Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

can someone post a pic of their rudder

Buschy

like the title says. on my ruder there is a little part in the middle and I am trying to see how this is supposed to look. also what is the purpose of this.

it doesnt move I dont think.

Yes you can move it, however I have never done it with the adjustable rudder. Back in the day you would just use a grinder to take material off one side of the rudder to adjust the pressure. The more pressure on one side the more the boat will steer to the opposite side. Course skiers like this because it will leave the boat with tighter steering. That leads to less drift side to side. In the event of equal pressure (neutral steering) there will be some play in the wheel.

For cruising and I guess boarding, it may not be a big deal to you.

I'm curious about this too. I've read that you can "load" the boat using this adjustable tab but can't find any directions on which way to move it.

If I want the best results in the course and have the boat track like a freight train, can someone describe which way the tab should be angled and by how much when I'm sitting at the back of the boat, looking at the rudder from under the swim platform?

My dealer is not that knowledgeable when it comes to nitty gritty skiing stuff.

like the title says. on my ruder there is a little part in the middle and I am trying to see how this is supposed to look. also what is the purpose of this.

it doesnt move I dont think.

I hate it when you don't get a manual with the boat, you should talk to your dealer....

From a 2005 Malibu Boat Manual found in the DIY/Resourse section of this board. Good luck with the adjustment:

The Malibu Adjustable

Rudder system allows you to increase or decrease the amount of load

that is typically on the steering system.

If it is determined that your rudder needs adjustment, you can do so

by adjusting tunable feature located on the rudder surface. Locate the

1/8" set-screw. Loosening the set-screw will release the adjustment

tab. If your boat pulls to the right, turn the tab to the right 1/8th to 1/4". Do not move

beyond this point. Only minor adjustments are needed to make a correction. Note that it

may take more than one adjustment to get the desired setting. Tighten the set screw when

adjustment is completed.

edit: should prob put the rest of the instructions up:

Make sure the set-screw is tightened after each adjustment.

Failure to tighten the set-screw could cause erratic steering

and serious damage could result. If you are unsure of the

correct procedure to conduct this adjustment, it is

recommended that you return your boat to your local Malibu

Boat dealership for assistance.

Edited by Cervelo

thanks for all the help, I bought my boat used.

Can anyone share how they have theirs set? mine is set out to the right, I am still not really understanding this? so if your boat pulls to one side then adjust it, like a car alignment, lol?

or would this be benificial when loading one side of the boat or having a person pulled only on one side of the boat.

still dumb sorry.

thanks for all the help, I bought my boat used.

Can anyone share how they have theirs set? mine is set out to the right, I am still not really understanding this? so if your boat pulls to one side then adjust it, like a car alignment, lol?

or would this be benificial when loading one side of the boat or having a person pulled only on one side of the boat.

still dumb sorry.

i think the idea is to leave it alone unless you are having problems. a boat should have some tension on it, ie: should pull slightly if you remove your hand from the steering wheel. This tension keeps the boat straight while driving at speed. Apparently if the rudder is set to dead straight, no tension on steering wheel, you will get some slight side to side movement of the boat as the prop wash vibrates the rudder. ymmv.

i think the idea is to leave it alone unless you are having problems. a boat should have some tension on it, ie: should pull slightly if you remove your hand from the steering wheel. This tension keeps the boat straight while driving at speed. Apparently if the rudder is set to dead straight, no tension on steering wheel, you will get some slight side to side movement of the boat as the prop wash vibrates the rudder. ymmv.

ahh, I get it, thanks.

Similar to an aircraft rudder as well. The torque of the engine will make the boat/ aircraft naturally pull to one side. The rudder adjustment can be turned to limit how much it pulls.

Buschy, think of it this way, if it helps:

A ski boat will generally pull to the right. This is by design, so as the boat pulls the skier through the course, the driver has to use more pressure or less pressure on the steering wheel. If the steering were neutral, the driver might have to correct back and forth with the wheel = boat path not as straight.

The more the tab is adjusted to port, the harder the boat will pull starboard. The faster the boat goes, the harder the wheel will pull.

Left hand rotation props located ahead of the rudder will cause a boat to pull to the right or starboard side. These include Malibu and Master Craft, Nautique goes the opposite direction due to right hand rotation on the prop. As noted, to improve the tracking and stability of a boat pulling a skier through the slalom course, where the path is critical, right pulling torque or additional right pulling torque from the rudder is a desireable characteristic. This allows the driver to only lessen left turn pressure on the wheel to keep the boat path straight as the skier pulls the boat side to side when skiing from buoy to buoy in the ski course. The side to side pull becomes greater as the ski rope is shortened and the rope angle increases to allow the skier to clear the stationalry buoys. A neutral steering boat is very difficult to drive through a ski course as it requires significant amounts of left to right steering to keep it straight.