Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu lsv vs. Tige rz4

ryannjena

No offense - but look what site you are on..lol - We are all going to say Malibu - for obvious reason - best wake boat available - bar none! :) Good luck to you!!

No offense - but look what site you are on..lol - We are all going to say Malibu - for obvious reason - best wake boat available - bar none! :) Good luck to you!!

I know there will be some bias but I just wanted to see your opinions. I frequently find myself in rough water. How well will the malice do? Any problems with proposing at higher speeds without any sort of wake plate?

very good friend of mine had an rz2. he took a step onto my 247. within a month the rz2 was sold and his 247 was in the slip. on the water he said the tige was like a toy compared to the solid feel of the malibu. i like tige boats. they make some nice rides. but this is directly from an owner of a year and a half that spends a lot of time on the water.

very good friend of mine had an rz2. he took a step onto my 247. within a month the rz2 was sold and his 247 was in the slip. on the water he said the tige was like a toy compared to the solid feel of the malibu. i like tige boats. they make some nice rides. but this is directly from an owner of a year and a half that spends a lot of time on the water.

The Rz4 is huge inside and a very nice boat. The wake board wake is touchy and not easy to clean up (I don't know about the surf wave). Not sure there are really any downfalls to the LSV if they are priced that close.

I just sold my boat and I am looking at either the Malibu lsv or the tige rz4. Price is similar with the Malibu about 5k more. Which do you think I should buy?

What year is the RZ4. Tige has stepped it up in the last two years to get close in quality but it's still not quite there. There is still a very noticeable difference in fit and finish between a Bu and a Tige. The tige will need ballast and alot of it, don't let any salesman tell you different. Most of the new boats come with ballast.

I would demo both and make your decision, who knows you may like the tige more but I doubt it.

I drove three boats in one morning when I bought my Bu. the boat with the wake plate proposed at about 25 to 28 mph. and needed to be "adjusted" the Bu didnt porpose at any speed and still has never porposed. The hull design of the Bu keeps it from doing so, it is why we don't have wake plats or trim tabs on out boats.

REW

Porposing is one of the reasons I went with Bu over any other brand. Porposing on glass really takes the fun out of the sound of the water hitting the glass off the boat. That and bouncing around is annoying too.

That being said, I rode a lot behind a Tige back in 2000-2002 and it put out a good wake back then. Good enough for pro’s to hit it and do just about anything. Good enough for me to crash from higher up instead of lower down. Ha.

Ballast is a big difference between most Tiges and Malibus so do your research because most Tige’s I’ve seen don’t have stock ballast and rely solely on the wake plate, which is a stretch. You'll need to add fat sacs, but maybe that is worth $5K.

Both are spacious with a wide beam.

I would suggest driving them both. If they are close in your opinion then I think you should go with the one that has the better reputation for quality and reliability.

Sorry but you cant compare malibu with Tige.

Malibu is the best boat out there. If you really want the boat to ride behind go with a malibu.

Here in argentina the people are amazed with the wake with only stock ballast and wedge.

My vote is to malibu. Im the dealer for argentina and the aftermarket warranty is great. I never had a problem with replacing parts (remember argentina is far away from US)

Go to tigeowners.com and ask the same question. I'm sure the answers will be quite different.

the newer tige's come with stock ballast, with their pro surf model being able to load up 2000 lbs of ballast.

You are really going to have to sea trial both boats and draw your own conclusions. Either way you will get a pretty darn nice boat .good luck in your search.

Go to tigeowners.com and ask the same question. I'm sure the answers will be quite different.

the newer tige's come with stock ballast, with their pro surf model being able to load up 2000 lbs of ballast.

You are really going to have to sea trial both boats and draw your own conclusions. Either way you will get a pretty darn nice boat .good luck in your search.

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate your time and opinions.

Tige's seem good below the floor (not including the floor), new towers, wetsounds and offset big screen are nice, too. The bad: interiors, dash components, resale and graphics. Ever see an overhead view of a RZ4 and a X45? Hmm....

If you get a chance, test drive the BU and Tige and report back :rockon:

Edited by skurfer

I've never been impressed with any of the Tiges I've ever been in. They've all been rattle traps, and had strange vibrations... That being said, I haven't ridden in one of the newer ones, only looked at them at the boat show. What really turned me off on the newer ones, was stepping down onto the center of the swim platform, it felt like a damn spring board!! If they skimped on the fiberglass on the swim platform, where else did they skimp on the fiberglass???

I know there will be some bias but I just wanted to see your opinions. I frequently find myself in rough water. How well will the malice do? Any problems with proposing at higher speeds without any sort of wake plate?

I read this on friday and thought about it. So while at the cottage for the weekend I paid attention to porposing. We had glass, boat chop, and pretty rough waters (1-2 ft waves) and the boat simply didn't porpose. Over some rougher waves I got two ups-n-downs before it would settle in properly. I have a 20ft and I'm not sure if thats better or worse for porposing. Bottom line, from 15mph to 40mph through all conditions the boat was rock solid. Didn't rattle didn't porpose didn't budge off track. I've never been in a Tige so I won't comment but though i'd throw my $0.02 in as to the solidness of my boat. Also to note I'm coming from a bowrider so the way it handles the chop was comparable to the old bowriders.

I looked at a 2008 RZ4 and a 2008 23LSV malibu, I own the malibu... The RZ4 was really cool looking and huge, but It didnt seem to have as much interior space as the malibu. As far as quality, Tige is pretty good though. I used to own a 2004 Tige 22i and was very pleased with it, but my malibu seems superior to me.

I also paid close attention this weekend to the way my boat handled the rough water and my boat didn't rattle, shake, or porpose. My buddy has an I/O and the comments about his boat compared to mine (we had friends and family at the lake that were on both boats) were that mine was nicer looking and rides smoother. Now I don't believe that the flatter bottom of the Malibu actually rides better than a deeper hulled I/O, but I think it shows that the Malibu's have a great hull design that handles rough water pretty well. Now I know little about the Tige compared to the Malibu, but my Bu handles all conditions well and is 100% rattle and shake free. So take that for what it is.

If the Tige can do all of the same and you like it better, then I would say just keep in mind the difference in price and resale value and go with what you want.

Test drive, Test drive, Test drive.

I have an 07 LSV and it has never porpoised that I can think of. And that is up to about 47 mph on the lake. It handles rough waves very well. In fact the reason I chose an LSV over a VLX had more to do with how it handled rough water vs more room inside, the beam on the LSV is wider and I think it makes a difference. I have never been on a Tige so I couldnt compare the two. All I will say is as a recent buyer who studied for 8 months before buying, the perception is that the Malibu is a much better boat, and true or not it will affect resale. If you like the Malibu better and can afford to buy it, buy it. I can tell you there is no better feeling than sitting in your boat and knowing you got exactly what you wanted, no compromise. Cant describe the satisfaction. I am sure you will find Tige owners who say their boat is just as good as a Malibu and if they feel that way then good for them, that is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, everyone likes different things. But you will never hear someone say their Malibu is just as good as a Tige because it doesnt even need to be said.