Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Good day on the water

obski

We had a great time out on the river today, but I also felt we were lucky.

My daughter and a friend went slalom skiing and then my wife went wakeboarding. While she was going I was diligently looking out for the usual debris floating down the river. This included a tree that looked to be about 2 or 3 feet in diameter complete with the roots. We were going along and then heard and felt this loud thump. I immediately took the boat out of gear and heard some more rumblings under the boat until a big log finally emerged out the back. It was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and had a big divot out of it where the prop had hit. It had been floating just below the surface and I never saw it. I put the boat in gear and it seemed to run fine without vibration, so we continued on with our day. When we were finished and the boat was up on the trailer I took a look and couldn't see a mark on the prop. A good and lucky day.

We also had a good day on the water. The air temp was 61 and water was also 61. I was the wussy it the group I wore my drysuit, everyone else skied in wetsuits or shorts. I just didn't feel like being cold.

The only bad part of the day was that it was very windy and I didn't get to foot. Cry.gif

Sounds like similar conditions to here. The air was around 63 and water 59.

The adults (with some common sense or something like that) all wore drysuits. My daughter wore a shorty wetsuit with long sleeves.

We ran into some friends who were just cruising. When they saw we were getting in their son wanted to go. He had brought a wetsuit, but they hadn't brought any gear, so we lent them a board and line. He said it was great and not too cold.

My daughter and a friend went slalom skiing and then my wife went wakeboarding.  While she was going I was diligently looking out for the usual debris floating down the river.  This included a tree that looked to be about 2 or 3 feet in diameter complete with the roots.  We were going along and then heard and felt this loud thump.  I immediately took the boat out of gear and heard some more rumblings under the boat until a big log finally emerged out the back.  It was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and had a big divot out of it where the prop had hit.  It had been floating just below the surface and I never saw it.  I put the boat in gear and it seemed to run fine without vibration, so we continued on with our day.  When we were finished and the boat was up on the trailer I took a look and couldn't see a mark on the prop.  A good and lucky day.

Take a good look at your skegs also....

P

My daughter and a friend went slalom skiing and then my wife went wakeboarding.  While she was going I was diligently looking out for the usual debris floating down the river.  This included a tree that looked to be about 2 or 3 feet in diameter complete with the roots.  We were going along and then heard and felt this loud thump.  I immediately took the boat out of gear and heard some more rumblings under the boat until a big log finally emerged out the back.  It was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and had a big divot out of it where the prop had hit.  It had been floating just below the surface and I never saw it.  I put the boat in gear and it seemed to run fine without vibration, so we continued on with our day.  When we were finished and the boat was up on the trailer I took a look and couldn't see a mark on the prop.  A good and lucky day.

Take a good look at your skegs also....

P

All looks good, but I will take another look.

David,

So glad to hear there was no damage. Those below-the-surface floaters are wicked.

We had a good day on Billy Chinook today with WakeGirl and crew. 68 degree air and 60 water with no wind. Very nice!

Yes indeed! When we first put in this morning it was already blowing, so we thought it would be a mostly surf/foil day. Boy were we wrong! We went around the corner to another arm on the lake & by the time we hit the no-wake zone at the end it was glass. It laid down so nice & was like that all day long. We finally had to leave because we were tired & hungry, but it was truly a day when you just wanted to stay.

I need to get a drysuit. :)

David,

So glad to hear there was no damage.  Those below-the-surface floaters are wicked.

We had a good day on Billy Chinook today with WakeGirl and crew. 68 degree air and 60 water with no wind. Very nice!

Yes indeed! When we first put in this morning it was already blowing, so we thought it would be a mostly surf/foil day. Boy were we wrong! We went around the corner to another arm on the lake & by the time we hit the no-wake zone at the end it was glass. It laid down so nice & was like that all day long. We finally had to leave because we were tired & hungry, but it was truly a day when you just wanted to stay.

You're killing me!

obski - Glad to hear the boat and it's occupants are all OK.

The weather wasn't very good in Nor Cal this week-end. Saturday it rained off & on all day, today the wind was blowing all day. :( I wanted to try and get out this afternoon but the wind just never let up. Oh well, another week for my wrist to heal up. Of course, now the weather guessers are talking about more rain next Saturday. Mad.gif They better be wrong (again).

EDITED for grammar.

Edited by NorCaliBu

obski -- also happy to hear you and boat are OK.

We lined up a friend with a dry suit and decided to make an afternoon run to Wilsonville Sat. too. But at the last second I got called away to help one of our kids with a stranded car. (burned out clutch) So we ended up scrapping the outing.

Still hoping of 'one more day' before we winterize. But the chances of the weather and our schedule both lining up on the same day are really starting to dwindle.

Should have tried MY lake yesterday.

After 7+ straight days of Biblical proportion rain, I went out to check to see if the boat was still OK. Wind was blowing 25-35 mph with stronger gusts and the lake had risen from perilously low to above the point where they allow wakes. The entire sea (and it looked like one) was major white caps with every other breaking over the concrete pier. 3 boats had sunk in their berths. But the Bu was riding just fine. Wet suit, dry suit wouldn't have mattered, I could not have backed it out of the slip without being smashed on the windward shore.

Perhaps next weekend.

Should have tried MY lake yesterday.

After 7+ straight days of Biblical proportion rain, I went out to check to see if the boat was still OK.  Wind was blowing 25-35 mph with stronger gusts and the lake had risen from perilously low to above the point where they allow wakes.  The entire sea (and it looked like one) was major white caps with every other breaking over the concrete pier.  3 boats had sunk in their berths.  But the Bu was riding just fine.  Wet suit, dry suit wouldn't have mattered, I could not have backed it out of the slip without being smashed on the windward shore.

Perhaps next weekend.

Wow - I would have skipped that one too for sure. That sounds ugly.

Obski, looks like the boating gods were shining down on you and me both (see my other thread.) Glad nothing was damaged on your end, whew! A 2-3 foot diameter TREE? Dang man!

Glad to hear all is ok.

The weather here in Oklahoma has been awesome!!! A bit windy at times but temps in the mid 80s. We went out Friday evening and had the lake to ourselves with no wind!!! Water temp. near 70 degrees. Finished out the eveining with some long barefoot runs down the middle of the lake. The last one was about 15 min. after sunset. We headed directly into the moon rise as it came up in the purple sky above the Bu. Kind of wish there was a way to take a picture from the footer's end of the rope. Definatly one of my all time favorite lake moments.

David,

So glad to hear there was no damage.  Those below-the-surface floaters are wicked.

You're killing me!

Soon Dave, soon. :)

That must have been a SS prop. No way a NiBrAl would take that.

It was 39F when we hit the water at 730 on Sunday morning.

The season is still rolling along here in Northern IL.

Edited by martho
That must have been a SS prop.  No way a NiBrAl would take that.

One reason I've not upgraded from my CVP. OBski glad to hear nothing was damaged.

That must have been a SS prop.  No way a NiBrAl would take that.

One reason I've not upgraded from my CVP

That and laziness.. Yes.gif

Oh, and atta boy David on the good day & good fortune.

I rode on Friday afternoon, on Folsom, with JKlein and a few other buddies, and the weather was ok - warm, and ~65deg water. Boy the wallies came outta nowhere after work.. sheesh it was irritating

I need to get a drysuit.  :)

Call Peter and his better half at SmoothWaterSports. They'll set you right on a USIA. The CFO really likes hers, and warmth is a MAJOR issue with her.

Torso measurement is the key. Drysuit wedgies are no fun.

Bought one from Peter and love it. My two main ski buddies only have wetsuits and I don't mind shoving my comfort factor in their faces, but at least they are still out there with me. Woohoo!

A friend of mine gave me his dry suit to "borrow" about 5 years ago...he has totally forgotten about it Yahoo.gif The neck seal broke so I need to get it fixed before spring but I have pleanty of time :(

jetskipro550, I like your signature. Thumbup.gif

That must have been a SS prop.

One reason I've not upgraded from my CVP

That and laziness.. Yes.gif

:lol: No doubt!! :lol:

I rode on Friday afternoon, on Folsom....Boy the wallies came outta nowhere after work.. sheesh it was irritating

Justin - You get out on Folsom after work on Friday? Whistling.gif