Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Flo-Cam

MalibuTime

I saw the article on the homepage for Malibu's new flo-cam. My first thought was, wow, cool why did it take so long. One of those things that are so obvious. My second thought was I bet it's $2000, plus requires Maliview, ouch! My third thought was what is the actual quality since they don't actuall show ANY footage taken with the new, awesome flo-cam. Then I saw tricky-nicky's status update saying the same thing. So I went back through the video, not only do they not show any actual footage, the "replay" through Malivu at the end (about 2:02) is not from the flo-cam, and has been inserted over the screen of the Maliview (like the earlier Malivu "replay" in the vid). The rope above the camera removes any doubt.

So Malibu, I am calling you out. Trying to put this over on me, us, them is a recipe for flame out on social media and you are BUSTED. :guns:

Edit, so what about those POV shots at the end, are they actuall from a GoPro?

Edited by MalibuTime

Actually, it's a VIO POV camera.

pov15_big.jpg

$450 retail

Does that mean that entire assembly is waterproof? And by waterproof I mean submerged in water? I gotta say I love the gopro's for anything POV. But for filming from the boat the fisheye lense just doesn't cut it.

Oh ya and nicely done with the callout. Very well deserved. Shame on you Malibu, Don't make me buy an MCROFL.gif

slight hijack. has anyone ever tried using a gorillapod wrapped around the pylon (for support) and line (to guide the camera direction)?

I was thinking about that as a cheap solution.

Its actually a really robust system for true POV use, like skiing or snowmobiling or mountain biking. But as a cam to film stuff thats 65-85' away, it's gonna suck, just like a gopro HD would. It's not the standard def resolution, it's the focal length and field of view. The cams just aren't made for resolution that far out. A cheapy CL old skool video camera will produce much more satisfactory results.

But from the perspective of looking for a cam that a lazy owner can leave on the boat during a rainstorm, there really aren't too many choices. This cam IS built to withstand outdoor abuse, unlike standard handheld cams.

Another "integrated" system like the JBL black box?? Yikes! Runaway! Runaway! The funny thing is of that two minute video, there is only seconds of frames shot from the tower... Hmmmm.

Now, a scaled down Cineflex would rock! Too bad it would cost more than a fully loaded 247....

Curt Morgan - Brain Farm talking about Cineflex

post-219-12766911961_thumb.jpg

Edited by CTSunsetter

Another "integrated" system like the JBL black box?? Yikes! Runaway! Runaway! The funny thing is of that two minute video, there is only seconds of frames shot from the tower... Hmmmm.

Now, a scaled down Cineflex would rock! Too bad it would cost more than a fully loaded 247....

Look again at the video, Those shots weren't even taken from the new flo-cam (you can tell because the rope is above the camera)

IMHO, using a proven third party cam like this one (if it were actually suited for the intended use) is much better than using something like maliview where there is no aftermarket or user support outside of the Malibu community.

IMHO, using a proven third party cam like this one (if it were actually suited for the intended use) is much better than using something like maliview where there is no aftermarket or user support outside of the Malibu community.

• 1 year later...

not even hi-def. Resolutions: 720x480, 720x400, 640x480, 360x240. For the price, that is horse crap.

I have flo cam, great idea, but video quality for $2K is crazy. How is this not HD with ability to zoom for $2K????????

• 6 years later...

I have a 2011 LSV Malibu Wakesetter.  I would like to hook up a camera to the tower without spending too much but also connect through the maliview.  I saw the thread from years ago but wondering if anyone has found a better solution.  I also could not find the mount that is pictured in this thread anywhere.  Any help is appreciated.

We've started using our GoPro mounted into the rear surf side phender lock (http://www.bigskyprecision.com/PhenderPro.php) up on the top of the gunnel.  The GoPro app on my phone let's me see the picture in real-time and start and stop from the dash with my phone in the dash cradle while charging.  Works great for surfing.  We use one of these RAM mounts  along with the phender lock ball mount that we ordered from Malibu through our dealer.  It works really well.  Great angle too.    

• Like 2

I got excited when I saw this thread I thought it was a camera in the water intake hose to watch if water was flowing hah.. I mean since they are to cheap to put a flow sensor on and all.. or a $20 engine block temp sensor.. 

Edited by The Hulk

I do similar thing as Cory with my gopro, but use suction attachment on gunnel of transom and tie it off too the cleat so it cant fall into water if bumped with rope...great angle for surfing. Saw my surfing buddy do it with his gopro and started doing it the same way. Any gopro is gonna have trouble seeing wakeboarding tho since zero zoom

Autodrone !  You heard it here first. Ha. It automagically syncs video to the helm and recorded onboard. Surfer/boarder/skier wears a tracker and the drone is programmed to get good shots. It has it's own landing pad and hangar on the boat ! Very little human intervention needed.

Steve B.

53 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Autodrone !  You heard it here first. Ha. It automagically syncs video to the helm and recorded onboard. Surfer/boarder/skier wears a tracker and the drone is programmed to get good shots. It has it's own landing pad and hangar on the boat ! Very little human intervention needed.

Steve B.

Some drones already have the tracking remotes some are waterproof! Now they just need a landing pad on the Bimini top!

My Mavic pro drone does not need a remote or anything really to track something. Just have it look at something, or someone, then simply tap on them on your phone that it displays the real time video. It will automatically follow you up to ~45 mph in full 4k hd. Mine was "only" $1300 in a package deal with 3 batteries with 25 minutes of flight time each. It also has a "flash" feature.....just fly that thing over boats in party cove and it makes the gals tops fall off. Been flashed several times... lol.