Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V Drive clunking (or rattling at low speed)

Have a Hurth Ski-Vee ZF-45. Heard a rattling or clunking just above idle in forward. Goes away at speed. Dealer said the feed back from Indmar is this is normal...just some loosness in the V-drive, my dealer has seen this in the past in other boats. Dealer had it logged as a warranty claim incase this issue gets worse and I am out of warranty. My dealer is excellent and this ceratinly wasn't a brush off by them. They were sharing the direction from Indmar. Anyone had this issue?

I have not experienced that but :thumbup: to malibu and your dealer by the way they handled it, did they give you any idea how long they will hold that warranty "reservation" for you?

I was just talking with my dealer today, who represents at least 3 other boat manufacturers, long story short, we should all appreciate malibu and they're warranty process :rockon:

Mine is doing it too. I am afraid mine is the damper plate from reading posts in the past. I will probably change it at the end of this summer - or earlier if it grenades.

:blowup:

When I first brought it in the dealer thought it might be the flex plate as it is common but not on the 08s. My warranty i up in September so I don't think it will be infinite but may a cover a few months past... truefully I didn't ask..woops

Depends on exactly where the sound is coming from. The symptoms sound like the damper plate issue symptoms, but that would be coming from between the engine & transmission, not the v-drive. I don't remember seeing anyone on here with a damper plate failure in an '08 - they were more common in '05's.

Mine is doing it too. I am afraid mine is the damper plate from reading posts in the past. I will probably change it at the end of this summer - or earlier if it grenades.

:blowup:

Funny, I am thinking the exact same thing on mine. It is making some noise on occasion. If I ease into the throttle it wont make noise but if I hammer it she'll rattle a little bit.

There is one thing I haven't ruled out yet and you might try it too. I am going to listen for it with the wedge up and the wedge down. I noticed that my wedge has enough play in it to rattle pretty good when the prop wash hits it. I will want to rule this out before I go to all the work.

Just for the heck of it, check the 4 bolts that hold the prop shaft to the transmission flange. My 06 made a similar rattle at idle last season... Today, I was checking my shaft packing and just happened to look at one of these bolts and the nut was almost off. When I spun the prop, another one was almost as loose and the two remaining bolts were finger tight. They're stainless bolts with brass nuts, but I added a bit of locktite to help hold them in place.

Edited by scfdfireman

I'll check the coupling bolts. It had an alignment last fall, it was quite a bit out of alignment needed the motor to be moved to get it back in spec. I was thinking the extra load and not typical load in the vdrive due to the misalignment may have worn something prematurely but we will see...