Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change question

I did an oil change on my new (to me) boat this weekend. The manual said the capacity with the filter was about 5.5 quarts. I used an oil pump to pump it out the dipstick tube, and then changed the filter. The strange point is that it only took about 4 qts to bring it to the full line on the dipstick. This was after starting it up to make sure the filter filled back up with oil.

Where is this other 1.5 qts? (I used it for a day and then checked the oil, which was perfectly clean. So I doubt that there was much leftover dirty oil).

Do most of you buy the mercruiser oil filters and oil, or does the standard automotive 40 wt oil and Fram filter work perfectly fine?

I did an oil change on my new (to me) boat this weekend. The manual said the capacity with the filter was about 5.5 quarts. I used an oil pump to pump it out the dipstick tube, and then changed the filter. The strange point is that it only took about 4 qts to bring it to the full line on the dipstick. This was after starting it up to make sure the filter filled back up with oil.

Where is this other 1.5 qts? (I used it for a day and then checked the oil, which was perfectly clean. So I doubt that there was much leftover dirty oil).

Do most of you buy the mercruiser oil filters and oil, or does the standard automotive 40 wt oil and Fram filter work perfectly fine?

How much oil was pulled out? - 4 qts?

25-40 oil - not straight weight.

I have the 5.7 Carb Mag Merc in my 97 and I use 5 qt Shell Rotella T 15W40 and the NAPA Gold filter.

If you sucked the oil out of the dipstick tube, my guess is that you missed some in the passages and in the bottom of the pan. Along with being a bit low I can see how you might be a 1/2 to a qt off.

If you don't have one, get a drain kit to install in the bottom of your drain pan and run the hose out of the bilge pug hole to drain the oil. It doesn't get easier than that!

I have the 5.7 Carb Mag Merc in my 97 and I use 5 qt Shell Rotella T 15W40 and the NAPA Gold filter.

If you sucked the oil out of the dipstick tube, my guess is that you missed some in the passages and in the bottom of the pan. Along with being a bit low I can see how you might be a 1/2 to a qt off.

If you don't have one, get a drain kit to install in the bottom of your drain pan and run the hose out of the bilge pug hole to drain the oil. It doesn't get easier than that!

...you would have oil all over your face.

…you wouldn’t have to worry about getting chapped lips.

…the neighbors would be giving you strange looks.

...you would have oil all over your face.

…you wouldn’t have to worry about getting chapped lips.

…the neighbors would be giving you strange looks.

slick as a whistle - inside and out!:lol: