Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1988 Malibu Long layup, what now???

I just finally got my Malibu out of storage. It is in a lot better shape than I thought it would be in. I was just wondering what you guys think I should do as far as tune up, and where I can buy parts. I live in norther California. It has been stored for 9 years. I put it away with a full tank of gas that I will drain, I will change oil, plugs. Any other stuff I should change? all the hoses look to be in great condition, no cracking or anything. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

I just finally got my Malibu out of storage. It is in a lot better shape than I thought it would be in. I was just wondering what you guys think I should do as far as tune up, and where I can buy parts. I live in norther California. It has been stored for 9 years. I put it away with a full tank of gas that I will drain, I will change oil, plugs. Any other stuff I should change? all the hoses look to be in great condition, no cracking or anything. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Cool. what kind of 88? Skier or sunsetter?

If you do the above and it starts, then I'd go from there based on how it runs. Then just make sure it doesn't get hot. You're going to want to change the impeller too.

Oil, plugs, cap and rotor, impeller, fuel filter and a new battery are a must. I would also go ahead and replace the thermostat while you're at it.

-Chris

While you got the plugs out you may want to skeet a little fogging oil or marvel mystery oil in there and bump the starter to lubricate some internal parts.

Yeah I was thinking of that. Just to lube the cylinder walls. Its an 88 Malibu Skier. De badged, aka no mor Malibu on the side. Ill try and get some pics posted up tomorrow. The motor looks brand new. Its only got 450hrs on the clock.

after 9 years of storage at least some of the rubber parts will be headed to failure. maybe not immediately but certainly when it's not convenient.

depending on your planned use of the rig you may wish to plan for it. minimum: a spare belt is cheap insurance. out on big ponds for long days? i'd have more spares (hoses) in the boat.

that boat may run dandy for a long time but that one time when you have stretched your luck with the days fuel, the sky has turned black, the wind just ramped up to 35mph, two of the kids are launching their lunch and your wake boarder just broke his arm you are going to blow a coolant hose.

Anyone know where to get parts like hoses, pump internals, etc. Id like to get this thing up and running asap! Summer is here in full force

Got great news. I figured what the hell, siphoned 10 gallons out of the tank and the gas looked brand new. Swapped in a new coil, hooked up a new battery, and the fake a lake. A little spray of starting fluid and the 3rd crank she fired and ran perfectly. Like it has never been stored. I turned it off after 5 min and checked all the fluid, oil looks great( im changing it anyways) and upon re start my pump took a s***. I was already planning on ordering a new one. So tomorrow all new hoses, belts and impellar for the pump will be ordered. I should have this thing on the water in a week or so. I also recieved my porta cable buffer today. Thing is amazing, pulled all the oxidation off the bow. Hope to have all the parts this weekend, if not the boat will get a full detail and polish.

Wow...that's a cool looking boat. Glad it started right up for you.

I'd still get rid of the rest of that 9 year old gas, whether it looked like new or not...but that's just me.

Yeah Im going to siphon the rest out and change the fuel filter too. I just wanted to hear this thing run. Didnt want to buy all the tune up parts to find out the motor is froze. But now let the ordering begin!!!

If you don't mind my asking, what's the story behind the 9 year layup?

Ever since I was about 3 or 4 years old my parents would take me to the lake with our boat. Once I started playing sports competitvely the boat got put on the back burner. So whe I was about 14 or 15 summer time was overtaken with baseball. Now its over and I want to use this thing.

Great lookin boat!!

Where would you go? Berry? Sonoma?

Have fun!

Bullards bar, lake orville, Mendicino, Clear lake, and probably heading out to sonoma because it is so close. Great to test on.