Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How often does your bilge pump run

burider

Hey guys, typical day out on the lake when anchored at the cove my bilge pump runs for about a minute every couple hours. Is this normal? How often does yours run?

That's normal for me, I wouldn't let it bother me. But if/when it gets to be too much then run a search on adjusting the packing nut, that's probably where your water entry is coming from.

BTW-if you keep your boat moored on the water then you better fix it asap.

Edited by Ndawg12

Sounds good, I tow so I don't have to worry about the overnight mooring. I just get looks from my I/O buddies so it got me a little concerned. I doubt they even know if their bilge pump works. I could use the extra ballast anyway. Thanks!

Hey guys, typical day out on the lake when anchored at the cove my bilge pump runs for about a minute every couple hours. Is this normal? How often does yours run?

Mine never comes on, must be right and tight.

Edited by 06vlx

Great Topic! I have my auto bilge come on quite often every time i go out on the lake. I stopped and checked the mid locker the other day and there was about an inch of water resting on the bottom. Does anyone have an idea to why this might be. My dealer installed the shaft packing before i recieved my boat this year. My plugs are nice and secure. What else is there?

Sounds good, I tow so I don't have to worry about the overnight mooring. I just get looks from my I/O buddies so it got me a little concerned. I doubt they even know if their bilge pump works. I could use the extra ballast anyway. Thanks!

Most people going to an inboard from an I/O get concerned when they see their bilge pump turn on. In an I/O, water in the bilge is usually caused by a leak in the bellows (Not a good thing at all). The inboards, of course, have to have the prop shaft exit the boat somewhere, and that's where we use the shaft packing that actually requires some water coming in to lubricate the packing (unless you have moved away from the wax impregnated rope that has been standard for a very long time).

Great Topic! I have my auto bilge come on quite often every time i go out on the lake. I stopped and checked the mid locker the other day and there was about an inch of water resting on the bottom. Does anyone have an idea to why this might be. My dealer installed the shaft packing before i recieved my boat this year. My plugs are nice and secure. What else is there?

If you don't have the dripless shaft packing it will do that and it's normal.

Mine almost never comes on automatically - unless another drive chili-dips it...

Gore-Tex 'Dripless' packing keep it pretty dry, not bone dry, but close. I get more water in bottom of ski locker than any where else.

Our would come on when taking off from a stop about 2-3 a day..... Had the prop packing adjusted and haven't seen it in the past 40 hours on the boat..... There is another factor, ICE in the cooler and if the plug is in or not.... We put 40 lbs in ours and that's a lot of water, but still not pump on....

Check your ballast pumps and connections to make sure they are tight.

Mine has been coming on regularly - After checking to see if the packing was dripping excessively, I saw water coming in under the "plate" were the rudder is mounted (my rudder is the solid cylinder deal with the zerk fitting)... I'm guessing there is some sort of seal under there?? I haven't taken anything apart yet - any ideas?

Edited by Murphy