Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Options - good and bad?

Chuck

I would lose the docking lights, as well.

Add the shower, we use it a lot at the beginning/end of season.

Monsoon on a 21 LSV is fine. :)

You could also save some $$ and get a better choice of interior speakers, if you just have the factory do the cutouts. And then add the speakers when you build your system. Also, I'm not sure the bow speakers are that necessary, I have them and you cannot hear them in the cabin. Only good for people who sit in the bow area, and how often is that? (BTW, I have bow speakers so not just knocking them).

I like the downturns, it makes the boat a little quieter, especially when surfing, and we hardly ever smell exhaust. My .02.

Just a few observations:

You refer to the wedge as being "standard". ICBW, but I think only the wakesetters have standard wedges. Perhaps the wedge "plate" is part of a value package that your dealer offers...just be sure to look into it.

Did you intentionally leave off the factory MLS tanks?

Add the through-hull flush system! It is SOOO easy and your dealer will appreciate it!

Many on here love their hammerheads. That said, the monsoon is a great motor that has enough power for most everything. It's kind of like a diesel vs. a big gasser in a truck. The gasser has to work harder but does fine virtually all the time unless you're hooked up to a house and then the diesel wins, but practically speaking, how often are you going to need to pull 5 barefooters or put 2500+#'s in the boat wakeboarding? If either of those were a concern, then you wouldn't have picked a sunscape I wouldn't guess.

I agree on the shower, but I would try to get double heaters first. We have all the heating options and the heater is by far the most-used and loved.

The heater is used frequently - more frequently than the shower... becuase of the ease of use (don't have to get anything out.. just turn it out) Lots of cool mornings it is nice to have it blowing on your feet.

The docking lights have very limited functionality. They only work in close to the dock, and many times, make the night vision worse, because they hurt the night vision. Even trailering, would be margional.

I'm not sure, but the 21' foot boats may be different in how the exhaust dissipates behind them.  We smell exhaust all the time when we're surfing - it's not any better than it was on the yellow boat.

Interesting. We never smell it on the WLSV.

Yeah, it really seems to load up in the cabin area, especially with the windshield closed. When you're the surfer though, it's not noticeable at all. I suspect the bowrise has something to do with it, I don't think the 23' boats have near the bowrise of the 21'. Maybe, I don't know. Dontknow.gif

Thanks guys great comments - appreciate it. :)

To clarify, it is the 21 Sunscape LSV I am getting - no ballast tanks at all - the tower and wedge are just in-case we want to try wakeboarding (we only ski right now - but decided against a DD becasue we cruise a lot too - we looked at both). I told my kids they couldn't try wakeboarding until they could ski the slalom course - they have pretty much got through it (they are 10, 15 and 23) and are waiting for me :) So maybe this year we'll try a wakeboard although frankly they aren't overly interested - but I understand from friends its great and once they get into might not want to ski... guess we'll find out.

We are far north (about the 53rd parrallel - about 500 miles North of the US northern border) however we tend to boat mostly in the Okanagan - so our season is pretty much over in September and doesn't start much before June. We aren't die-hards so the heater and seat are mainly to keep the wife happy on early morning runs - the shower I figured I could always add if we think its a need - what I don't like about it is the way they plumb it in - no proper place for the hose, valves in the cockpit area under the seat etc.

I think the docking lights look cool so I'll keep them - even if they'e not too effective - we dock at a marina so they will provide some additional lighting.

Thanks for all the coments - would still like to hear some more about turned down exhausts.

Sounds like you have a great boat picked out

Just some more thoughts---

As for the shower....on the Vdrives I thought the plumbed it under a trunk? In our Rlxi, it's under the trunk, and it is not difficult to access or store at all. On a Vdrive, you have even more room...just a thought.

You have the wedge listed as standard. I don't think thats the case, so if you want it, you have to tell your dealer that, because it's not going to come with it. If you don't plan on using it immediately, just get the factory to install the plate, you can order the foil later.

I can't comment on the turn-downs, unfortunately

Thanks guys great comments - appreciate it.  :)

To clarify, it is the 21 Sunscape LSV I am getting - no ballast tanks at all - the tower and wedge are just in-case we want to try wakeboarding (we only ski right now - but decided against a DD becasue we cruise a lot too - we looked at both).  I told my kids they couldn't try wakeboarding until they could ski the slalom course - they have pretty much got through it (they are 10, 15 and 23) and are waiting for me  :)  So maybe this year we'll try a wakeboard although frankly they aren't overly interested - but I understand from friends its great and once they get into might not want to ski... guess we'll find out.

We are far north (about the 53rd parrallel - about 500 miles North of the US northern border) however we tend to boat mostly in the Okanagan - so our season is pretty much over in September and doesn't start much before June.  We aren't die-hards so the heater and seat are mainly to keep the wife happy on early morning runs - the shower I figured I could always add if we think its a need - what I don't like about it is the way they plumb it in - no proper place for the hose, valves in the cockpit area under the seat etc.

I think the docking lights look cool so I'll keep them - even if they'e not too effective - we dock at a marina so they will provide some additional lighting.

Thanks for all the coments - would still like to hear some more about turned down exhausts.

Cool, another Sunscape owner. The photo is the wake of my Sunscape at 32 mph. Skier is Alibuma (yeah, he's pretty good). Its a really nice wake considering the size of the boat.

I have the turn down exhaust and really like them. This is my first Malibu so it is hard to compare the turndown vs. regular. See my gallery for photos of the turndowns. At least they look cool. I really do not notice the exhaust smells though.

If you try surfing, I placed a 750# Fly High sac in the rear compartment for a killer surfing wake. I don't have the stock ballasts either.

Get the shower, you will use it. Trust me.

When did the "water cooled shaft seal" become an option?  Please don't tell me that they're asking for an upcharge on that.

I don't know when, and I don't know what/if they are charging me (I just negotiated on the package.... sort of). My dealer also seemed to indicate he doesn't order any boats without it.

Anyway, the 2006 brochure that is up on the web site now, shows it as an option on all boats - I don't see anything in the 2005 brochure though. Shocking.gif

We order all boats with the new shaft seal also (no brainer). BTW, I heard the 2006 Brochures/Dvd's are on the way to the dealers as we speak.

When did the "water cooled shaft seal" become an option?  Please don't tell me that they're asking for an upcharge on that.

I don't know when, and I don't know what/if they are charging me (I just negotiated on the package.... sort of). My dealer also seemed to indicate he doesn't order any boats without it.

Anyway, the 2006 brochure that is up on the web site now, shows it as an option on all boats - I don't see anything in the 2005 brochure though. Shocking.gif

We order all boats with the new shaft seal also (no brainer). BTW, I heard the 2006 Brochures/Dvd's are on the way to the dealers as we speak.

You can also download the 06 brochure from the Malibu site. It didn't take very long with a DSL connection.