Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

transom LED lights below water line

Plachy

I have ordered the same lights that my Bu dealership recomended, Attwood 6 LED. My question is, where is the best location below the swim platform to install to get the best light for swimming and prop wash? A picture is worth a thousand words, but words are okay!

Be aware that these lights will attract tons of fish. So swimming may or may not be something you do with them on.

Interesting that your bu dealer didn't sell you some Malibu LEDs rather than recommend someone else's. :unsure:

Be aware that these lights will attract tons of fish. So swimming may or may not be something you do with them on.

Interesting that your bu dealer didn't sell you some Malibu LEDs rather than recommend someone else's. :unsure:

I agree, he went in his parts book and pointed them out so I ordered them from the manufacturer, about $60 per light cheaper.

I put mine up close to the water line and outside of the wedge foil, when up.

thanks! the pic is just what I need.

That is the same place where we have been mounting the underwater lights after market.

In my opinion, the best bang for your buck is the 9 LED from Malibu has the best lumens for dollar spent. I'm surprised a Malibu dealer didn't mention those too?

-Paul

How did you drill through the hull? What did you do to water proof?

Is there any benefit to putting them lower in the water ?

As long as the light is underwater when your boat is sitting it will be fine. You just don't want the light out of the water when your boat is sitting or you'll have to fill ballast to get them under water. They won't have the same effect if they are out of the water.

The brightest of underwater lights are dependent on water for cooling (even LEDs) so they must remain under the waterline most of the time and should not be run when the boat is on the trailer. If the light is too far underwater or angled downward the effect will not appear as bright or project through the water as far. But inboards don't have very deep transoms like I/Os so its hard to get it wrong.

David

Earmark Marine

As long as the light is underwater when your boat is sitting it will be fine. You just don't want the light out of the water when your boat is sitting or you'll have to fill ballast to get them under water. They won't have the same effect if they are out of the water.

Just to add on. Awesome tool to help out would be a wax pencil. Get in the water and mark the water line without anyone in the boat.

The brightest of underwater lights are dependent on water for cooling (even LEDs) so they must remain under the waterline most of the time and should not be run when the boat is on the trailer. If the light is too far underwater or angled downward the effect will not appear as bright or project through the water as far. But inboards don't have very deep transoms like I/Os so its hard to get it wrong.

David

Earmark Marine

i wasn't aware of that, i agree the lights would be best suited for underwater use, but it seems to me there used to be a picture on this site of a boat hanging from the ceiling at the detroit boat show that had those lights turned on, i assume for the whole show period.

Sure, there are many less-intensive lights that are more forgiving. The brighter models even have channels built into the encasement for water to pass between the fixture and hull for cooling. You would not be able to look directly into these lights while the boat is out of the water... without seeing spots for a while. Gives me an instant headache. Not all lights are equal.

David

Earmark Marine

The 6 LED lights pictured above are not very bright in or out of the water, they also don't have the cooling channels in the housing. The 9 LED lights are alot brighter than the 6 LED and do have the cooling channeling in the housing. I agree with dave you can't look at these things for other than a split second or you'll be tripping over stuff when you walk away.

The 6 LED lights pictured above are not very bright in or out of the water, they also don't have the cooling channels in the housing. The 9 LED lights are alot brighter than the 6 LED and do have the cooling channeling in the housing. I agree with dave you can't look at these things for other than a split second or you'll be tripping over stuff when you walk away.

I was also afraid that the 6 led lights would not be bright enough, I found the Malibu OEM 9 led lights for even less than the Attwood 6. I may return the 6 led, or add them on the outside of the swim platform bracket under the water line if I think I want more light.

I was also afraid that the 6 led lights would not be bright enough, I found the Malibu OEM 9 led lights for even less than the Attwood 6. I may return the 6 led, or add them on the outside of the swim platform bracket under the water line if I think I want more light.

Return the attwoods and get another set of the OEM 9's. I've got 4 of the OEM 9's and they're really bright.

whats the install process on these?

Check this thread out I posted some pics. Basically laying out where you want them, measuring twice and drilling once. 3 holes for each light, 1 @ 1/4" and 2 @ 3/16" for the screws. Lots of the Lifeculk brand for the holes before you mount the lights.

Check this thread out I posted some pics. Basically laying out where you want them, measuring twice and drilling once. 3 holes for each light, 1 @ 1/4" and 2 @ 3/16" for the screws. Lots of the Lifeculk brand for the holes before you mount the lights.

thanks, so if I have a 2004 lsv wakesetter then I will have to pull the floors out in the back to get to the wires for a set of lights that is mounted on the inside or outside of the platform brackets?

thanks, so if I have a 2004 lsv wakesetter then I will have to pull the floors out in the back to get to the wires for a set of lights that is mounted on the inside or outside of the platform brackets?

It depends on whether you have above floor ballast tanks or not. If the ballst tanks are below floor yes you will have to pull the floors up for sure.

It depends on whether you have above floor ballast tanks or not. If the ballst tanks are below floor yes you will have to pull the floors up for sure.