Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

problems after engine removal

I recently had the engine replaced in the boat and since then I believe the timing is off. starts and idles fine but no pulling power the mechanic who did it set the distributor back in the same spot but it seems to pop alot. Also the gauges do not work correctly amp gauge not at all and the tach bounces back and forth between 0 and pegged. the only wires removed were the alternator wires, ground and starter wires and one sensor on the bell housing. two of the three on the alternator could be reversed but i swithched them with no change. Any ideas?

I recently had the engine replaced in the boat and since then I believe the timing is off. starts and idles fine but no pulling power the mechanic who did it set the distributor back in the same spot but it seems to pop alot. Also the gauges do not work correctly amp gauge not at all and the tach bounces back and forth between 0 and pegged. the only wires removed were the alternator wires, ground and starter wires and one sensor on the bell housing. two of the three on the alternator could be reversed but i swithched them with no change. Any ideas?

honestly you should take it back to the mechanic until it is right. If you paid good money for a new engine installed, it should run flawlessly before you get it back.

Sounds like you have a bad ground on the new engine - probably was painted over.

As for timing the thing out - saying "the distributor is in the same place" is not how to properly time an engine. Have him set the timing correctly.

-Chris

Sounds like he has the distributor off a tooth or two that usaly causes the backfires. He may of been able to advance it enough to let it start but under a load it will have no power and will back fire.

Thr wireing sounds like a ground issue, or the wires are mixed up from the distributor and the tack wire.

Edited by rodman