Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dead Cluster Gauge

First time in the water this year for my '99 Sunsetter LXI. I started the engine while still on the trailer in the water and noticed that the oil pressure, temp, fuel and volt gauges were in-op. The engine had started promply with a normal idle, but I shut it down just as a precaution. I pulled the panel and could find nothing obvious in the 95 degree heat. We pulled the trailer and boat out of the water and took it back home. With every thing dead in this cluster gauge, does it need replacement or could something else be wrong?

Thanks, John

With the boat in the shade away from a busy landing I looked at the problem again. All the instruments appear dead including the cluster gauge and the Tach. A circuit breaker labeled "Ignition Computer Horn" is not tripped and shows 12.6 vlts to ground. The horn works, and the engine will start.

I cannot find another breaker or fuse in the wiring loom or wires going to the MDC-1600. Is there a reset on the computer, I can not find one.

Where too now?

Thanks

check the circuit breakers and look for a fuse on the power line to the mdc.

the mdc (medalion display computer?) is the electronics module that feeds the cluster.

Check the ground in the cluster; several people (myself included) with boats from that genre have experienced a bad of intermittent ground to the cluster which causes the gages to be inoperable or to reset.

The ground wirec leading to the cluster instruments are good. There is power to the computer. It looks to me that the MDC is bad. Is there anyway to confirm a defective MDC other than replaceing it?

Thanks.

Check the ground in the cluster; several people (myself included) with boats from that genre have experienced a bad of intermittent ground to the cluster which causes the gages to be inoperable or to reset.

• 1 year later...

I have had the intermittent dead engine cluster in my 03 Sunsetter for the past few years. This year it finally quit working completely. Tried all the suggestions from this forum, clean grounds, etc. Then I started looking at power side of the MDC, discovered there is no circuit breaker for the computer. I then found a couple of inline fuses in the harness about 8" from the MDC. One (the 0.75 A) was broken so when I touched it, it fell apart in my hands. Installed a new fuse holder and engine cluster is alive again.