Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to Repair Dull Gel Coat Spot?

I have a dull spot on my gelcoat, where the cover was rubbing on it. Maybe 2"x2". What is the best way to get this out, and get the shine back? Also I have a "Light brown" spot on my white gelcoat about 3"x3" that I can't seem to get out with cleaner. Any ideas on that one?

I have a dull spot on my gelcoat, where the cover was rubbing on it. Maybe 2"x2". What is the best way to get this out, and get the shine back? Also I have a "Light brown" spot on my white gelcoat about 3"x3" that I can't seem to get out with cleaner. Any ideas on that one?

3M Finess It 2 and a high speed buffer with a wool pad. If the wool pad doesn't get it out you can go to a more aggressive foam pad like yellow. Follow that up with the wool or black foam pad and you're golden. Don't hold it in one place, keep it moving over the area.

3M Finess It 2 and a high speed buffer with a wool pad. If the wool pad doesn't get it out you can go to a more aggressive foam pad like yellow. Follow that up with the wool or black foam pad and you're golden. Don't hold it in one place, keep it moving over the area.

Yep 06 summed it all up, if the glass is stained brown you may never get that out. Maybe some 2000 grit sand paper may help also. You won't get into any trouble with that.

Has anyone used one of those buffers that you just put on the end of a power drill? Any luck with those?

In my opinion, those were harder to use than a high speed buffer. I bought the Meguires three step kit with the pads to shine up my oxidized boat last year,

Has anyone used one of those buffers that you just put on the end of a power drill? Any luck with those?

Wrong application and they won't work for anything other than waxing and polishing aluminum.

Wrong application and they won't work for anything other than waxing and polishing aluminum.

I haven't even had them work well for that either.

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive polisher that works fine for polishing the billet t-bars on our SkySkis. Might be the polisher & it might be the Mother's Billet polish. But either way, get the better quality pads like 06 describes.