Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeSurfing? Video of what you might be missing.

RiverRunner

Hey Texasguy,  I see you live in Austin.  Give me a shout and we will hook up sometime.  We are usually on the Perd or on Lake Austin up around Quinlan Park.

Welcome.gif

Thanks Stu,

I would like to go out asap and try a vlx before I write a check. I live in Lakeway, I'll meet you anywhere out here.

Bryan

Small World!! We live in Lakeway as well. You've probably seen us around Lakeway or the Perd. We have a white and dark blue '05 VLX. I will PM you with my contact info> Biggrin.gif

Definitely try it a few times before you rush out to buy that 23' v-drive.

Personally, I've yet to see the appeal. Don't get me wrong, it is something to do behind the boat when water conditions might otherwise dictate settling into a cove and floating, and I'm all for spending time behind the boat.  But I found it to be incredibly boring sitting in the boat cruising at 10-11 mph while others took rides that seemed to last forever and only slightly more exciting when it was my turn to surf.

It pained me this past summer to see people surfing on water that just begged to be skiied or boarded. Kinda like seeing Wally pulling a tube doing S turns through your favorite cove at 8:00 a.m.

But hey, that's JMHO!  Ultimately, the water is there for all to enjoy in any way that brings a smile to your face.

(BTW, note that I live in "Surf City, USA" and therefore my opinion may be skewed.)

I agree. Wakesurfing is for those that are too old or too lazy to wakeboard. Tongue.gif

After watching that video.  I think I may want to try surfing.  Not to sound stupid but can us surf in rollers?

What a stupid question...j/k

Yeah, you can pretty much surf in anything...literally. You're riding on the water that the hull has beat down. We've surfed in white caps before. Other than getting wetter in the boat, it works fine in rough water.

There are No stupid questions ... but there are a few stupid people, you know who you are. ROFL.gif

Wakeboarding is for those too old or lazy to barefoot, there's your adrenaline rush. Go ahead leave the help in the boat and get out there on your feet.

Actually it is the most fun to be a 7 or 8 event family, except for all the stuff you have to buy and bring out with you. Surf is just another way to be challenged and learn something new. Surf all day? Probably not. Barefoot all day? Wouldn't last. So mix it up and Everyone can have a good time. That's what so cool about Skiing and boating, you can have great fun with family and friends in a wholesome environment. Unless your with the MN Vikings! ROFL.gif

You mean this bridge?

Its less than a mile from Indian Lodge

gallery_26_15_100972.jpg

I can't remember now, the Hwy number was 371, 174, I don't know. It was a Texas road that had a sign by the bridge in the background of the film when the guy was walking down the bridge before he threw the rope down to the boat.

The DVD made it look like you were 100 miles from anyone! Where is Indian Lodge and is it a place you can stay at for a day or two?

You mean this bridge?

Its less than a mile from Indian Lodge

gallery_26_15_100972.jpg

I can't remember now, the Hwy number was 371, 174, I don't know. It was a Texas road that had a sign by the bridge in the background of the film when the guy was walking down the bridge before he threw the rope down to the boat.

The DVD made it look like you were 100 miles from anyone! Where is Indian Lodge and is it a place you can stay at for a day or two?

It is the 174 bridge, the Indian Lodge Link is basically below in the tress where Brad's picture was taken it is about 3/4 of a mile from the 174 bridge in a small cove off the river.

Edited by RiverRunner
Wind is more of a problem than rough water.

If you stand up straight while going against a strong wind it can kill your speed.

And if a strong wind comes from the side and blows a lot of mist off the top of the wave it can get lake water in your beer.

:(

(BTW, note that I live in "Surf City, USA" and therefore my opinion may be skewed.)

I thought Santa Cruz was the "Official Surf City"! Tease2.gif

Nope! Hunington Beach :) Santa Cruz Too cold

Yeah I know! Both cities went to court over who had the right to use the title "Surf City"!. So was just messing with John.

Unless your with the MN Vikings! ROFL.gif

Oh come on now, it was all innocent clean fun. Let me tell ya, their making it pretty tough on the fans this year. Cry.gif

Regarding wakesufing...... lets just say my slalom time took a hit this year. Biggrin.gif I cant get enough of it!

Yeah I know! Both cities went to court over who had the right to use the title "Surf City"!. So was just messing with John.

So who won in court. I took my kids to Santa Cruz last spring to surf.

Should we have gone to Huntington Beach ? It was Kinda cold in March.

I don't know if a settlement has been reached yet. I found a news report about Surf City USA but nothing about a decision on who gets exclusive rights to the term.

That video even makes the music sound good.

88, step away from the monitor.

You got to admit, the whole deal looks fun and a lot less serious than those early morning runs.

True but I'd never surf when the water is glass...that's just plain wrong.

Hman442 Posted Yesterday, 07:58 PM

I don't know what the final legal resolution was, or if it's even been decided yet. HB trademarked the name and had been using it for some time when Santa Cruz filed the suit. Then the State Assembly got involved and it became a 3 ring circus. Crazy.gif

Based on current air/water temps, I know where I'd rather be. Biggrin.gif

HUNTINGTON BEACH: 7:53AM

AIR/WATER: 62°-73°/62°-66°

SANTA CRUZ: 8:53AM

AIR/WATER: 48°-66°/51°-54°

That video even makes the music sound good.

88, step away from the monitor.

You got to admit, the whole deal looks fun and a lot less serious than those early morning runs.

True but I'd never surf when the water is glass...that's just plain wrong.

Surfing looks ideal after Noon when the glass is gone and it's time to socialize with a few malt beverages.

Now y'all know theres riding waterskiS versus slalom skiing

And theres riding a wakeboard versus wakeboarding

And I submit there is just as much riding a wakesurf versus wakesurfing.

If its what you enjoy and you want to progress the sky is the limit.

Right now we are struggling to get 360s so we feed our progress with other fodder (lil tykes chair and actual Lil Tykes)

Right now we are struggling to get 360s so we feed our progress with other fodder (lil tykes chair and actual Lil Tykes)

Brad how far are you guys making it. I cant seem to get past 270. do you know of any videos showing a full 360? :)

Hijack off

Struggling - as in haven't done it yet.

Shane and Abe can get all the way around but can't keep the momentum and surf it out.

So far I've had to be content with rail slides on the top lip.