Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Center Ballast Pump Problem on '09 VLX

swamprat

I have a 2009 vlx and I am having a problem with the center ballast pump not filling. On fill, the pump will not run and will blow the 5 amp fuse. Pump runs on drain. I took apart the old pump and did not find any debris and the rotor turns ok by hand both ways. I replaced the pump with a new one, but still blowing fuse (only on fill). Has anyone experienced this problem?

I have a 2009 vlx and I am having a problem with the center ballast pump not filling. On fill, the pump will not run and will blow the 5 amp fuse. Pump runs on drain. I took apart the old pump and did not find any debris and the rotor turns ok by hand both ways. I replaced the pump with a new one, but still blowing fuse (only on fill). Has anyone experienced this problem?

Have not had this issue, but I would suggest getting a volt meter and checking the voltage coming to the pump,if any at all, when the switch is activated. My best guess would be that you have a short somewhere in the wiring. The easiest fix is to run a new line from the switch to the pump, which wouldn't take maybe a half hour. I would guess it's a short from the switch to the pump and not a short from the relay to the switch, since it doesn't pop the relay until you turn on the pump. Might be under warranty also I would talk to your dealer, but it will be quicker if your mechanically inclined, good luck.

When mine went bad it was the pump the rotor was not free. However in your case a short sounds like the culprit. Use a multimeter and check the leads to ground the positive lead should be open, as stated above just run a new line for the quickest fix, as finding the acural short is usually very difficult.

REW

Troubleshooting and fixing this will be complicated by the fact that his boat uses the MUX switch system, and not traditional switches like an '06 or '04 will have.

Quite honestly, unless you have spare time, enjoy electronics, or live a great distance from your dealer, I would suggest taking the boat to them to have the problem fixed under warranty.

Troubleshooting and fixing this will be complicated by the fact that his boat uses the MUX switch system, and not traditional switches like an '06 or '04 will have.

Quite honestly, unless you have spare time, enjoy electronics, or live a great distance from your dealer, I would suggest taking the boat to them to have the problem fixed under warranty.

Good point about the MUX switches. I don't have any experiance with those. I am a**/u/me ing the switch will read the same with power off as a normal switch.