Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Brake Lines

So, I finally got a free day to work on my trailer brakes, which will probably entail replacing the backing plates and hubs. I don't think my brakes have been bled...ever. The brake fitting on the wheel cylinder and the bleeder valve both just stripped away as I tried to loosen them. The trailer was painted after all of these were installed ten years ago, so the wrench just slid around the nut and stripped both of them. Do I really have any other option but to cut the brake lines and replace them along with the backing plates? Has anyone ever done this? Any tips?

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I just kept working on the bleeder valve and finally got it loose. I happened to have an old socket for a square nut and drove it on the bleeder valve with a hammer. Got the bleeder valve loose. :clap: I would just keep working on it.

So, I finally got a free day to work on my trailer brakes, which will probably entail replacing the backing plates and hubs. I don't think my brakes have been bled...ever. The brake fitting on the wheel cylinder and the bleeder valve both just stripped away as I tried to loosen them. The trailer was painted after all of these were installed ten years ago, so the wrench just slid around the nut and stripped both of them. Do I really have any other option but to cut the brake lines and replace them along with the backing plates? Has anyone ever done this? Any tips?

What is stripped the head of the bleeder or the threads into the cylinder?

What is stripped the head of the bleeder or the threads into the cylinder?

The head of the bleeder and the head (of the nut) of the brake line that connects to the wheel cylider.

The head of the bleeder and the head (of the nut) of the brake line that connects to the wheel cylider.

To late now but there are special wrenches called line wrenches that will keep them from striping. Here is what to do get a pair of vice grips and catch on to the bleeder and work it right and left if you can. If it does't move take the wheel off, take the brakes apart along with the boot,cap plunger and spring out of the wheel cylinder. Take a torch and heat the bleader up after it is hot use a candle and let it melt on the threads the wax will get into the threads and will let the bleeder come out. Take your time. All you need to do then is get new bleeders.

Or you can do just what I did, I redid the whole system with stainless lines new loader backing plates and master. I use dot 5 brake fluid witch is silicone.