Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

calling all 04+ lsv wakesurfers

hyperlitenerd

So Ive been playing around with diffrent weight configurations in the BU, but can not get anything that is good. The back deck corner drags in the water, does your boat do this? what weight set ups do you guys use? things I have tried, port ballast, center, bow and wedge, with a few people in the port corner. port ballast, 350lbs sac in port storage, 350 sac up against port side seat, center and wedge. Still no go. I am going out this weekend i hope, so I am looking for a few things to try. thanks in advance.

*edit* I am ridding at 9.5mph acording to PP.

Edited by hyperlitenerd

yeah im wakesurfing. the fewest people id have is well 2, cause what the law says, but ussally 4 people in the boat, the most we had was 11, that was a nice wake.

Try everything full, plus Wedge with whatever augmented ballast (whether it's people or bags) in the rear corner that you're surfing. Also, try varying your speed a little to find the best wave, it may be a little faster than that, YMMV.

Edited by WakeGirl

My boat is the '00 LSV, so it's different, but I think unless a guy has wayyyy more

ballast than stock it just takes a boatload of people to make it happen. We have surfed in my boat & my friends VLX with stock ballast , wedge & 4-5 people in the boat, but it's hard to get enough of a wake to lose the rope. I would like to have enough ballast to surf when it's just my family at the lake, but I don't think I can deal with all the bags it would take !

Try everything full, plus Wedge with whatever augmented ballast (whether it's people or bags) in the rear corner that you're surfing.  Also, try varying your speed a little to find the best wave, it may be a little faster than that, YMMV.

really everthing full? well you are the wakegirl, ill try that out, ill tell ya how it goes.

Try everything full, plus Wedge with whatever augmented ballast (whether it's people or bags) in the rear corner that you're surfing.  Also, try varying your speed a little to find the best wave, it may be a little faster than that, YMMV.

really everthing full? well you are the wakegirl, ill try that out, ill tell ya how it goes.

I don't know about the LSV, but on our VLX it works much better with this configuration. I suspect that it just puts more of the hull into the water & then you define the wave by putting your augmented weight on whatever side you surf. Try it & let us know how it works on the 23'.

Edited by WakeGirl

I don't know about the LSV, but on our VLX it works much better with this configuration. I suspect that it just puts more of the hull into the water & then you define the wave by putting your augmented weight on whatever side you surf. Try it & let us know how it works on the 23'.

Seems like we surf at 11 - 11.5 for that "North Shore" kind of ride.

Chris, good to see you again.

We'll be going this winter so we'll definately have to hook up. In the winter we're at Anderson most often.

This entire season we've been riding at 11 MPH, starboard and port riders. So I'd try speeding up a bit, that should help.

We ride full balast plus wedge MINUS the rear tank that the rider is NOT on. So, if the rider is goofy and riding starboard, we'll empty the opposite rear tank, or port tank. We'll also make EVERYONE get as close to the corner of the rider as possible. If the rider is on the port side I'll even stand up and drive with my right hand, so my body can be on the port side of the boat (picked this up from a picture from the TX guys.)

Now, it sounds like you've got some sacs. I'd fill both sacs and throw those in the locker where the weight is. Empty the locker of everything else, and get those sacs down into the corner.

We ride with two 440LB sacs - any additional people just makes the wake even better.

Also, when you're just starting, we'll have the driver pretty much do a U turn toward the rider to get them up and going and if you can make a HUGE circle while the rider is going, that helps as well.

You have to tell beginners that the fastest part of the wake is the part that's closest to the platform - scary, yes. But that's generally the steepest part of the wake. Unless you've got a ton of people on board, you'll have to tell people to get a little closer to the platform to feel the wake 'pushing' them, and get a feel for the sweet spot. Once they can feel it and get slack in the rope, it's all dope from there.

I'm hoping to get out in the next week or two. I'll keep you on the short list.

Or call Dan P and hit him up at Naci with Pistol Pete this weekend. I'm sure they'll be up for it.

Edited by chathamsolutions
Chris, good to see you again.

We'll be going this winter so we'll definately have to hook up.  In the winter we're at Anderson most often. 

This entire season we've been riding at 11 MPH, starboard and port riders.  So I'd try speeding up a bit, that should help. 

We ride full balast plus wedge MINUS the rear tank that the rider is NOT on.  So, if the rider is goofy and riding starboard, we'll empty the opposite rear tank, or port tank.  We'll also make EVERYONE get as close to the corner of the rider as possible.  If the rider is on the port side I'll even stand up and drive with my right hand, so my body can be on the port side of the boat (picked this up from a picture from the TX guys.)

Now, it sounds like you've got some sacs.  I'd fill both sacs and throw those in the locker where the weight is.  Empty the locker of everything else, and get those sacs down into the corner. 

We ride with two 440LB sacs - any additional people just makes the wake even better. 

Also, when you're just starting, we'll have the driver pretty much do a U turn toward the rider to get them up and going and if you can make a HUGE circle while the rider is going, that helps as well. 

You have to tell beginners that the fastest part of the wake is the part that's closest to the platform - scary, yes.  But that's generally the steepest part of the wake.  Unless you've got a ton of people on board, you'll have to tell people to get a little closer to the platform to feel the wake 'pushing' them, and get a feel for the sweet spot.  Once they can feel it and get slack in the rope, it's all dope from there. 

I'm hoping to get out in the next week or two.  I'll keep you on the short list. 

Or call Dan P and hit him up at Naci with Pistol Pete this weekend.  I'm sure they'll be up for it.

Yes I am back, between work, and just not going out alot Cry.gif i drifted away, but i should be back for a while. I would love to come ride with you, and I am currently out of work, so im really free when ever, kinda good and bad.

Should I really put both sacs in the back? Would they both fill up in there(i guess ill have to find out, and yes I got sacs for my birthday from some friends)

We do the circle thing, we ride in the area on the left most side of the lake, and just do circles there so we arnt stirring up the main lake more than it already is. I have found the sweet spot before, but that was on my dad's friends board, and hvnt gotten it on anyother board ive ridden includingmy landlock the 6'1 one. Recently we have been getting the wakeskate and just playing around with that, doing 360s, and slides.

thanks for keeping me on the list!

Hyperlitenerd,

Yea, I put a 400 pounder in and fill it up, then put another one on top of it. Pretty much fill it all the way. Still room to close the hatch. They fit in my VLX perfectly.

This is BradB's boat from last weekend an '03 WS23LSV with rear tanks removed and replaced with 440s, 350 in the ski locker, 400 in the bow on the surf side, wedge deployed, full ice chest (at least for the first 5 minutes), VAB in the sling, and a crew of 12 or so having a blast. Speed is usually 10.7 and a Link to a Video. The pic below is us at the Texas Mini WOW Last weekend.

This Link has a video and Pics of Ronnie's 04WS23LSV from last weekend

Also if you weight the back you must weight the front. Don't be affraid to move people around in the boat. Keep speeding up till the white wash goes away, might need to go a little faster. Have a person stand on the gunnel, lean out over the water, holding onto the tower. Don't re-config. everything at once, it can be as simple as one person moving around in the boat to get it just right...Tweak IT!!!

Should I really put both sacs in the back? Would they both fill up in there(i guess ill have to find out, and yes I got sacs for my birthday from some friends)

Absolutely.

Pull all the junk out of the locer, and put a sac in. Fill it up. Then fill the other one on top of it. These boats are heavy and you've got to add a ton of weight to get them pushed down in the water.

We put both 440LB sacs in there. No, they both don't fit. So, we leave the locker door open. If you force it down you'll bend your door air shock holder-upped deally. I learned that the hard way :(

I'll try and post a video of what it looks like.

Absolutely.

Pull all the junk out of the locer, and put a sac in. Fill it up. Then fill the other one on top of it. These boats are heavy and you've got to add a ton of weight to get them pushed down in the water.

We put both 440LB sacs in there. No, they both don't fit. So, we leave the locker door open. If you force it down you'll bend your door air shock holder-upped deally. I learned that the hard way :(

Yeah thats what I was afraid of, dad wont fly with that, I keep asking him to take out the rear tanks and put the sacs in instead, but nope, oh well, i guess ill have to settle for a stock malibu Biggrin.gif

Seeing all these videos, you guys are not having to try at all to stay in the wake, for us it is all you focus on, we do the laying down stuff with the rope, but not with out.

Absolutely.

Yeah thats what I was afraid of, dad wont fly with that, I keep asking him to take out the rear tanks and put the sacs in instead, but nope, oh well, i guess ill have to settle for a stock malibu Biggrin.gif

Seeing all these videos, you guys are not having to try at all to stay in the wake, for us it is all you focus on, we do the laying down stuff with the rope, but not with out.

use lead next to the tanks. Or use a waterbed mattress that will fill up every nook and cranny of space.

Sorry if I wasn't clear above.

I still have my hard tanks in. I fill those AND put the two 440LB sacs in the same locker. So, 250LB tank and two 440LB sacs = over 1,000 in that one locker.

I agree with Brad. The last two times out we have used someone hanging from the tower - it really does help. Hands off to the TX boys for coming up with the best ideas.

Come on guys, mod that Wedge already!

Get me some pictures of it in the half way position and consider it done.

If you don't have any pics by the time my dealer gets a boat with the Power Wedge, I may be able to accomodate. I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow.

If you don't have any pics by the time my dealer gets a boat with the Power Wedge, I may be able to accomodate. I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow.

That would be great... Yahoo.gif

Tracie, let me know ahead of time and I will send you a sketch for some measurements if you are going to be there.

That would be great... Yahoo.gif

Tracie, let me know ahead of time and I will send you a sketch for some measurements if you are going to be there.

I'm going tomorrow & I'll have to be back there to pick up a few parts the middle of next week. So if he's got one in then maybe we can take a look at that then. I'll pm you with my email & you can send the sketch over any time. You & slider need to get together on this, this is a mod that he badly wants to do.