Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat pulls hard to the right

I bought a used 2004 Response LXI and just put it in the water for the first time. It pulls rally hard to the right and if I let go of the wheel it turns really hard right by itself. When I bought it it had a broken (in half) front tracking fin which I replaced with a new one. I also had to replace the prop as it was trashed. Obviously the previous owner hit a rock. If I look at it from the back of the boat I can see the the middle tracking fin is also bent a little to the left (about 1/2 inch out at the tip). Would this bent turning fin (only bent a little) cause the boat to pull so hard to the right?

I also need to clean a clogged IAC (Idle air control)sensor. Does anybody have directions for me on how to do that?

Thanks in advance

Does that mean that the middle tracking fin is supposed to be offset or is it actually bent?

Perfect! Your boat should turn firmly to the right at about 26 mph.

:plus1: Yup, that's what it's supposed to do. It allows you to drive in a straight line, such as a slalom course.

Does that mean that the middle tracking fin is supposed to be offset or is it actually bent?

Tracking fins are generally offset to prevent hydroponic harmonic resonance. :guns:

Edited by eyepeeler

err..no eyepeeler, unless you're joking. :)

The Response and Response LX models should all have the tracking fins canted to the right to help provide a level boat ride.

The Response LXi (07-up I believe) should have fins aligned, as it was the first boat they computer cut the plugs and they found it didn't need to offset the tracking fins.

The offset is generally recognized as a 1/4" angle from centerline. Leading edge is 1/8" right, and trailing edge is 1/8" left. Each fin should be canted on it's centerline, so the 3 fins will be staggered.

Peter

No, I think he’s serious. The harmonic modulator was designed to prevent the sonic imbalancor from extricating the hemispheric contraction device. It also prevents Subway flatulence. :crazy::woot::help:

The Response and Response LX models should all have the tracking fins canted to the right to help provide a level boat ride.

The Response LXi (07-up I believe) should have fins aligned, as it was the first boat they computer cut the plugs and they found it didn't need to offset the tracking fins.

The offset is generally recognized as a 1/4" angle from centerline. Leading edge is 1/8" right, and trailing edge is 1/8" left. Each fin should be canted on it's centerline, so the 3 fins will be staggered.

Peter

That's what I meant! :thankyou::notworthy: