure you will get a false reading.

It is the way that you check the tranny fluid. It takes two people. One person shuts the boat off and the other person immediately checks fluid level. If you don't use this procedure you will get a false reading.

Never Heard of that one. it shouldnt take 2 people to check it. but you would want the tranny level, or compensate for it not being level.

Never Heard of that one. it shouldnt take 2 people to check it. but you would want the tranny level, or compensate for it not being level.

How are you immediately going to check fluid level without two people in the boat? You will get a false reading.

Had the same thing on my 2000 Response few years back. Had a tranny leak inside cooler and didn't know it. By the time mine was slipping it required a new tranny. Hope you have much better luck.

Has the ECM shut you down to idle previously?