Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeSurfing? Video of what you might be missing.

RiverRunner

Over the weekend at the Texas Mini WOW my son Ryan took a video, when I finished watching it I had a huge smile on my face. The original video was about three minutes long I cut it down a bit. We are in BradB's boat and you see Ronnie’s boat going by towards the end. The link was originally posted on the Texas WOW thread but, after watching it again last night I thought it was worth sharing with those of you that might not have seen it. Awhile back someone on here asked what was the big deal about surfing well this video might answer the question.

Surfing Texas WOW Style

That's a cool video and certainly makes an old DD die hard like me see the benefit of a wake board boat. If I could learn to surf like Brad, I'd start working on Mrs. 88 for one.

Place is The Secret Spot

Boat is '03 WS23LSV with rear tanks removed and replaced with 440s, 350 in the ski locker, 400 in the bow on the surf side, wedge deployed, full ice chest (at least for the first 5 minutes), VAB in the sling, and a crew of 12 or so having a blast.

Speed is usually 10.7.

Where are you Texasguy?

Edited by Brad B

Hey Texasguy, I see you live in Austin. Give me a shout and we will hook up sometime. We are usually on the Perd or on Lake Austin up around Quinlan Park.

Welcome.gif

Place is The Secret Spot

Boat is '03 WS23LSV with rear tanks removed and replaced with 440s, 350 in the ski locker, 400 in the bow on the surf side, wedge deployed, full ice chest (at least for the first 5 minutes), VAB in the sling, and a crew of 12 or so having a blast.

Speed is usually 10.7.

Where are you Texasguy?

Brad

I'm in Austin out by Lake Travis and ski mainly on Travis and the Perd(Club Ped). I watched The Secret Spot DVD and I know one of the slalom skiers and she made me try to figure out the location for myself. She said it was a Secret. I figured it out and confirmed it when the barefooter jumped off the bridge. I went frame by frame to read the highway sign on the bridge. Looks like a very cool spot but The Club Ped is closer to the gas station to get ice cream when you get done. Biggrin.gif

Hey Texasguy,  I see you live in Austin.  Give me a shout and we will hook up sometime.  We are usually on the Perd or on Lake Austin up around Quinlan Park.

Welcome.gif

Thanks Stu,

I would like to go out asap and try a vlx before I write a check. I live in Lakeway, I'll meet you anywhere out here.

Bryan

After watching that video.  I think I may want to try surfing.  Not to sound stupid but can us surf in rollers?

What a stupid question...j/k

Yeah, you can pretty much surf in anything...literally. You're riding on the water that the hull has beat down. We've surfed in white caps before. Other than getting wetter in the boat, it works fine in rough water.

Wind is more of a problem than rough water.

If you stand up straight while going against a strong wind it can kill your speed.

And if a strong wind comes from the side and blows a lot of mist off the top of the wave it can get lake water in your beer.

Definitely try it a few times before you rush out to buy that 23' v-drive.

Personally, I've yet to see the appeal. Don't get me wrong, it is something to do behind the boat when water conditions might otherwise dictate settling into a cove and floating, and I'm all for spending time behind the boat. But I found it to be incredibly boring sitting in the boat cruising at 10-11 mph while others took rides that seemed to last forever and only slightly more exciting when it was my turn to surf.

It pained me this past summer to see people surfing on water that just begged to be skiied or boarded. Kinda like seeing Wally pulling a tube doing S turns through your favorite cove at 8:00 a.m.

But hey, that's JMHO! Ultimately, the water is there for all to enjoy in any way that brings a smile to your face.

(BTW, note that I live in "Surf City, USA" and therefore my opinion may be skewed.)

But I found it to be incredibly boring sitting in the boat cruising at 10-11 mph while others took rides that seemed to last forever and only slightly more exciting when it was my turn to surf.

If sitting around catching up with friends, while watching one of them surf or encouraging a new surfer, while having a couple of cold ones is boring then count me bored. Good Friends+Good Times=Good Fun no matter what you are doing. You need to come to the Texas WOW in June and take your turn in the sling.