Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Wakeboard Suggestions

smeagol

I've been boarding for about five years on my Hyperlite Motive, and while it is still in good shape, I'm thinking that it is time for me to move up. I'm not doing anything flippy, just W2W and surface tricks and I've been practicing a 360 on the trampoline, etc. I'm about 175 lbs.

I'm looking at the 2009 Absolute Platinum 141 and wonder if any of you have ridden that board... do you like it... do you have other recommendations?

I've been boarding for about five years on my Hyperlite Motive, and while it is still in good shape, I'm thinking that it is time for me to move up. I'm not doing anything flippy, just W2W and surface tricks and I've been practicing a 360 on the trampoline, etc. I'm about 175 lbs.

I'm looking at the 2009 Absolute Platinum 141 and wonder if any of you have ridden that board... do you like it... do you have other recommendations?

im no expect but a 141 maybe to large for you. I used to ride a 141 and recently moved down to a 138 and love it . i weigh about 180 so you should be able to do the same. Like i said i'm no expert but just my 2cents. see if you cna demo a few before you buy.. good luck.

I would suggest giving the Slingshot boards a look and demo. I ride the Recoil, but you would probably want to try the Response 138 or 142.

I had been riding a 138 and the shop talked me into going to a 142 and I was surprised how much I liked just a little more size. i weigh 185#.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with the Ronix Ibex. I was looking for last year's model and called Grizzly Sports. They said they were out but they would make me a great deal on a 2010 model (which does have some changes other than paint). I took the deal and ordered the 2010.

They shipped me a 2009.

Thankfully, Grizzly has excellent customer service and now I have a 2010 being over-nighted so I can have it for the holiday weekend. I wish I could try them both before sending one back.

Anyone here have experience with the 2010?

Stay away from the Platinum. I went through 3 plati's b4 switching. They are very brittle and will crack in half. And they only warranty 1 time. I personally like the LF Lyman. My buddy has the Ronix Covin and loves it. Very big off the wake. Landings are pretty soft on both boards.

What size did you end up going with. Experienced riders that want to do flips or spins tend to go a little smaller because it is easier to rotate the board around.

For example I am 225 pounds and I ride a 142. I have zero problems with the board and I love how easy it is to spin it around. I would suggest a 138 if you are only 175 pounds and have been riding for a couple years and would like to move onto more complex tricks.

I have the 08' IBEX as well and just bought a 09 Slinshot Response because I wanted to try a con't rockered board as well as a SS board and it was a steal at $249. The IBEX has such an aggressive 3 stage rocker that it is very inconsistant off the wake. I have however heard that the new model is a little more mellow. The IBEX really wants to be ridden hard and aggressively. My guess is you'll like the newer one better. Enjoy either way!

A lot of boards have adapted the new hybrid rocker design, which is a cross between a 3 stage and continuous. It gets big air similar to a 3 stage, but is more consistant like a continous.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Ronix Ibex. Three words - Carvy. Poppy. Slidey.

We have an 09. When it arrived on our doorstep we were scared of it lol, it looked so freaking radical, like some kind of alien chunk of angular metal. I thought maybe we'd purchased more board than we needed. My son said "why dont you try it first dad."

But we found out that despite big 3 stage rocker it was suprisingly user friendly for our intermediate to advanced riding. It made us better riders from the first session after coming off an old HO continuous rocker thingy. I would agree though that it wants to be riden agressively to get the most out of it.

Even tho' my son is only 160lbs we bought the 144 for maximum poppage :crazy:

We both love it.

Edited by Gone Boatin'
  • 1 month later...

I've broken one Platinum so far. I think it was an 07, had the wicked cool looking silver carbon fiber look.

They replaced it with an 08 for free. But these days, I hardly ever wakeboard.

I've broken one Platinum so far. I think it was an 07, had the wicked cool looking silver carbon fiber look.

They replaced it with an 08 for free. But these days, I hardly ever wakeboard.

Pistol,

Was the Silver platinum you broke, Green and yellow as well? I sent mine back when the edges chipped. CWB sent me a new board no questions asked.

Nope.

This is the one that broke...

newboardandbox.jpg

This is the one they sent me...

Image072.jpg

Read post #8. I have heard that these boards have a tendency to crack in half due to their light weight honey comb design.