Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Care

Well after seeing MexTex's vinyl, I just ordered some exquisite. Hope it works half as well for mine too!

Yup, the pictures convinced me to try it...just ordered some myself.

• 1 month later...

I use a product called PPC Formula 2 on my vinyl. Unfortunately I dont know how well it cleans extremely dirty vinyl cuz I dont let it get to that point, but its excellent as a light cleaning/maintenance protectant.

One thing I like about it is that its non silicone, so you dont get that Armor All greasy/oily look, but still obtain a nice shine.

I think whatever you use stay away from silcone products on rubber/vinyl. I remember using some silicone tire dressing on my car once and after a while the tires turned brown, it seemed the more I used it the more I had to use it. Now I use PPC Show Tire with no silicone and no browning, they always look fantastic.

The problem with PPC is its a small company and I dont know if their products are available in stores nationwide. Sometimes you can find 'em online tho'.

At any rate, I dont mean to go off further on a no silcone rant but here I go anyway. Consider this - I've been in aviation for a number of years and I know our mechanics will not use anything silicone based on any part of an airplane. When I asked why, the answer was that its "destructive", especially to plastic/rubber/vinyl.

A big example are the rubber de-icing boots on the leading edge of some aircraft wings. Supposedly it is a big no-no to use anything silicone based on these boots as is will dry them out, leading to costly replacement or worse, cracks and eventual failure - a very bad problem when you need them to hold air, expand and get the ice off your wing. Actually, this is how I first found out about PPC Formula 2, its very popular as a deicing boot conditioner and protectant. I figure if its good enough for a multimillion dollar aircraft, its good enough for my boat.

I know there are other vinyl cleaning/protectant products out there without silicone in them, including the 303 Aerospace Protectant you guys are talking about, it sometimes just takes a little research, as I'm frequently met with blank stares at the auto or marine store when I ask if an item has silicone in it.

Anyway, good luck, just keep a good coat of something quality on your seats for piece of mind from here on out, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and remember, friends dont let friends use silicone on their vinyl! :no:

Edited by Gone Boatin'