Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another vaper lock thread

This past weekend I had similar issues as another thread. After several ski runs we pulled up to a friends pier to take a break. Very hot day, 95 plus degrees and high humidity. After sitting for 45 minutes or so, got in the boat, started right up and the died about 5 seconds later. Every time I tried to start the engine, it would try to start then die (like it was out of fuel). I opened the engine cover for about 10 to 15 minutes, then started right up. This happened two times that day. I am thinking vaper lock, but let me back up two days prior. The shaft packing was leaking (steady stream of water) so I adjusted the packing nut to just a drip every 8 to 10 seconds. So prior to the engine starting problem, there was cool lake water constantly entering the bilge area and being pumped out, keeping the fuel line cool and no starting problems. Does anybody think this is just coincidence or not, or any other ideas on the problem?

Possibly. Especially if running the blower a lot is fixing it too. So the same solutions for you too..... run the blower a lot, fuel line insulation, fuel pump insulation, auxiliary fuel pump, fuel conditioner, check your fuel pressure under all conditions, etc.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My boat does this every time we stop at the sand bar for a long period of time. I have tried everything except for the back up fuel pump. I just skeet a shot of starter fluid into the flame arrestor and she will fire right back up. Don't like doing that, but I don't have time to sit on the water and wait for the fuel to cool down. That has taken as long as an hour before.