Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine warm-up

And warm up (Car or Boat) doesn't mean that it is sitting there idling...  You can just drive it "nicely" until it begins to come up to temp - gets much better gas mileage driving easily, then just sitting there idling ;)

Exactly!! You gotta warmup the turkey before you put it in the oven silly... ROFL.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• JohnDoe

• SacRiverRat

• D-GOOSE

Physically, the pistons & block need to heat up and expand before everything fits exactly like it is supposed to.  I'd suggest you give it enough time to start seeing the temp come up (at least 100deg) before you really put a load on it

A direct quote from my local Malibu mechanic, " A boat motor is like a women, she need to be warmed up before you can play."

. If you went to a 5-40 instead of a 15-40 it too will flow better at a lower temperature.

edit: Indmar does not recommend using synthetic oil until after 100 hours are on   the engine.

This will allso drop your oil PSI some when the eng is hot.

did not realize that. maybe that is why the local Malibu dealer is using Mercur 25-40 oil, I assume that is to keep the oil pressure up.

If you're going to keep your boat more than a few years and care about it, I think it's crazy not to let it warm up fully before going above idle speed. That kind of treatment is why it will run good 20 years later. For you people that buy new boats every couple of years, start'em up and hammer them.

The engine should be at operating temperature before putting a heavy load, or high rpm's on it. This applies to a car, or boat.

That being said, most wear happens when an engine is just started up and cold, so you want to warm it up fast as possible, and not let it idle a long time.

Most agree the way to do that is start it, and soon as it will accept throttle without bogging (immediately with an efi engine), you should drive at a moderate rpm and load until it's warmed up. Keep loads moderate, and RPM's less than half whatever the redline of the engine is.

By putting a moderate load on the engine you promote it warming up faster. Letting it sit and idle until fully warm is a bad idea, and not recommended. This applies to a car as well. Starting a car in the driveway on a cold day, and letting it idle until warm really is a very bad idea.

Hum... I don't know - so you're telling me, that before the oil gets distrubed, give 'er some gas, and spin things few X faster than idle. I agree it'll warm up faster, but you may also be inducing more wear than necessary.

'Tis true, my friend. You can search around, but most recommendations are to drive away moderately after around 30 seconds, which gives the oil time to reach engine parts, but that's it.

You want to put some load on the engine so it warms up faster. Of course, if it's extremely cold, you have to let it warm up a little longer for the oil to flow, but we're talking boats, here. It's typically not 20 below, heh.

In a boat, by the time you crank engine, pull off trailer, pickup person who dropped you off, you're well over 30 seconds and should put some load on the motor IMO to warm it up faster.

Here's one example of this recommendation, http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...9&page_number=8

Hum... I don't know - so you're telling me, that before the oil gets distrubed, give 'er some gas, and spin things few X faster than idle.  I agree it'll warm up faster, but you may also be inducing more wear than necessary.

Yes.gif That's what I was thinking. I've never heard of taking a car up to high rpm to warm it up from any book or instruction. I can tell you fire and police will take a car, fire truck to high rpm sec after start up. Yes we have lost a few motors over the years. Also not good for turbo's.

Physically, the pistons & block need to heat up and expand before everything fits exactly like it is supposed to.  I'd suggest you give it enough time to start seeing the temp come up (at least 100deg) before you really put a load on it

A direct quote from my local Malibu mechanic, " A boat motor is like a women, she need to be warmed up before you can play."

Come here my sexy little engine. I want to squeeze you and caress all your parts. Oh how I can feel you shake as I start you up, and when you are all hot and sweaty, it will be time to ride!

Come here my sexy little engine. I want to squeeze you and caress all your parts. Oh how I can feel you shake as I start you up, and when you are all hot and sweaty, it will be time to ride!

Ok, this is getting a little weird now.

Shocking.gif

has anyone ever seen what happens when you get trays from a fast food place and put them under the rear-tires in a f/w drive car? Definitely something you would only want to do in a rental car.

has anyone ever seen what happens when you get trays from a fast food place and put them under the rear-tires in a f/w drive car?  Definitely something you would only want to do in a rental car.

Do you lock the E-brake? I would assume so. Man that could be interesting. :)

From Seinfeld:

Rental Car Agent: Would you like insurance?

Seinfeld: Yeah, you better give me the insurance. Because I'm gonna beat the hell out of this car. :)

yes, with the ebrake locked.

I wouldn't recommend anyone try it. I saw a video of some kids doing it. It was nuts. Basically, the driver turns the wheels one way, and slams the gas, and around, and around, and faster, and faster the car starts spinning...like, very fast spin...until the trays melt, and you're snapped back to reality.

Mom is gonna be torqued when she gets in her car that smells like burning rubber and needs new tires after only 2000 miles.

Does look fun, tho