Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bad fuel consumption

Put 40 gal of fuel in yesterday and ran about 35 miles back and fourth to both marinas. came back with a 1/8 tank was doing about 30-35 mph some idle and 5 mph speed. Question can you read the live data on the ecm and if so, where is the dlc connector is this an obd system can it be scanned with a gm tech II scanner or snap on modis or do i have to do a pin point test on all the sensors. Which i believe in this case since it is not a true feed back system would only be the cts and fuel pressure, the ignition system would not have any bearing to fuel consumptions since it is not running bad but dose seem to be a little rich on start up you can smell it in the exhaust

Edited by dlll

You are probably delivering too much fuel pressure to the injectors. Filter screen on fuel pressure regulator is probably clogged.

but 40 gal of fuel in yesterday and ran about 35 miles back and fourth to both marinas. can back with a 1/8 was doing about 3o-35 mph some idle and 5 mph send. Question can you read the live data on the ecm and if so, where is the dlc connector is this an obd system can it be scanned with a gm tech of snap on modis or do i have to do a pin point test on all the sensors. Which i believe in this case since it is not a true feed back system would only be the cts and fuel pressure, the ignition system would not have any bearing to fuel consumptions since it is not running bad but dose seem to be a little rich on start up you can smell it in the exhaust

Put 40 gal of fuel in yesterday and ran about 35 miles back and fourth to both marinas. came back with a 1/8 tank was doing about 30-35 mph some idle and 5 mph speed. Question can you read the live data on the ecm and if so, where is the dlc connector is this an obd system can it be scanned with a gm tech II scanner or snap on modis or do i have to do a pin point test on all the sensors. Which i believe in this case since it is not a true feed back system would only be the cts and fuel pressure, the ignition system would not have any bearing to fuel consumptions since it is not running bad but dose seem to be a little rich on start up you can smell it in the exhaust

If you are only reading the dash gauge, be warned, they are not very accurate. When mine reads about 1/8 tank, I still have 20gal of the original 40.....

Pre 08'+ boats were about 1/4 tank off. You had 1/4 tank left when it read 0 (at least in my experience). My 09 is accurate don't ask me how I know :whistle: .

Yea, if you are just going by the guage, things might not be as bad as you think.

When I bought my boat, I filled it up on the way home (35 gallon tank) and ran it around the lake the next day for maybe 4 hours. Gauge read empty. I was panicked thinking to myself "what have I gotten into with this fuel hog". At the gas station, it only held 15 or so gallons, so I felt better.

Then I replaced the fuel sending unit with one from teleflex and now my gauge is very close to being as accurate as the one in my car.