Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SLOW fuel fill up @ the pump!!!!

95 Sunsetter. When filling the boat up I have to go slower than the first click on the handle and still yet it sometime gurgles up and spits out. I have taken the vent cap completly off while filling and it made no difference. I can blow in the vent and it feels and sounds like its not clogged. Any ideas of how to cure this. I am at my wits end here..... HELP!!!!

Edited by scout1ton

95 Sunsetter. When filling the boat up I have to go slower than the first click on the handle and still yet it sometime gurgles up and spits out. I have taken the vent cap completly off while filling and it made no difference. I can blow in the vent and it feels and sounds like its not clogged. Any ideas of how to cure this. I am at my wits end here..... HELP!!!!

Well, I don't know exactly how to help you, but I'll give you my 2 cents. I have a 1997 Sunsetter. I cannot squeeze the pump handle all the way (usually 3/4 of the way), but yours sounds way worse. It never takes me that long to fill up.

I'd start by removing your rear seat and having a look at your hoses running into the tank. You should be able to tell if anything looks funny. You never know what the previous owner has done to your boat, believe me, I know from experience! :Doh: Make sure nothing is kinked. The hoses from the gas cap and vent should have a pretty straight shot to the top of the tank.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some better info for you.

Well, I don't know exactly how to help you, but I'll give you my 2 cents. I have a 1997 Sunsetter. I cannot squeeze the pump handle all the way (usually 3/4 of the way), but yours sounds way worse. It never takes me that long to fill up.

I'd start by removing your rear seat and having a look at your hoses running into the tank. You should be able to tell if anything looks funny. You never know what the previous owner has done to your boat, believe me, I know from experience! :Doh: Make sure nothing is kinked. The hoses from the gas cap and vent should have a pretty straight shot to the top of the tank.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some better info for you.

I would love to be able to squeeze it to any click, instead of having to set there and baby-sit it. If I remember correctly I looked at hoses last year when I redid my skins. Nothing looked out of the ordinary....I will definately look again....Any one else, im desperate.

Edited by scout1ton

added a racor lg50 and have not had a problem since.

heres a thread on it.

Thanks, but as stated by Wakegirl in that thread this add on in no way helps getting fuel INTO the boat. Just helps with vent puking. I am having a really hard time getting fuel into the tank without it puking back out the fill neck. Thanks again. Anyone else have any words of wisdom....

Do you have the problem at all gas stations? I had a similar issue, but I realized that my normal gas station had dispensers that were extra sensitive. Now, I can pump at pretty much full flow at a different station.

Do you have the problem at all gas stations? I had a similar issue, but I realized that my normal gas station had dispensers that were extra sensitive. Now, I can pump at pretty much full flow at a different station.

Yes turning handle upside down seems to help, but I still cannot get the lever on the 1st click setting. Yes its @ all stations. I tried getting a piece of hose and taking to the station and slipping over fuel nozzle and clamping it. Stuck hose down in filler (hoping that I could get all the way down into the tank and it wouldn't GURGE back up) and couldn't even get fuel to come out, I guess with hose on there it has to much backpressure and is activating the auto shut off. I just don't understand what the problem is and it is very frustrating pumping fuel for 30 min in the Oklahoma heat..... ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Same issue with my 97 Response. It seems that the bend angle in the nozzle casting of the pump increases the problem. When I turned the handle sideways it helped but can't just stick it in like the truck and set the stop, if I try is kicks off immediatly.

Thanks, but as stated by Wakegirl in that thread this add on in no way helps getting fuel INTO the boat. Just helps with vent puking. I am having a really hard time getting fuel into the tank without it puking back out the fill neck. Thanks again. Anyone else have any words of wisdom....

i had the very same problem of just barely being able to squeeze the pump handle and it took for ever to fill the tank.

i was reluctant that the lg50 would help with the problem but, tried it anyway. it works period. friend with a 2001 sunsutter lxi had the same problem. i helped him put one on and it fixed his problem. i'm not saying you can pump the gas full force but it sure beats what i had to do before installing it. i'm not saying its a cure all and wakegirl doesn't know what she is talking about but, i know how its worked for 2 different boats and this is my 3rd inboard in 24 years so i do have a little experience working on them.. :biggrin:

Another trick is to not let the rubber seal on the fuel fill seal around the cap, seems to help and add some extra vent into the system.

Your vent line probably has a dip in it and it is acting like the P-trap under your sink trapping fuel and not allowing the air to vent as the tank is being filled. Very common on that vintage boat.

Another trick is to not let the rubber seal on the fuel fill seal around the cap, seems to help and add some extra vent into the system.

???? Sorry but I don't understand what you are saying.

Your vent line probably has a dip in it and it is acting like the P-trap under your sink trapping fuel and not allowing the air to vent as the tank is being filled. Very common on that vintage boat.

Solution??? Is it possible to re configure the vent line without having the p-trap affect.

i had the very same problem of just barely being able to squeeze the pump handle and it took for ever to fill the tank.

i was reluctant that the lg50 would help with the problem but, tried it anyway. it works period. friend with a 2001 sunsutter lxi had the same problem. i helped him put one on and it fixed his problem. i'm not saying you can pump the gas full force but it sure beats what i had to do before installing it. i'm not saying its a cure all and wakegirl doesn't know what she is talking about but, i know how its worked for 2 different boats and this is my 3rd inboard in 24 years so i do have a little experience working on them.. :biggrin:

Thanks, I will look into this solution further.

The best fix and the cheapest is just insure any gas in the vent line (rerouting if needed and pinch free) has no choice but to flow back into the tank through gravity and not get trapped in a dip somewhere. Do this and you will be able to fill your tank normally. I had to do it on my 97 Sunsetter.

Edited by LS-One
martinarcher

added a racor lg50 and have not had a problem since.

heres a thread on it.

http://www.themalibu...-air-separator/

Cool device. I've been thinking about adding one to my bu. I see a bit of fuel behind the boat on the water when we come to rest every so often.

Anyone threw one of these on a late 80's early 90's Bu with a stainless tank? I'd like to put one on my skier, but there isn't a whole lot of room above the tank to get it mounted vertical.

I was wondering if anyone has done it, or knows the length of the LG50. I can measure up my boat and see if there's room.

Thanks.

The best fix and the cheapest is just insure any gas in the vent line (rerouting if needed and pinch free) has no choice but to flow back into the tank through gravity and not get trapped in a dip somewhere. Do this and you will be able to fill your tank normally. I had to do it on my 97 Sunsetter.

Thanks, I will try re routing the vent line soon.

Thanks, I will try re routing the vent line soon.

IIRC I bought a longer piece of hose and coiled it like a spring vertically with the help of a couple large nylon tie-straps.

Edited by LS-One

IIRC I bought a longer piece of hose and coiled it like a spring vertically with the help of a couple large nylon tie-straps.

Good idea, shouldn't be to hard to do. By chance do you remember what size and type of hose you used? thx in advance.

Good idea, shouldn't be to hard to do. By chance do you remember what size and type of hose you used? thx in advance.

Sorry I don't remember the diameter that was many moons ago. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I doubt this is the problem, but I remember a thread a while back where someone was filling their bu with a plastic tank and the flex nosel broke off and fell in the to where they couldn't get to it. Did you by chance buy the boat used? It might be an obstruction down there.