Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Wedge

kiter861

Anybody ever tried two wedges? if one was deployed wouldn't it be great for surfing? Both down with a heavier bow ballast could be interesting.

Anybody ever tried two wedges? if one was deployed wouldn't it be great for surfing? Both down with a heavier bow ballast could be interesting.

NOt sure how well this would work. I understand the logic for surfing and I've been told MC now has 3 wake plates to allow for surfing. (I wonder why this took so long?) However I think the wedge is major effectiveness is because it is in the line of the prop wash. So I don't know how well it would work? However if you do it, I'd be happy toi come test it out!Thumbup.gif

It would be intersting to see. There is always the issue of will the transom be able to handle it, but I am sure Mailbu can make sure it is strong enough to do so. The main potential problems I see is this:

1. If you space out two wedges does it wash out the wake?

2. How does it effect handling? You have to consider turning and if one wedge is down but the other is not.

3. How much downforce do you want a wedge to create before it becomes too much? Will it adversely effect the wake? The wake could cause the wake to be too soft or missshape it. How much bow ballast would need to be plumbed in to offset the extra downforce in the rear?

The current wedge gives 1250 pounds of downforce I believe. If we get to the 2500-3000 pound range are we going overboard? Would it make more sense to just added more ballast and quicker pumps?

Trust me I am all for innovation and I if this did work, then I am 100% all for it. I would love to see some research done on this. Keep coming up with ideas and you might figure out what the next best thing is.

It would be intersting to see. There is always the issue of will the transom be able to handle it, but I am sure Mailbu can make sure it is strong enough to do so. The main potential problems I see is this:

1. If you space out two wedges does it wash out the wake?

2. How does it effect handling? You have to consider turning and if one wedge is down but the other is not.

3. How much downforce do you want a wedge to create before it becomes too much? Will it adversely effect the wake? The wake could cause the wake to be too soft or missshape it. How much bow ballast would need to be plumbed in to offset the extra downforce in the rear?

The current wedge gives 1250 pounds of downforce I believe. If we get to the 2500-3000 pound range are we going overboard? Would it make more sense to just added more ballast and quicker pumps?

Trust me I am all for innovation and I if this did work, then I am 100% all for it. I would love to see some research done on this. Keep coming up with ideas and you might figure out what the next best thing is.

This is the main reason I like the wedge, because it's instantaneous. All I use is the 4 stock ballast and Manual wedge but I still find myself waiting for the ballast to fill or empty. Quite honestly I CANNOT believe they don't use faster ballast pumps.

Ya I think if they added a couple hundred pounds of ballast and added quicker pumps then I would not dread switching the settings for different riders. (Honestly I don't dread it but it would be nice if I could idle a couple minutes less)

I am sure there is more too it than simply putting in more ballast and quicker pumps, but I think that is an area of improvement I would like to see.