Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Importing a 'Bu into Canada

KokaneeKonsumer

Hi - I know on the old site there was some discussion on this. Anyone care to share any experiences? Especially around shipping. I've done the initial leg work by talking to our Feds here and it seems to be relatively easy - the biggest thing being ensuring the trailer has not been recalled. I recall Doug from Ontario and Wilma from BC have done so - are you out there?

I did this last February. I picked the boat up. It is a pretty simple process. Customs is only interested in the trailer. contact the registrar of imported vehicles (canada) and also contact US customs at the border crossing you will be using. You will have to give them at least 3 days prior notice before you get to the border (so they can check to make sure the trailer is not stolen, I guess). You will need to fax them a copy of the title for the trailer.

You will pay GST at the border on both the boat and trailer. The trailer must have a Compliance Label (newer trailers always do, unless it has come off somewhere). The Compliance label tells manufacture date, tire size, GVW etc. And yes you will need a letter from the manufacturer regarding recalls (just phone the manufacturer and they will fax you one, my trailer was an Eagle and apparently the Eagle that built the trailer was out of business but the letter I got from the current Eagle Trailers was accepted.

You will need the title for both the boat and trailer at customs.

Because you are bringing the boat into BC, you will also pay PST on the boat and trailer. BC has a regulation requiring brakes on all axles, you may want to contact ICBC to see if this is enforced, otherwise you will need to get brakes put on any axle that does not currently have brakes. (apparently this is not a big deal).

Once in Canada, you must get the trailer inspected (this is free as you have already paid for this thru registrar of imported vehicles)(crappy tire can do the inspection). Register the vehicle with Canada Customs by fax to get your numbers, order the drip molded numbers from domednumbers.com and you are good to go.

If this sounds like a difficult process, it isn't, I would do it again in a heartbeat. When I was shopping locally, I told the dealer I could get the same boat way cheaper in the states and he told me what a hassle and how hard it is to get the boat and trailer into Canada. What a crock. The interesting thing is that no one is really interested in the boat (other than to get the taxes), the interest is all in the trailer.

If you want step by step help, pm me and I will help you with each step.

Great stuff Cervelo! Appreciate the detail and your perspecitve. It's tough when the used supply is so limited here. Did you buy from a dealer or privately? I've seen ample good units on Boattrader and have talked with a few dealers as I slowly start this process. When our dollar hits 90 cents I'm there!

privately. You will of course have the boat checked out at the local dealer. Contact the dealer and have him do the money-title transfer on your behalf, ie: send the money to the dealer, the dealer gets posession of the boat and title and gives the money to the seller. One the cheque clears, he releases the boat and title to you.

There may be a small fee involved and the dealer should not have a problem with this as it gets a used boat out of his selling area.