Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat has trouble starting

I have a 2004 Malibu Sunsetter and when I try to start it, the battery works fine, and I hear one click in the engine but no start. If i play with it for a little while, and give it throttle, i can sometimes get it to start. Does anyone have an idea of what i can do to fix this? If you think its a sparkplug problem where can I find it? and what does it look like?

Thanks

How do you know battery is fine? Was it tested or does it run something other vehicle or just some of the accessories?

Does it turn over & not start or not even turn over? Sounds like it doesn't even turn over.

If it turns over - does it turn over quickly or just barely make it?

Gauges initialize?

Fuel pump whine on key-on?

What is the voltage from the battery? Original battery?

With the info posted it sounds like a bad connection or weak battery or starter soleniod problem, but that's likely to change with more info.

You can check/eliminate the starter soleniod by placing a screw driver across the big terminals.

I have a 2004 Malibu Sunsetter and when I try to start it, the battery works fine, and I hear one click in the engine but no start. If i play with it for a little while, and give it throttle, i can sometimes get it to start. Does anyone have an idea of what i can do to fix this? If you think its a sparkplug problem where can I find it? and what does it look like?

Thanks

Please don't take this the wrong way but based on these comments I think your best bet is to take it to the dealer. Then study up on here and be ready to tackle the next repair.

if you know that the battery is up and strong Clean All your battery connections. Bad connections are 90% of all no start problems.

Test the starter and starter solenoid

My bet is the solenoid. This is a electric switch that engages the starter motor to turn over. So if it is cranking every now and again, this is the likely culprit.

Try tapping a wrench on the side of the starter casing and see if this will cause it to turn over. If you can make this happen with some reptiiveness then you have sucessfully diagnosed the starter solenoid. Call your delaer or SKIDIM and put it on order, they are relatively innexpensive IIRC.

Edited by Ramman17

Thanks

I suspect from the info you have given that your forward/ reverse cable on your throttle is out of adjustment. Check the linkage near the tranny and look to see if the tranny is in neutral when the throttle lever indicates it.