Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water pump

I am ready to burn my 92 sunsetter. Bought it about three weeks ago put it in the water once and it over heated. Looked at the impellar and it was completely gone except for the rubber sleeve in the middle around the shaft. Replaced that and have never been able to get the engine primed? Cleaned out the intake grate at the fake a lake because that was where the pieces of the impellar were at. Could I have switched the hoses on the water pump when I put it back together? Also have noticed that the intake from the fake a lake seems like it does not have much water coming in? I ran a wire through from the outside of the boat through to the inside and there was nothing inside? Sure would like to use the boat one day my family is about to shoot me over this boat.

Pull the watr hose off the transcooler and look for peices of the impeller. This could be blocking water flow into the engine. You could have the vanes of the new impeller folded the wrong direction when you put the new impeller in, this will make the pump not work. Hope this helps.

if the trans cooler is clear and you have a new impeller you should be jake.

quick test: pull the hose that feeds the trans cooler then (caution: moving parts are a hazard) spin the engine up for 15 seconds.

that hose should be pushing a bunch of water into the bilge.

if it's not then there is a problem between that hose and the intake grate (bottom of hull).

if you are getting bunches of water from that trans cooler hose then something at the trans cooler or beyond is blocked.

Trans cooler is clear, someone mentioned this early on and I checked it. I will switch the hoses and see if that is possibly what happen? There was no water at the trans cooler when I pulled the hose loose, and no water at the water pump when I pulled that hose off?

Edited by Blake

Pull the watr hose off the transcooler and look for peices of the impeller. This could be blocking water flow into the engine. You could have the vanes of the new impeller folded the wrong direction when you put the new impeller in, this will make the pump not work. Hope this helps.

:Doh: But as soon as the engine cranks wouldn't the vanes be in the right direction when the impeller turns?

Not long ago I ran mine with the fake lake and had no water flow. Turns out I had the fake lake pressed so hard against the haul I blocked my own water flow. Worth a look.

Someone else also told me the impellar would go the right direction after the engine turned over? I may have the fake a lake to tight, everytime I try I put it under the boat tighter and tighter. I am fixing to rig up the hose directly to the back of the water pump to make sure I have enough water? Thanks

Someone else also told me the impellar would go the right direction after the engine turned over?

It does. Theres no way the impeller vanes will stay the wrong direction as soon as you start the boat. They will flip immediately.

Keep going up the hose to the engine. Maybe the thermostat is toast too?

Have you had a conversation with the previous owner yet? :crazy:

I had one of my guys replace the impeller on a Coast Guard small boat with the vanes in the wrong direction and they never flipped around as the engine started. The engine overheated and had them replace other part and it ended up the new impeller was the problem. :innocent:

Edited by CumminsBu

I just put the water hose directly in the hose that leads to the water pump and water finally came out the back at the exhaust and the boat did not overheat on the gauge. First time in 5 tries that it did not overheat. The fake a lake that I bought for $40 I guess is a piece of crap? I still have the high temp light blinking on and off when it gets over 1000 rpm, at idle it never comes on? The boat never warmed up over 150 so Will try and get the hose hooked back up at the water inlet in the morning. I am scared to try and go to the lake wondering what may happen next?

I just put the water hose directly in the hose that leads to the water pump and water finally came out the back at the exhaust and the boat did not overheat on the gauge. First time in 5 tries that it did not overheat. The fake a lake that I bought for $40 I guess is a piece of crap? I still have the high temp light blinking on and off when it gets over 1000 rpm, at idle it never comes on? The boat never warmed up over 150 degrees so I dont think the thermostat ever opened? Will try and get the hose hooked back up at the water inlet in the morning. I am scared to try and go to the lake wondering what may happen next?

Yea, I'm not a big fan of the fake-a-lake either. I've had priming problems with them before, not to mention having them fall out from under the trailer, not being able to see it from topside, etc. So I made a hose adapter & just plug it directly into the thing. Works great, everytime, all the time.

hoseadapter.jpg

I just replaced the rear seal in my raw water pump yesterday and I had to remove the pump to do that. With the cover off, I tested the rotation of the impeller--it didn't matter which way the vanes were pointed, they always flipped around depending on which way the crank was spun. After this "scientific" test, I am confident that it doesn't matter which way the vanes are facing on installation of the impeller--they will spin the right way upon start up.

It's common for newbie's to switch the hoses when they install them. On the pump housing, the outer hose goes to the trans cooler.

The vanes fix themselves in our Merc pumps.