Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

As much as it pains me

ScooterM

I think I am going to buy a Mastercraft X-Star. I have been diligently looking for the last 2 1/2 months for a Malibu that is close enough to go get locally and a price that fits my needs. Unfortunately the summer is already starting to slip by with nothing promising on the horizon. I found a super clean 2004 x-star today very close to were I live for $36K (NADA for boat and trailer is 40K). I called and talked to the mechanic whose name was on the winterization tag and he confirmed from his observation it's solid. The boat happens to be a repo and it was repoed during the winter while the boat was in storage so I'm not worried that the owner did anything stupid before his boat got picked up. While I had my heart set on being a Malibu owner, I feel like it's a deal I can't pass up. Thanks for all the help and great advice. Hopefully this is just my starter boat and I will own a Malibu someday soon.

-Scotty

i would suggest that you not assume anything about this boat and that you have it checked out at a dealership before purchase. Treat it at least like you would any other boat purchase. Test drive would also be a good idea.

it is all about the due diligence, especially on a repo.

good luck

If that year X-star is the hull just before the pickle fork bow (and, I think it is,) it's a great wake boat.

Nope, I think he's buying a pickle, looks like '04 might have been the first year. Certainly do your research as others have suggested, I bought a repo, I'm happy with it but there were issues that were unannounced at the time. I have a hard time believing you can't find a bu close enough to you, how far are/were you willing to travel? And a Mastercraft, well that's another story, good boats, alot of owners and dealers just have an "air" about them, don't be like them.

Nope, I think he's buying a pickle, looks like '04 might have been the first year. Certainly do your research as others have suggested, I bought a repo, I'm happy with it but there were issues that were unannounced at the time. I have a hard time believing you can't find a bu close enough to you, how far are/were you willing to travel? And a Mastercraft, well that's another story, good boats, alot of owners and dealers just have an "air" about them, don't be like them.

Very well said. I have alot of respect for the mastercraft boats, I can't say the same for the company or owners. Keep your head clear and enjoy the boat!Thumbup.gif

I think you got a great boat and I think you will be very happy. The idea is to have a boat that will give you a good wake, be as problem free as possible, and hopefully not cost you too much money. I think that x-star can meet those needs and if you had your heart set on a malibu but went for a good deal on a mastercraft then I think you are a pretty open minded guy and we hope you join our side with your next purchase. Enjoy.

I am reminded of Luke Skywalker being called by the Dark Side!

If the boat fits your family and your price range.... have a blast!

there is an x star on ebay, selling now at 36,500 within 200 miles of your location, not sure if it is the same one but it will give you an idea of how good a deal you are getting on the repo. this one looks like a nice boat.

i would think you should get a repo for less than 4,000 off nada. low nada is the starting point on a non repo boat these days.

anyway check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-MASTERCRAFT-X-STAR-/220622923263?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item335e26a5ff#ht_500wt_1182]

FYI to the OP, if you are looking for a good wakeboard wake...the picklefork X-stars have amazing wakes! HOWEVER it takes A LOT of weight to get them there (3k+)(read, re-prop and the more powerful motor is almost a necessity). If you are wanting a good "stock" wake (factory ballast) you will not be impressed with the picklefork X star. I would lean more towards the 03 and earlier hulls for that type of wake. In summary, if you want to simply wakeboard with a "decent wake" that boat will not fit your criteria. If you are a serious wakeboarder that is looking for a pro-level wake...then you wont be disappointed.

I agree with Liquidmx's comments. I had an 08 VLX and good friends have an 08 X. We normally put an extra 800 in the rear of the X and get a great wake. On occasion we go the full 3k. He has the 6.2 with high-alt prop and still has trouble when loaded down with 3k. That boat really needs the 8.1 if you are going to load it down.

Thanks all, I appreciate the support. And yes , that is the boat I am buying. I spoke with the Dealer that originally sold the boat today to confirm the status of its winterization so I could test drive it. He told me that he had all the maintenance records for the boat every year and that he knew the owner. He told me that the owner was extremely meticulous, to the point that he could be difficult to please. He told me " he's exactly the kind of owner you would want to buy a used boat from". He also asked me to call him if I don't strike a deal because he would want to buy it otherwise.

Also, the seller accepted 36,000 because I offered to buy it outside of ebay and save him the 2% fee. I should be driving over there to test drive it and pick it up tomorrow.

Edited by ScooterM

Thanks all, I appreciate the support. And yes , that is the boat I am buying. I spoke with the Dealer that originally sold the boat today to confirm the status of its winterization so I could test drive it. He told me that he had all the maintenance records for the boat every year and that he knew the owner. He told me that the owner was extremely meticulous, to the point that he could be difficult to please. He told me " he's exactly the kind of owner you would want to buy a used boat from". He also asked me to call him if I don't strike a deal because he would want to buy it otherwise.

Also, the seller accepted 36,000 because I offered to buy it outside of ebay and save him the 2% fee. I should be driving over there to test drive it and pick it up tomorrow.

congrats, sounds like you will be pretty happy with that purchase.

is that the repo guys house in the background....

congrats, sounds like you will be pretty happy with that purchase.

is that the repo guys house in the background....

Might be Now!Whistling.gif