Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

packing nut, no drip

smooth as glass

the drive shaft has bolts and nuts that could grab a loose finger or wrench if you weren't careful.  But I really don't see the need to do this in gear.  You can check for drips in gear, but no need to do the adjustment in gear.

I'm with vette on this one. All it takes is one slip, passing wave, or oops, and you could have an unnecessary injury. Why risk it?

My packing has never dripped, doesn't get hot, and no problems in 280 hours.

YMMV

Are you guys adjusting this with the boat in motion? My understanding is that the boat should be in gear, idling, when adjusting the packing nut to get the correct drip rate.

Why risk loosing or maming a body part when it only takes a few extra seconds to shut off the engine, adjust, and start it back up. it has never taken me more than 5 min. to adjust the nut with the boat in the water and engine off. That includes running the boat (after adjustment) to check the drip rate.

I bet skiing w/ 1 hand might be a bit difficult. Don't really want to find out.

Edited by Lakenut

With all the discussions about saftey concerns, I've decided to post my 100% safe method for tightening the packing nut:

• Be on the Water with the engine running. Make sure the boat is warmed up.
  • Loosen the lock nut while the boat is in idle. Don't dangle anything against the spinning shaft
  • Once the lock nut is loose, Gun the boat to Wide Open throttle and zoom around the lake.
  • If you are by yourself, tie off the steering wheel so you continue at about 45 mph in a straight line. You are now free to go back to working on the packign nut. tip: Make sure there are no other boats or landmasses in your direct path
  • Also, Make sure you tie off the steering wheel tightly so the rudder doesn't swing to one side causing your boat to do tight circles and people mistaking you for a walley who lost their tuber
  • If it is taking a while to adjust the nut (this can especially be a probelm at 45 mph through some chop), be sure to pop your head up every 5-10 minutes to make sure there is still nothing in your path
  • If all else fails just cover the entire shaft/packing nut area in a huge wad of duct tape

With all the discussions about saftey concerns,  I've decided to post my 100% safe method for tightening the packing nut:
  • Be on the Water with the engine running.  Make sure the boat is warmed up.
  • Loosen the lock nut while the boat is in idle.  Don't dangle anything against the spinning shaft
  • Once the lock nut is loose, Gun the boat to Wide Open throttle and zoom around the lake.
  • If you are by yourself, tie off the steering wheel so you continue at about 45 mph in a straight line.  You are now free to go back to working on the packign nut.  tip:  Make sure there are no other boats or landmasses in your direct path
  • Also, Make sure you tie off the steering wheel tightly so the rudder doesn't swing to one side causing your boat to do tight circles and people mistaking you for a walley who lost their tuber
  •   If it is taking a while to adjust the nut (this can especially be a probelm at 45 mph through some chop), be sure to pop your head up every 5-10 minutes to make sure there is still nothing in your path
  •   If all else fails just cover the entire shaft/packing nut area in a huge wad of duct tape

Thats what we were doing wrong :Doh:

With all the discussions about saftey concerns,  I've decided to post my 100% safe method for tightening the packing nut:
  • Be on the Water with the engine running.  Make sure the boat is warmed up.
  • Loosen the lock nut while the boat is in idle.  Don't dangle anything against the spinning shaft
  • If you are by yourself, tie off the steering wheel so you continue at about 45 mph in a straight line.  You are now free to go back to working on the packign nut.  tip:  Make sure there are no other boats or landmasses in your direct path
  •   If it is taking a while to adjust the nut (this can especially be a probelm at 45 mph through some chop), be sure to pop your head up every 5-10 minutes to make sure there is still nothing in your path
  •   If all else fails just cover the entire shaft/packing nut area in a huge wad of duct tape

Duct tape is the cure all! :lol:

You really only need 2 items in your tool box.

Duct tape and WD-40.

Duct tape for anything that doesn't stick, but should,

WD-40 for any that sticks, but shouldn't.