Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fully weighted VLX + some

Cdoogles

Hey folks. I have been searching the forums like crazy and haven't found an exact answer to this so I thought I would just ask.

I have a 2007 VLX with quad ballast and power wedge. It only has the Monsoon 340 engine. For wakeboarding I would ideally like to run with the following weight setup:

-Stock quad ballast all full

-2 Fly High 750s in rear lockers

-800lbs in bow on top of seats

-Full gas tank and 3-4 people in boat

I currently have the ACME 537 prop tuned down to 14.5 degree pitch and it will only get on plane with the rear stock ballast drained and a little bit drained from the center ballast, which is pretty much what I expected.

Has anyone ran this setup or similar with a OJ 468 or ACME 1235 Prop? If so, did it get on plane without trouble? Also, were you able to use the power wedge in the fully down (not maximum wake) position for shaping?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey folks. I have been searching the forums like crazy and haven't found an exact answer to this so I thought I would just ask.

I have a 2007 VLX with quad ballast and power wedge. It only has the Monsoon 340 engine. For wakeboarding I would ideally like to run with the following weight setup:

I currently have the ACME 537 prop tuned down to 14.5 degree pitch and it will only get on plane with the rear stock ballast drained and a little bit drained from the center ballast, which is pretty much what I expected.

Has anyone ran this setup or similar with a OJ 468 or ACME 1235 Prop? If so, did it get on plane without trouble? Also, were you able to use the power wedge in the fully down (not maximum wake) position for shaping?

I've ran similar weight in my 06vlx with the 1235 and it got the job done where there was no way the 537 was gonna make it happen.

OK IMO I think you have a lot weigth in the back of the boat. i think if you add some weigth on the front and change the prop you will get him on plane w the wedge fully deployed. i didnt test that set up but i test similar weigth on my 2010 vlx monsoon 35o HP with acme 1235 and its easy to get in plane. i use 2 big sacs in the lounge of the boat, and 6 adults plus, full ballast, wedge and full tank. The engine runs at 3750 RPM at 24 miles, 82 ft rope and great wake.

I have put a lot of weight in the boat, similar to what you might be looking at. Yes those two props listed will do it, but it won't be a rocket. I believe I have the OJ prop listed below, I would have to double check. The most I have carried was in the range of about 900 extra pounds of weight, full ballast, wedge, and I believe 8 people and I was at around 6000 ft in elevation. It did it but it took a lille time to get on plane and we had to pull people out of the bow because when we slowed we were taken on water no matter how slow we came off plane.

Cool. Thanks for the input! So it sounds like the prop will get that much weight on plane which is good news. It would be awesome if I could experiment with the power wedge to shape the wake some too, but we will see what I get once I get the prop.

As for the boat not being a rocket with that much weight, I am okay with a 20-30 second time to get on plane. With this small of an engine and the amount of weight I want to carry that's just the way it's going to be.

On the distribution part, are there people carrying more than 7-800lbs on top of the stock bow ballast up front? The 750's fit great in the back, so I'd like to keep those and just add more up front if needed. I know some of the bow sacks reach around a thousand pounds so I could likely get more up front if needed!

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close the loop on my original question I got my new acme 1235 prop this weekend and got to play with the weight some. So, with full gas, 3 people in the boat, full quad ballast, full 750s in the rear, about 750 in the bow area, the boat would get on plane and the weight was great at about 24.2mph and 83'. I was able to run without the wedge or with it all the way down and it didn't make a huge difference in the wake, but did make steering a pain. Note that Im this configuration 3 people maybe 4 is about as many as you can have in the boat. We had more and then there was no way we were getting on plane. I would like to try this setup with about a thousand up front but didn't get the chance yet. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Just to close the loop on my original question I got my new acme 1235 prop this weekend and got to play with the weight some. So, with full gas, 3 people in the boat, full quad ballast, full 750s in the rear, about 750 in the bow area, the boat would get on plane and the weight was great at about 24.2mph and 83'. I was able to run without the wedge or with it all the way down and it didn't make a huge difference in the wake, but did make steering a pain. Note that Im this configuration 3 people maybe 4 is about as many as you can have in the boat. We had more and then there was no way we were getting on plane. I would like to try this setup with about a thousand up front but didn't get the chance yet. Thanks again for all the help guys.

just curious, what is your fuel consumption at 24.2mph and that config?

IMO yo need may be more weight onj the bow.

If you are using wedge Try to balance 40 % rear 60% bow. W/out wedge I will like 50/50.

My boat handles very well fully loaded

strange that you were not able to get up on plan with that configuration and 4+ adults. I have run the exact same configuration, including wedge (except with 2x400lbs instead of 1x800 in the bow) and 6 male adults (ranging from 170 - 220lbs) with a OJ 475 and did not have a problem getting up on plane. i thought that the 1235 was supposed to provide more torque...

So to clarify I did get on plane with the original config. The issue I ran into was with all the weight and 8 people in the boat. The main issue there was lack of bow weight. I drained the rear ballast tanks (750s still full) and had one of the guys sit in the nose and it slowly made its way on plane. I am thinking of getting one of the big fly high 1000lb integrated bow sacks to solve lack of bow weight issues.....

He probably fills up every hour Tease2.gif

Pretty much :) There are only a few of us who ride with this much weight...but I figure that I bought this boat for the wake and if it costs me an extra $20 bucks each time I wakeboard behind it, then so be it... the Malibu wake is worth it's weight in fuel costs when it's done right!

You'll like the OJ 468 better than the 1235 w/ that much weight. Nvboarder and I run that same prop, and imho the best prop for a VLX w/ the monsoon.

Hmmm... Well, I just got the 1235 and I did get a steal of a deal on it, brand new from a new forum member. I guess I will keep my eyes open for a good price on the 468 and maybe I can sell mine on ebay and make it happen. Thanks for the tip!

Hmmm... Well, I just got the 1235 and I did get a steal of a deal on it, brand new from a new forum member. I guess I will keep my eyes open for a good price on the 468 and maybe I can sell mine on ebay and make it happen. Thanks for the tip!

Well the 1235 is soooooo much better than the 537 almost anything is when adding weight/people, but if you can score a 468 I would jump on it.