Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pistol Pete's photos from NORCAL WOW!

skyskier

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Boys,

Now, this isn't from WOW, it's from last weekend.

I had to get used to riding at 21-22 mph instead of my usual 25-26 so, I'm doing a couple practice bunny hops to make sure I'm getting the pop I need.

This is only the 2nd and 3rd time in my life I've tried this. My little brain couldn't remember to pull my knees up after the jump.

First attempt.

Second attempt.

I know nothing! But looks like your on the right track. Keep at it, We want to see the first invert not the first attempt :Tease3:

Ok Boys,

Now, this isn't from WOW, it's from last weekend.

I had to get used to riding at 21-22 mph instead of my usual 25-26 so, I'm doing a couple practice bunny hops to make sure I'm getting the pop I need.

This is only the 2nd and 3rd time in my life I've tried this. My little brain couldn't remember to pull my knees up after the jump.

First attempt.

Second attempt.

So Pete, I take it that your discussions with Bill made you slow down? Can you elaborate?

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! HUGE props for finding the courage to throw it. My first attempts looked just like that except I was at 18 mph! Every time I got ready to throw it I saw this image of TIMMAAAAAAY in his wheelchair. :crazy:

Keep us posted!

Hey Pete,

As you well know, crashes at slower speeds don't suck nearly as bad as crashes at higher speeds. But you also get less performance from the foil at slower speeds. Bigger guys like you & I need a little performance from the foil to make it happen. So when you slow the boat down that much, you need to cut harder & really work the dip & jump so you can bring your foil speed up to get the same height jump as when you were going faster.

When you cut out of the wake, cut harder. Start high on the foil, and make that dip strong & quick. Pull up on your feet. Don't stall quite so much between the cut & the dip. In those videos I notice that you cut out, wait, then dip & jump. You should be dipping mid-cut. Make sense?

Then when you jump, you will actually be jumping out towards the side of the boat. This will keep your line tension, which is a good. Keep the handle low on your knees thru that jump. And maintain your body position on top of the board/foil (which your doing now, but will get a little harder with line tension).

Get that jump down & then do it & throw your feet & knees up & over your head. Just like you were standing on the back of the boat. Just throwing your head & shoulders back will get you half way around. But a nice big jump & throwing your feet & knees up & over will give you a bigger invert, coming around slower & easier to land & ride out.

You can even practice this as a dismount. Cut out hard, let go of the handle, BIG DIP, JUMP & throw your feet & knees up & over! I can do these at 17 or 18 mph easily. But with line tension I need like 20 or 21 mph.

Hope that helps. Good job with your first few attempts!! Half the battle is in your HEAD! Don't beat yourself up out there. Remember, we do this for FUN! :crazy:

PS: Laugh all ya like, Nate..... cuz your next, buddy. :rofl:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

So Pete, I take it that your discussions with Bill made you slow down? Can you elaborate?

The biggest thing we were doing wrong was not holding our elbows in and keeping the handle low in your lap at all times. So, this was a new change in riding style. Constantly holding the handle low and elbows tucked in makes your arms tired quickly.

The 25 mph speed is not needed to be doing new tricks like this.

The biggest thing we were doing wrong was not holding our elbows in and keeping the handle low in your lap at all times. So, this was a new change in riding style. Constantly holding the handle low and elbows tucked in makes your arms tired quickly.

Yep, all true. It's called workin out.... :crazy:

I encourage the handle low to help maintain line tension & it acts like the boat is pulling you from the center of your mass, not up at the top (instant face plant). Elbows bent, so that when you have a tough landing, and need to go back to that "safe position", ie; leaning forward, handle out & high (remember that from the old AC videos?), you can do that without getting yanked out the front & into a face plant. I call the act of extending the arms, "giving back to the boat". I'd rather give a little back than the face plant any day of the week! :Doh:

Pete, I think if you look at the video of me riding that day at WOW, I give back to the boat on like 1/3 - 1/2 my landings. A more talented rider may not need to do that as often.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Pete..........I learned by doing the dismount at 18 mph (190 lbs). My anxiety level went down quite a bit knowing I did not have to worry about getting tangled up in the rope. When you can land 2 or 3 in a row, you are ready to hang onto the handle. When you are ready to hang on, make sure you are on a trick release such as Lonnie's Cinch strap.