Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Care

So the top portion of our boat is mostly white, the vinyl was dirty-dirty-dirty and elbow grease plus the cleaners I used just were not doing the trick (it was embedded in the cracks)....so I used Bar Keepers Friend (with a scrub brush) on the white vinyl. Now Im nervous, did I do damage? Looks great-meaning the are white again. Possibly looks dulled, like I took that top layer off. Havent had the boat out of the garage since I did it, so havent seen it in the sun. I know I should have stuck to the 303 I was using-which worked great, it just wasnt lifting the dirt out of the cracks. Im going to apply the 303 UV protectant today.

I'm not going to go as far as saying you destroyed it, but I will say you should never use it again. Bar Keepers Friend is VERY abrasive. Chemically, I'm not certain on what it in there, but the stuff, IMO, is similar to wet sanding your vinyl. That's some pretty harsh stuff. I think the dull that you are seeing MIGHT be from the abrasiveness of the BKF. However, I could be wrong, and the stuff might just not have the shine effect. The 303 will hopefully bring that shine back. Best of luck... Keep us posted.

So the top portion of our boat is mostly white, the vinyl was dirty-dirty-dirty and elbow grease plus the cleaners I used just were not doing the trick (it was embedded in the cracks)....so I used Bar Keepers Friend (with a scrub brush) on the white vinyl. Now Im nervous, did I do damage? Looks great-meaning the are white again. Possibly looks dulled, like I took that top layer off. Havent had the boat out of the garage since I did it, so havent seen it in the sun. I know I should have stuck to the 303 I was using-which worked great, it just wasnt lifting the dirt out of the cracks. Im going to apply the 303 UV protectant today.

For really deep cleaning Malco Plastic and Leather cleaner is about the best out there. I wouldn't use it everyday because you have to condition afterwards but it also won't hurt the vinyl either.

Edited by 06vlx

For really deep cleaning Malco Plastic and Leather cleaner is about the best out there. I wouldn't use it everyday because you have to condition afterwards but it also won't hurt the vinyl either.

Can you use a brush with the Malco? I have the same problem with my mostly white interior. I like the ICE interior cleaner, but haven't used a brush to really get into the cracks

Ok, so "I wouldnt go so far as to say you destroyed it" FREAKED ME OUT.....My husband just might kill me -I told him I just used a little- it was working so well I just couldnt help myself. Do you think I should just stick to the 303 as far as a conditioning product at this point? I know that has a UV protectant in it, but Im wondering if I should deep condition with something also? It looks fine right now, but should I be worried about the sun discoloring?

Can you use a brush with the Malco? I have the same problem with my mostly white interior. I like the ICE interior cleaner, but haven't used a brush to really get into the cracks

I will say the 303 cleaner worked great-with a scrub brush in the cracks-I just got such satisfaction with the BKF cuz it made the wht so wht-I have not tried any of the other cleaners, but will say I was pleased with 303

You can use a medium bristle brush with any cleaner. It's best to spray the malco on, let it sit for a few minutes, then remove with a damp cloth.

Mr. cleans Magic Eraser is a must have for me. I had a couple of friends that helped me put the boat up and they didn't vent the seats. It had mildew stains pretty bad on the white spots of my vinyl. used the Magic Eraser and came off with ease and no dulling. I keep a couple of packs in the boat all the time now. Just for future reference.

Mr. cleans Magic Eraser is a must have for me. I had a couple of friends that helped me put the boat up and they didn't vent the seats. It had mildew stains pretty bad on the white spots of my vinyl. used the Magic Eraser and came off with ease and no dulling. I keep a couple of packs in the boat all the time now. Just for future reference.

Magic Eraser removes mildew but it eats vinyl.

I really like this product, worked great on my 2007 Malibu. I wish I had a before and after pic. The buddy that I purchased this boat from never cleaned the seats at all. I use Exquisite and follow up with some 303 Protectant. The brush really got into the cracks and removed all of the caked in grime and dirt....this stuff is excellent!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exquisite-Boat-Vinyl-Upholstery-Cleaner-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a998d0351QQitemZ320403735377QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_1123wt_941

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

StarBrite mildew and stain eraser from Walmart boat section works great. Just make sure you rinse very well after cleaning

I really like this product, worked great on my 2007 Malibu. I wish I had a before and after pic. The buddy that I purchased this boat from never cleaned the seats at all. I use Exquisite and follow up with some 303 Protectant. The brush really got into the cracks and removed all of the caked in grime and dirt....this stuff is excellent!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exquisite-Boat-Vinyl-Upholstery-Cleaner-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a998d0351QQitemZ320403735377QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_1123wt_941

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

:plus1: I bought one gallon. Best cleaner! removes stain on carpet, too!

A few seasons back I found turtle wax fabric/vinyl cleaner @ wal-mart. Its in the auto section. Its the best stuff ever-cleans those hard to get cracks in the vinyl, seat seam fabric, and carpet, its better than anything i have found- 4 bucks a can, way cheaper than BABES or other expensive junk that doesnt do anything-Good luck hope your vinyl is ok-

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

Thanks MT! I have the same interior, and your whites look brighter than my whites, so I will switch! :plus1:

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

How strange, wish I could have seen this before I got out the BKF. Your boat looks exactly like our-colors of inside interior, and an 07. Can you get this Exquisite at any boat store? Looks great!

Magic Eraser removes mildew but it eats vinyl.

Yup it sure does. I say shame on the person that lets their boat get to the point of needed such an abrasive cleaner to get the dirt off the seats. I wouldn't touch my boat with one of those, learned that lesson the hard way on the last boat.

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

:plus1:

I used Exquisite as well and had awesome results. Looks good as new now.

I'm used Exquisite also. Works well.

Spray is great for really tough stains.

What stores carry Exquisite? I stopped by a local auto parts store and asked the counter guy about it...all I got was a blank stare with nobody home.

bob

What stores carry Exquisite? I stopped by a local auto parts store and asked the counter guy about it...all I got was a blank stare with nobody home.

bob

That is an ebay only item.

Well after seeing MexTex's vinyl, I just ordered some exquisite. Hope it works half as well for mine too!

I've been using it since 2006, works pretty good.