Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet spot in Sportster

rugby15

I have a 2001 Sportster that we just recently purchased from a family friend.Very low hours, 177. We have been using it for a few weeks now and have noticed a wet spot in the right rear corner, under the back seat. Is this a known problem? We checked the hull etc and cannot find any cracks. Any info is great.

i would start with:

• transom plug snug?
  • speedo pitot tube leaking within the boat?
  • mounting bolts for the swim platform and wedge tight, sealed?
  • exhaust brackets and tubes secure?

Edited by tvano

My money is on the pitot tubes from the speedo pickups, two black tubes about .25" diameter running up under the gunnel.

Besides what others have mentioned the rubrail can be a problem area.

Are you using it for surfing on that side? Any chance the rub-rail is under water at any time while underway or when getting slammed by a stern roller upon stopping?

• 11 months later...

I have a 2001 Sportster that we just recently purchased from a family friend.Very low hours, 177. We have been using it for a few weeks now and have noticed a wet spot in the right rear corner, under the back seat. Is this a known problem? We checked the hull etc and cannot find any cracks. Any info is great.

Check the bilge tube connection. Mine came off the fitting and was basically pumping the bilge water onto the floor behind the rear seat in the right rear corner. I just had to reinstall and tighten the hose clamp.

Check the bilge tube connection. Mine came off the fitting and was basically pumping the bilge water onto the floor behind the rear seat in the right rear corner. I just had to reinstall and tighten the hose clamp.

Your bilge pump is ported at the stern? :unsure: The bilge pump is mounted up by the ski pylon so it is usually run to a thru-hull fitting in the starboard side just in front of the driver. That location also allows the driver to know whenever the bilge pump turns on. Maybe they did things differently back in the 90's?? :dontknow:

Is that the same side people always into when getting back in the boat?

Nope, wetspot is clearly concentrated in the back right corner, even when no one is skiing. Can't be bilge connection, though...that's in front of the driver seat.

Nope, wetspot is clearly concentrated in the back right corner, even when no one is skiing. Can't be bilge connection, though...that's in front of the driver seat.

Sure seems like it would be the pitot tube or the rivets holding on the rubrail. Any moisture in the carpet on the sidewalls? While underway use a flashlight and look back along the sidewall next to the gas tank.

• 1 month later...

my 98 had this same problem, I completely removed the rear seat back which is a total PITA and found the water was coming in @ the hull deck joint further inspection found black silicone added under the rub rail

I put on some rubber gloves and with a couple handfuls of bathroom sealant I covered the joint from the inside of the boat let it cure for 24 hours as well as masked off the hull and added a new bead of black silicone

under the rub rail - problem solved

Dan T