Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulp-like substance in fuel line

If he let it sit for a while & let the gas go bad, it could just be shlack (sp?) that has built up

I would think even if the tank did have a shlack build up once he replaced/cleaned the fuel injectors the problem would not return within 4 hrs. more than likely never. In my experience shlack builds up on surfaces but, does not float around the tank. Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but, it sounds to me like he pissed someone off and got a handful of sugar or saw dust in his gas tank for it. Would love to know the answer to the problem when he figures it out.

Edited by RiverRunner
If he let it sit for a while & let the gas go bad, it could just be shlack (sp?) that has built up

I would think even if the tank did have a shlack build up once he replaced/cleaned the fuel injectors the problem would not return within 4 hrs. more than likely never. In my experience shlack builds up on surfaces but, does not float around the tank. Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but, it sounds to me like he pissed someone off and got a handful of sugar or saw dust in his gas tank for it. Would love to know the answer to the problem when he figures it out.

I'm sure you're right, I was just trying to think of any other reason that something like that would happen. I don't like to think that someone would stoop so low as to put something in his tank.

Jerry,

That's simply incredible.

Given that we don't know the whole story your suggestion is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

MTBE and ethanol are added to gasoline to oxygenate. the two don't mix well and end up creating a gel that clogs filters and injectors. MTBE is being banned in many states. as the ban occurs ethanol takes its place and you end up with a mix of the two.

there is a very good discussion in boatus "seaworthy" magazine, as mentioned in this article (search on ethanol or MTBE to find the relevant info.).

this has the potential to hit many boaters so i think i will add a new topic so everyone can hear the sad news.

I wouldn't want my shop vac sucking up gas and fumes, nor want anything electrical anywhere near it.

Stupid.gif

Some neighbors of ours a few years back burned their house to the ground doing this. They were repairing the hull of a smaller boat in their garage. They flipped it over to do the work, only to realize there was still fuel in the tank. It poured out onto their garage floor, so they tried to clean it up using the shop vac. :Doh:

I don't know if I buy it. Dontknow.gif

I was watching myth busters not long ago and they busted that one. Yes.gif

I wouldn't want my shop vac sucking up gas and fumes, nor want anything electrical anywhere near it.

Stupid.gif

Some neighbors of ours a few years back burned their house to the ground doing this. They were repairing the hull of a smaller boat in their garage. They flipped it over to do the work, only to realize there was still fuel in the tank. It poured out onto their garage floor, so they tried to clean it up using the shop vac. :Doh:

I'm not relaying a story told to me by someone who heard from a friend about a buddy's wife's second cousin once removed whose father-in-law once heard a about it. The guy lived less than a quarter mile down the street, so I got it from the horse's mouth (horse's a$$ if you ask his wife). Would you like the guy's phone number? How about the local fire marshall that did the investigation and issued the report?

You can doubt it if you want, just please don't try it yourself. Would hate to prove Hank right on this one...

Stupid.gif

I'm not relaying a story told to me by someone who heard from a friend about a buddy's wife's second cousin once removed whose father-in-law once heard a about it. The guy lived less than a quarter mile down the street, so I got it from the horse's mouth (horse's a$$ if you ask his wife). Would you like the guy's phone number? How about the local fire marshall that did the investigation and issued the report?

You can doubt it if you want, just please don't try it yourself. Would hate to prove Hank right on this one...

Would hate to prove Hank right on anything. :lol:

I may have missed this but, dosen't his boat have a fuel filter? I mean like a pleated paper filter? If it does have a filter when is the last time the element was replaced?

I  may have missed this but, dosen't his boat have a fuel filter?  I mean like a pleated paper filter?  If it does have a filter when is the last time the element was replaced?

I must be sleep depraved. Yes it has a filter, How can anything get past a fuel/water filter with a pleated filter. How often is he draining the water off the separator.