Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Options - good and bad?

Chuck

Hi all,

I am in the process of finalizing our 2006 21 LSV purchase - i started out with needing only a heater, cleats, and a stereo.

The list is now:

heater

cleats

fibreglass swim platform

six factory install speakers

hidden bow light

water cooled shaft seal

monsoon engine

isolator switch

rankin cover

illusion tower and bimini

wedge (standard)

depth gauge

heated seat

turned down exhausts

docking lights

and I still will need to buy the head unit and any amps separately.

While I think I've pretty much talked myself into these options as being 'necesary' ;) I am interested in any comments specifically on the turned down exhausts - anything that makes it quiter I am all for but I don't see too much discussion on these.

Hi Chuck,

I personally think the docking lights are a complete waste of money, but YMMV. I have mixed feelings on the turn-down exhaust - I don't know how much good they really do for either noise or exhaust fumes, again YMMV. When did the "water cooled shaft seal" become an option? Please don't tell me that they're asking for an upcharge on that.

Congrats on the boat, & welcome to the site. :)

When did the "water cooled shaft seal" become an option?  Please don't tell me that they're asking for an upcharge on that.

I don't know when, and I don't know what/if they are charging me (I just negotiated on the package.... sort of). My dealer also seemed to indicate he doesn't order any boats without it.

Anyway, the 2006 brochure that is up on the web site now, shows it as an option on all boats - I don't see anything in the 2005 brochure though. Shocking.gif

Hmmmm, it's possible that they've gone to the dripless system on all models but still offer the traditional packing as an option (the "water cooled" that you described I'm guessing is what all Malibus used to come with standard, which is why I'm hoping that they're not charging people extra for it - either way, it's a minor point).

Hmmmm, it's possible that they've gone to the dripless system on all models but still offer the traditional packing as an option (the "water cooled" that you described I'm guessing is what all Malibus used to come with standard, which is why I'm hoping that they're not charging people extra for it - either way, it's a minor point).

No, I believe the 'water cooled' is the same thing as dripless.

Hi all,

I am in the process of finalizing our 2006 21 LSV purchase - i started out with needing only a heater, cleats, and a stereo.

The list is now:

heater

cleats

fibreglass swim platform

six factory install speakers

hidden bow light

water cooled shaft seal

monsoon engine

isolator switch

rankin cover

illusion tower and bimini

wedge (standard)

depth gauge

heated seat

turned down exhausts

docking lights

and I still will need to buy the head unit and any amps separately.

While I think I've pretty much talked myself into these options as being 'necesary'  ;) I am interested in any comments specifically on the turned down exhausts - anything that makes it quiter I am all for but I don't see too much discussion on these.

Hi Chuck, welcome to the site and Malibu ownership. A lot of the option choices have to do with how you're going to use the boat and the conditions you're going to operate it in. I have most of the options you list (being built at the California factory right now) and spent more than a few hours reviewing the list to make sure I got everything I felt I needed. I agree with Wakegirl on the docking lights, everything I read indicates they aren't very useful (but they do look nice). You may want to have the rear cleats installed at the dealer to have them located higher than the standard mounting location.

Good luck and have fun with the ordering process (it is certainly more fun than the 'waiting' process I'm in now and Wakegirl just exited a couple weeks ago).

David

I would look at adding a shower. It comes in hand on the cool evenings or mornings. Mine gets the bulk of the use in early spring late fall.

When our son was still drinking a bottle we used the hot water to warm the bottle. Rockon.gif that way we could be on the boat longer.

Lose the Docking Lights. Major waste of money. Get a handheld high candela output lamp and you'll be better off.

Get a shower. Million and one uses. Including spraying people in passing boats and the PWCs that get too close.

from previous posts it sounds like you might regret not having the hydraulic wedge.

we have been known to surf in the later evening and personally I like the docking lights and the tower lights (also considered to be a WOM by a lot of people).

Enjoy the process and the new boat.

I have the docking lights and like them. We come in often after dark, or very close, and the wife likes being able to see the trailer better.

Plus they look super cool, added bling. ;)

I have the shower, and the only times I've used it are to verify it functions, lol. Ditto the heater, I can't even remember last time I turned it on. I'm sure this depends on where you live.

The heater is absolutely necessary if you live up north, that is a very common theme that I've seen. The heated seat as well, it complements the heater so well & makes for a happy driver in cold conditions. The shower....we love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea (even those that live up north). If you decide not to spend the money now, it's not a huge thing to add after the fact & won't cost a lot more than having it done at the factory.

Just had a wakeboarding session this afternoon....Air 60 degrees-Water 61 degrees..Everyone in the boat was praising the heater, the shower, and the docking lights as we came in after dark...

As was said above it comes down to your area and how you use the boat...

chuck Welcome.gif

Great list you have, but for me I would have to add the power wedge and shower. After market would be tower lights, speakers and stereo (as you are doing) system. The cleats being added at the dealer is a great idea, (idahows) I think there was a thread that talked about this and why.

The docking light are great but not so great. I have the docking lights on my VLX and as Wakegirl seen first hand they don't work the greatest when coming into a house until your 10 - 15 ft from it. Having the lights for putting the boat on the trailer or a boat lift would be helpful. jm2c Biggrin.gif

I'd recommend losing the docking lights as well. In addition, if you haven't loaded up a LSV with the monsoon, I'd suggest you try it first. Many have elected to upgrade to the hammerhead engine instead because they felt the monsoon just wasn't cutting it. I'd also have your dealer show you the power wedge and determine whether you like it as it can only be installed at the factory.

Smoothwatersports used to have a nice price configurator on their web site, with msrp's. Not sure if it's updated to '06.

I have my own spreadsheet I created with most '05 option prices, but not sure what changed for '06.

In addition, if you haven't loaded up a LSV with the monsoon, I'd suggest you try it first.  Many have elected to upgrade to the hammerhead engine instead because they felt the monsoon just wasn't cutting it.

Mdude, I think he's looking at a 21-LSV, which I think doesn't even have a ballast system?

I know I'll get people disagreeing, but I don't think a HH is really needed? A Monsoon will have plenty power IMO.

Now if it was a 23-LSV, no question I'd agree 100%.

Smoothwatersports used to have a nice price configurator on their web site, with msrp's. Not sure if it's updated to '06.

I have my own spreadsheet I created with most '05 option prices, but not sure what changed for '06.

Thanks for the headsup on Smoothwatersports. I will check it out....

I think a good ball-park price range in this discussion would be a good idea. So if you want to post the '05, please do.

In addition, if you haven't loaded up a LSV with the monsoon, I'd suggest you try it first.  Many have elected to upgrade to the hammerhead engine instead because they felt the monsoon just wasn't cutting it.

Mdude, I think he's looking at a 21-LSV, which I think doesn't even have a ballast system?

I know I'll get people disagreeing, but I don't think a HH is really needed? A Monsoon will have plenty power IMO.

Now if it was a 23-LSV, no question I'd agree 100%.

Just depends upon the usage, but a 3,500 lbs (dry) boat w/ the monsoon I'd move up imho as I could use more in my boat and it's only 2,900 lbs. dry. It's easy to spend others money :)

To the OP, if you're happy with the Monsoon then don't drive the Hammerhead because you'll want one. Another thing to consider, if you want all of the ballast options (tanks under the rear floor, etc.) you could do as Idahows did & order the Wakesetter VLX on the Diamond hull.