Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electronics gadgets on Boats. Why do folks like them?

JeffS

One last post on my own topic. I totally get that it's awesome to have these systems when they work. I just think it is short sighted. In 10 or 12 years, what will people say about 2010 Malibus? Today - buyers can look back at the 1996-1998 boats, and with the exception of some quirks like the stuffing box on the older Response boats...they are sought after and respected. Considered reliable, well built boats that hold value well, are restored at times when necessary - they're not disposable. That helps with the demand for new boats. Folks look back at the old boats to decide if the new boats are worth considering. Honda cars are high demand because the old Hondas age well and are reliable as old cars - so the new cars are in higher demand.

I know Supra and MC are doing the same thing - just seems there's a marksman with a big gun aimed directly at his foot, sitting in the chair that makes decisions on what goes in to new boats. Technology doesn't age well. Period. And boats largely last longer than cars. And they are very wet. Just makes me shake my head and wonder.

All the same was said about fuel injection and cpu's. I do see your point of view but I think it's the minority viewpoint vs the crowd that does like the new technology. You know what they say "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way".. I don't think Malibu really had/has a choice if they want to stay in the forefront.

All the same was said about fuel injection and cpu's. I do see your point of view but I think it's the minority viewpoint vs the crowd that does like the new technology. You know what they say "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way".. I don't think Malibu really had/has a choice if they want to stay in the forefront.

Well, there's a bit of a difference between efi and maliview. EFI is Indmar, which is leveraged across many marine applications, and Indmar is GM, which is leveraged across a buttload of applications. Maliview is a one manufacturer/one application deal. How many maliviews even exist in the world....? A couple thousand max? Vs. how many indmar efi motors (and then GM motors as a backstop)?

Edited by shawndoggy
martinarcher

Technology?...It is just marketing. Malibu doesn't care about the value of the boats in 5-10-15 years. They are only intersted in the value of NEW boats, because that is where they make their money. There is no money in the Euro F3 for Malibu except for the few parts you may need to buy from them that you cant get at NAPA.

I presonally would opt-out of the Mali-view if I had the choice. Too much computer gear that has not been tested extensively enough...it seems to me.

Having said that...I'll bet the older Malibu owners are the only people on this forum that still know how to rebuild a carburator. It is becoming a lost art.

Stereo? I gotta have my sounds, period...and they don't get wet.

Rockon.gif

Well, there's a bit of a difference between efi and maliview. EFI is Indmar, which is leveraged across many marine applications, and Indmar is GM, which is leveraged across a buttload of applications. Maliview is a one manufacturer/one application deal. How many maliviews even exist in the world....? A couple thousand max? Vs. how many indmar efi motors (and then GM motors as a backstop)?

Why are you stuck on maliview I said nothing about maliview. We're talking about new technology and gadgets in general. My point was about new technology and all you can point out is Maliview?

I think every single boat manufacturer uses a "Malivue" type option or as a standard on their boats now. All made by the same company so I'll assume there are way more than a few thousand out there now.

Edited by 06vlx

Why are you stuck on maliview I said nothing about maliview. We're talking about new technology and gadgets in general. My point was about new technology and all you can point out is Maliview?

I think every single boat manufacturer uses a "Malivue" type option or as a standard on their boats now. All made by the same company so I'll assume there are way more than a few thousand out there now.

Because that's what the OP's post was about?

The fact that every manufacturer has the option does not make it a good option. As a comparison, try using an oem vehicle navigation system from ten years ago. Expensive to replace and less functional than a plug and play unit from today. For the most part those can be upgraded with an aftermarket touch screen to bring you in to a more modern era (where gauges and other controls aren't incorporated in the display, anyway).

But where dash gauges are incorporated is that possible? Are you saying that mastercraft/correct craft/skiers choice/tige are all using dash guages that work on a standard format and that aftermarket solutions will be plug and play? Honest question, and if the answer is yes, then please prepare my crow medium rare, because then I think you are right that there might be enough demand for an aftermarket player ten years from now.

Because that's what the OP's post was about?

The fact that every manufacturer has the option does not make it a good option. As a comparison, try using an oem vehicle navigation system from ten years ago. Expensive to replace and less functional than a plug and play unit from today. For the most part those can be upgraded with an aftermarket touch screen to bring you in to a more modern era (where gauges and other controls aren't incorporated in the display, anyway).

But where dash gauges are incorporated is that possible? Are you saying that mastercraft/correct craft/skiers choice/tige are all using dash guages that work on a standard format and that aftermarket solutions will be plug and play? Honest question, and if the answer is yes, then please prepare my crow medium rare, because then I think you are right that there might be enough demand for an aftermarket player ten years from now.

Malivue was just one example of what the OP was talking about.

I'm saying that the company making all of these computer screen systems for these manufacturers is the same, not sure if that answers your question or not.

I'm saying that the company making all of these computer screen systems for these manufacturers is the same, not sure if that answers your question or not.

Channels of distribution are still pretty tight tho -- just note Malibu's unwillingness to allow installation of maliview in the 08s.

Channels of distribution are still pretty tight tho -- just note Malibu's unwillingness to allow installation of maliview in the 08s.

That had nothing to do with distribution, it had everything to do with getting rid of left over 08' inventory and it was a motivator to buy a new one from a dealer and they would throw it in if someone was on the fence between an 08' and 09' boat.

Edited by 06vlx

Yes, Computron. What say everyone about that? What's the excuses why it's dif.? I'd like to know.

You don't think Maliview will turn out the same way? And if Malibu is out of business, then what? Is it not integrated into the Malibu wiring harness?

Does Malibu provide a schematic of their system? That's a doosey of a question.

Think the Malibu dealer will let me take a hose to their new boat dashes? Maybe I'll go test drive one and give it a soaking to see what it does. Oh wait, you guys are already having enough electrical problems on new boats.

I mean even the throttles nowadays don't work with old boats. Well they work, but aren't comfortable because they have a bend.

We're not talking million dollar boats. Middle class people who must buy used boats won't have money to replace electronics.

I agree with the OP on some things. The Maliview, MUX switches & messed up sound system in particular. The 09 Vride a buddy of mine has is pretty ideal..... regular switches, no Maliview, etc.

We have a pretty nice stereo (although conventional) & Perfect Pass & both work fine on this boat. I see people messing with PP a lot & we don't. What chaps me is when a driver forgets to engage PP, starts pulling their rider, then shuts the boat down so he can engage PP. WTF??? Drive, meathead. If you forget PP, then consider goin old school & pay attention.

Throttle by wire should be a non-issue and not even mentioned in this thread since it has been in use on the roads for over a decade...unless there is a specific problem with Malibu's throttle by wire that I don't know about.

...BTW, some of you guys are really showing your age... :whistle:

I'm getting a kick out of how adamant the guys with "older" boats are about this issue especially when they aren't the ones that have to deal with any of the potential future issues associated with these gadgets. I mean if they do fail and renders the boat that worthless wouldn't it raise the value of their boats? :rofl: .

Edited for Shawndoggy to add clarity to what I meant:

Edited by 06vlx

Technology?...It is just marketing. Malibu doesn't care about the value of the boats in 5-10-15 years. They are only intersted in the value of NEW boats, because that is where they make their money. There is no money in the Euro F3 for Malibu except for the few parts you may need to buy from them that you cant get at NAPA.

Totally agree - but mfr's learned long ago that how people feel about the old version of their boat is inspiring to people considering a new one. Which is the basis why I'm pondering this at all. I don't believe these new techno-marvels will be worth a damn in 12 years. Oodles of basic features that just won't work - at all - unless they get replaced or rewired as stand-alone functions on separate switches. Not sure of it - but pretty-sure of it. Some owner somewhere will get caught pants down, after the reviews come out - "don't buy a [such'n-such brand/model], the electronics crap out and stuff doesn't work without $xx,xxx worth of probable repairs..."

I presonally would opt-out of the Mali-view if I had the choice. Too much computer gear that has not been tested extensively enough...it seems to me.

Me too.

Having said that...I'll bet the older Malibu owners are the only people on this forum that still know how to rebuild a carburator. It is becoming a lost art.

Agree. I love my carb motor. I can buy a new carb when the old one wears out - and can adjust timing, jets, secondaries, idle speed, hesitation etc., all on the water on the fly - just based on sound, performance and the smell of the exhaust. Totally agree though - that's a dying art from the hot-rod days long ago.

Stereo? I gotta have my sounds, period...and they don't get wet.

I agree 100% - I have a fairly nice stereo too - and they do get very wet. Condensation, plus all the moisture in the carpeting...those components get way wetter than if they were in a car.

And anyone thinking this is adamant or envy - it's not. It's just a curiosity and I put it out there for conversation. My EuroF3 isn't my choice because of finances...I just won't put my money on the line for a $65,000 runabout. That's just my choice. Everyone's situation is their own. With that said, my max loss if my boat becomes worthless because of market conditions or whatever, is about $7,500. I'm concerned for all of you that have tens upon tens of thousands on the line. If Malibu's gidgets or reputation don't hold up - it's huge dollars that evaporate. Just sayin'.

Edited by JeffS

I'm on my fourth bu which is 5 years old. My first was a 91, second was 97, third 2000, 4th 2005. The first two had multiple electrical problems the last two none outside of a misaligned alternator on the 2000. Besides, I really don't read much on this site about newer boats having a lot of problems.

Edited by LS-One

Any thoughts on why the aftermarket isn't stepping in here?

Any thoughts on why the aftermarket isn't stepping in here?

If you're asking me I'd say it wouldn't be very lucrative to take that on in the aftermarket arena.

For me it's all about what do I do when it breaks...

If PP breaks, I'm pretty sure I can get that from them PP.

Stereo: with a "normal" sized deck anything is possible..

I'm for using standardized parts in boats. If a 2-1/8" (automotive standard size) gauge goes bad, I can replace it.

Don't know that I'd take boats all the way back to carburetion... but I don't see the need for Malivue, computron, ballast gauges, brand specific stereos and switches, etc...

They are just more things to go wrong. The aftermarket will never go after such niche items. There is no volume in them.

I don't know it to be true - but think about it - you have an 10 year old boat with a dead touch screen, and you can't even turn on your blower to start the boat? Can't turn on nav lights? At that point - it's not just silly, short sighted and a mistake - it's ubber-stupid.

I don't know it to be true - but think about it - you have an 10 year old boat with a dead touch screen, and you can't even turn on your blower to start the boat? Can't turn on nav lights? At that point - it's not just silly, short sighted and a mistake - it's ubber-stupid.

:plus1::Doh:

I'm wit you!