Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Checking compression on engine

When having the compression checked on an engine, what are acceptable numbers and range between cylinders?

Prior to selling my boat today, the buyer had the compression checked at the dealership and the range was 165-170 for all 8 cylinders.....which they said was good.

Just trying to educate myself since I'm now a potential buyer and it sounds like it'd be a valuable piece of info before buying a used boat.

Thats great numbers. Norm new is 150-180 with no more than a 10% difference between the high and low. If a motor is under 120 Thats when its starting to get week. JM2C

Edited by D-GOOSE

The actual numbers aren't really as important as the difference between each cylinder.

In other words, if they all tested at 150, and one was 75, then you'd know that one had a problem.

The actual number vary a lot, the engine compression, engine temp(warmer engine will make a little higher numbers), lubrication on the cylinder walls, will increase the numbers too.. Because of all those variables, just focus on the difference. IIRC, you want <10% difference

Also be sure you crank the engine the same number of times, that can sometimes make a difference

When having the compression checked on an engine, what are acceptable numbers and range between cylinders?

Prior to selling my boat today, the buyer had the compression checked at the dealership and the range was 165-170 for all 8 cylinders.....which they said was good. 

Just trying to educate myself since I'm now a potential buyer and it sounds like it'd be a valuable piece of info before buying a used boat.

Which model are you looking to get?

Service manual for the Indmar (I'm assuming that's what the boat has) says "low compression is evident if the compression pressure varies more than 10% between cylinders or if any cylinder is less than 100 psi (690kPa)"

Sounds like your numbers are really good...

Edited by rts

MDude,

I'm going to start looking for a diamond hull v-drive....'01 Sunsetter VLX or '02-'04 Sunscape. I wouldn't mind a Sunsetter LXi, but my wife wants a v-drive. Hopefully I'll be able to track one down considering how rare those models are.

Edited by yabetcha

I must say that I agree with the pole!

For all around performance and use, I like the DD. We can ski on a good wake, fill the sacs and drop the wedge and board on a good size wake. Stack the sacs and surf.

DD's rule in any book as far as I'm concerned Shocking.gifInnocent.gif boats that is.

Well,

I can't think of anyone who has gone from V-drive to DD.

Just to clarify with Michael,

I should have said all the cool wakeboarders, surfers, and foilers know it's V-drive or bust. You can only do one specific event well with a DD. You can do so many others with a VD.

You can only do one specific event well with a DD.

And that's the event that matters. But.....I guess that once you are too old or too out of shape to slalom ski.....those other things are better than sitting on your couch. But I've got another 40+ years before I'm too old and too feeble to slalom ski. Biggrin.gif

You can do so many others with a VD.

So many things to say....[remember it's a family site Innocent.gif ]....

You shouldn't be doing anyone with a VD. Crazy.gif

Well will see what you kids start pushing for soon. I think we all know what they will want Mike.

Pete great point.

Heres one more. In any given day what kind of boat do you see more chicks on.

a man with VD or DD Tongue.gifROFL.gif

1) Well will see what you kids start pushing for soon. I think we all know what they will want Mike.

2) In any given day what kind of boat do you see more chicks on.

a man with VD or DD

1) They can push for whatever they want and when they're buying the boat they can buy whatever they want. But don't count them as wakeboarders just yet. Yes, they both board right now. But they are young and not very strong so wakeboarding is a natural choice, seeing as how much easier it is. But they'll grow, get stronger, become young men and will want to participate in a grown-up sport. Tongue.gif My 12 y.o. already skis, he has a Mapple 61 that he got for Christmas. :) Children want all kinds of things that aren't necessarily good, it is my job as their father to give them proper direction in life. Biggrin.gif

2) I'm happily married, you can have the chicks. They're nice to look at Innocent.gif but are nothing but trouble and a drain on the bank account. :lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu
1) Well will see what you kids start pushing for soon. I think we all know what they will want Mike.

a man with VD or DD

1) They can push for whatever they want and when they're buying the boat they can buy whatever they want. But don't count them as wakeboarders just yet. Yes, they both board right now. But they are young and not very strong so wakeboarding is a natural choice, seeing as how much easier it is. But they'll grow, get stronger, become young men and will want to participate in a grown-up sport. Tongue.gif My 12 y.o. already skis, he has a Mapple 61 that he got for Christmas. :) Children want all kinds of things that aren't necessarily good, it is my job as their father to give them proper direction in life. Biggrin.gif

2) I'm happily married, you can have the chicks. They're nice to look at Innocent.gif but are nothing but trouble and a drain on the bank account. :lol:

Ok Ok I'll give it to you on both accounts. Notworthy.gif

:) I just wanted to "quote" you so you can't delete / deny. Biggrin.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

a man with VD or DD

1) Children want all kinds of things that aren't necessarily good, like being like Dad, it is my job as their father to give them proper direction in life. Biggrin.gif

2) chicks are nothing but trouble and a drain on the bank account. :lol:

Ok Ok I'll give it to you on both accounts. Notworthy.gif

:) I just wanted to "quote" you so you can't delete / deny. Biggrin.gif

Yep I will not deny those 2 Tongue.gifROFL.gifBiggrin.gif