Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Multiple Ignition Control Module Failures

Has anyone had a problem with the ignition control module failing mutiple times? I have a Monsoon 335 and am on my second ICM in a year. The boat is serviced by my dealer, and he doesn't know why (not real helpful). Any idea what might be causing this?

Has anyone had a problem with the ignition control module failing mutiple times? I have a Monsoon 335 and am on my second ICM in a year. The boat is serviced by my dealer, and he doesn't know why (not real helpful). Any idea what might be causing this?

Consider replacing the ignition coil. The ign coil represents a specific electrical load to the ignition module. If the coil is not a good match to the ignition module it can stress the module and lead to its failure. There were some coils that were installed that were not matched to the modules. Look at the bracket that the coil mounts to the engine with. If the bracket is bright unpainted metal it might be a mismatched coil. If the bracket is e-coated black it should represent the proper electrical load. The Indmar P/N for the proper coil is S556132.

Consider replacing the ignition coil. The ign coil represents a specific electrical load to the ignition module. If the coil is not a good match to the ignition module it can stress the module and lead to its failure. There were some coils that were installed that were not matched to the modules. Look at the bracket that the coil mounts to the engine with. If the bracket is bright unpainted metal it might be a mismatched coil. If the bracket is e-coated black it should represent the proper electrical load. The Indmar P/N for the proper coil is S556132.

it sure is great to have this kind of knowledge available to this audience.

thanks for all of your input.

Also be sure to apply a liberal amount of silicone grease under the module before bolting it down. It's essential for dissipating /insulating the heat away from the module and distributor plate.

Thanks for the info. The bracket on mine is unpainted and has "1962" stamped on the side of it. Is it as simple as unplugging & unbolting the old one and bolting on and plugging in the new one, or is there more to it than that?

Also, I've run my boat with the new module (and existing ignition coil) for a few hours. It's running fine, but should I be concerned about having damaged the module and replace it again when I replace the coil, or is the module something to not worry about unless it fails? I'd hate to replace it again, given the $ I just spent to get it replaced, but I don't want the boat to quit on me again.

Thanks again for the info/help.