Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Advice on buying 2002 Response LX

maineiacmatt

Hello There,

First time poster great site. I am under contract to buy 2002 Response LX with wedge and Monsoon. Has 500 hours, needs vinyl work and the gel coat on the stern looks faded. I am buying subject to a compression test. What type of numbers should I look for on the compression test?

I am buying the boat from a Malibu dealer on the east coast for $16,000 which seems like a good price. The boat was previously used at a kids camp. They get 12 new Malibus every 3 to 4 years. Should I be concerned about this? My assumption is that they have a good maintenance program because you can't take chances with kids.

Anything I should expect with a Monsoon with 500 hours in a relatively short time frame?

I am excited to get into a Malibu. I am selling a 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205

Hello There,

First time poster great site. I am under contract to buy 2002 Response LX with wedge and Monsoon. Has 500 hours, needs vinyl work and the gel coat on the stern looks faded. I am buying subject to a compression test. What type of numbers should I look for on the compression test?

I am buying the boat from a Malibu dealer on the east coast for $16,000 which seems like a good price. The boat was previously used at a kids camp. They get 12 new Malibus every 3 to 4 years. Should I be concerned about this? My assumption is that they have a good maintenance program because you can't take chances with kids.

Anything I should expect with a Monsoon with 500 hours in a relatively short time frame?

I am excited to get into a Malibu. I am selling a 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205

The price seems very good. Have them run a Diacom (or similar program) printout for you on the engine. They may want to charge an hour of shop time (we do @ $80) but it is well worth it for the info you get.

The printout will tell you :

Highest temp

Lowest Oil Pressure

How many hours and what RPM's

Actual hours

Trouble codes, if any and for what

and other pertinent info.

Even with 500 hrs, it is a good deal if everything checks out. Also, found out what kind of service schedule it was on. Let us know how it goes.

And BTW..Welcome to the site !

Madman

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

-Our boat has 500+ hours and runs like new

-Vinyl is fairly cheap and easy to replace

-You can buff it out most likely and it will look like new

If the tests check out fine, and at $16,000 get those papers signed ASAP!!!

He hasnt bought it yet, and I'm pretty sure that boat has closer to 300 hours. If I could afford that boat and have two over the winter it would have already been mine.

Chris

UW I think thats the only response, buch of sunsetters laying around for not much more though...

He hasnt bought it yet, and I'm pretty sure that boat has closer to 300 hours. If I could afford that boat and have two over the winter it would have already been mine.

Chris

UW I think thats the only response, buch of sunsetters laying around for not much more though...

Just plain Sunsetters or... :)

Well lets see some pics J3

too far of a drive for me. 99response is a lot closer. i'd be interested in seeing some of the sunsetters.

here's their website with preowned stuff. not sure if any of these deals are on there:

ECF

One of the sunsetters is up there, they all look the same, others are a darker blue/maybe black, 500 hours, monsoon, one side of the hull has dock rash, few cuts in the interior, they have VHF radios for some reason. Need to be bottom washed. The response is standard, red with a grey and black stripe, really nice shape. Ive actually been to the camp that these boats were used at, these guys know their stuff and take care of the boats, some camps run all their boats aground in two weeks (not kidding), or just dont care (thats the fate of two of the last sportsters made). Any other questions shoot me a PM

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Purchase Update: First thanks for the replys. Engine checks out fine, pressure is between 190 and 200. I signed the papers this week. Now I can't wait for summer!