Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lift cables scratching boat...ideas?

Hey all,

I was recently able to rent a slip with a lift for my 2009 VTX. Fantastic. One problem: The metal lift cables are scratching the steel rub rail in the back of the boat.

What have you guys done in the past to take care of this? I think PVC pipe would work pretty well if I could find some way to split the pipe down a seam to get the cables inside. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

T

Hey all,

I was recently able to rent a slip with a lift for my 2009 VTX. Fantastic. One problem: The metal lift cables are scratching the steel rub rail in the back of the boat.

What have you guys done in the past to take care of this? I think PVC pipe would work pretty well if I could find some way to split the pipe down a seam to get the cables inside. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

T

Why not throw some foam pipe insulation on it, it's already split and will be soft and shouldn't scratch. You can get it at any hardware store in about whatever I.D. you want.

If you have an electrical supply house in your area that sells to utility companies, they will have a guy wire wrap that is plastic and have a split down the entire length. It would probably work great.

If you are located close to West TN I might have some in the office I could give you. Not sure how I could easily ship it.

If you have an electrical supply house in your area that sells to utility companies, they will have a guy wire wrap that is plastic and have a split down the entire length. It would probably work great.

If you are located close to West TN I might have some in the office I could give you. Not sure how I could easily ship it.

Good ideas, guys. I bought some hard plastic tubing from Lowe's that I was able to split myself- I'll let you know the result. Ideally I'd have PVC running the length of the cables, but that would require a de- and re-installation of the cables, which I'm not sure the lift owner (I'm leasing) is interested in doing.

Thanks!

t

Since you already installed a split piece of PVC, why not get a larger diameter piece that will fit snugly on the one you already installed. Make some 2 or 3 inch long collars, slice those collars so you can get them over the cable like you did with the long piece you already installed. Then use PVC pipe glue to attach the collars with the seams 180 degrees apart. I think with maybe 3 collars (one on each end and one at the middle) you should have a nice little cable guide.