Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Tools Do You Carry on Your Boat?

jeremyk

Putting together a more permanent tool bag for the boat and I wanted to get a sense of what my fellow Bu owners consider essentials. So far I have been carrying an impeller, flat and phillips screwdriver, crescent wrench, needle nose pliers, sliding lock jaw pliers, knife and flashlight. At some point soon I am going to add a spare prop and prop puller but am waiting for a GB on props. I know I am missing a lot here so sound off and let me know what I need to add.

Putting together a more permanent tool bag for the boat and I wanted to get a sense of what my fellow Bu owners consider essentials. So far I have been carrying an impeller, flat and phillips screwdriver, crescent wrench, needle nose pliers, sliding lock jaw pliers, knife and flashlight. At some point soon I am going to add a spare prop and prop puller but am waiting for a GB on props. I know I am missing a lot here so sound off and let me know what I need to add.

There is at least one really extensive thread on this topic from either earlier this year or last year, or the year before that or.. anyhow, search is your friend.

Impeller puller. Allen wrench set. An assortment of stainless c-clamps. . . .

I bought a standard set of end wrenches, a set of small sockets (1.4" drive) and a set of medium sockets (3/8" drive), also basic screwdrivers and pliers, adjustable wrench, etc. Also the spare impeller and puller. I added some zip ties, electrical tape and a hammer. I bought a softside tool bag so i can stuff this into a area out of the way.

I have a spare prop and puller, but keep that in the case in the truck. I dont think i would try a prop change in the water, and the lakes where we go are usually busy enough that i can get a tow in if needed.

I also have a "go bag" that i keep next to the trailer that has a bottle jack, large breaker bar and socket that fits the lug nuts on the boat wheels. I throw this in the back of the truck before each trip just in case.

After reading the earlier posts, I am going to add some hose clamps, too.

Edited by Soon2BV

I bought a standard set of end wrenches, a set of small sockets (1.4" drive) and a set of medium sockets (3/8" drive), also basic screwdrivers and pliers, adjustable wrench, etc. Also the spare impeller and puller. I added some zip ties, electrical tape and a hammer.

:plus1: I also have duck tape, goggles, a razor blade, and a snorkle. Anyone that has ever wrapped a rope around their prop will understand that!

A small tool kit you can buy somewhere, hose clamps...... and the right set up for changing the impeller! I took the set up from my real tool kit....

There is at least one really extensive thread on this topic from either earlier this year or last year, or the year before that or.. anyhow, search is your friend.

I searched and searched and wasn't successful.

Almost 50 years of boating has taught me you'll never have the tool you need. My last repair job involved a shoelace. I carry a leatherman knife, some ty-raps, a roll of electrical tape, and a 1 foot piece of stainless steel wire. Usually end up giving the tape away.

edit; On my Winner boat, I also carry an extra pint of 2 cycle oil.

Edited by electricjohn