Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

dream boat

MARiley

since i won't be frequnting wsr because it, for lack of a better word, sucks, i'm reposting this.

i was on the tigeowners site, i know, i know, blasphemy but there was a very interesting thread about what you would have in your dream boat. not just what you would have on your 'bu, tige, etc. but all of the good things from all of the mfgs put together and other goodies.

here is my list:

-illusion x tower with capability of holding 4-2 board racks, 8 water toys total.

-no bungees on racks like what mc started.

-wedge

-tunes that get louder as ambient noise(engine, wind)

get louder like in cars.

-really, really loud audiobahn speaks w/ 2 12" woofers, like 4000w total.

-head unit placed so that it is completely visible and comfortably accessible to driver.

-24 feet like tige's flagship

-1500-2000lbs of ballast under the floor. w/ really fast pumps. like 2500-3000gph.

-lots of freeboard, as much as possible before t starts to look ugly.

-450-475 reliable hp out of a naturally aspirated small block

-2 speed tranny

-70 gal fuel tank

-extended bimini

-all throttle and steering linkages replaced by "fly-by-wire"

-pp:wp is a given

-large insulated in floor ice chest

-big swimdeck, like calabria's

i think that does it.

I would imagine that everone's "dream boat" is going to differ greatly. Personally, I don't want anything much longer and 21'. Wouldn't know where to put it. Needs a heater though. It get cold in Minnesota.

What is "fly-by-wire"?

I am about to take delivery of my dream boat. Yahoo.gif

vRide - Blue and Black

Monsoon

Titan tower w/removable racks

PP WP

Depth Sounder

Heater

Bimini

Have left myself room for mods as time and money allows.

Upgrade sound system

Stainless steel cup holders

I heard Malibu is looking at a larger boat and fly by wire (just as correct craft I was told they are worried about reliability)

I heard Malibu is looking at a larger boat and fly by wire (just as correct craft I was told they are worried about reliability)

They are worried about reliability? That tells me they don't know how to design! I'm not real up on this yet, but don't they call it "fly by wire" cause they started using it in planes... but reliablity is an issue? Come on... LAME excuse!

I was talking to Chuck from indmar about the hammerhead and asked him about it. All he said was Malibu is not certain this will not have problems in its infancy, especially in a marine environment. I am sure they will have it soon, but not quite yet.

I never thought my parents would ever get a ski boat, so in all honesty ours is my dream boat. Yahoo.gif

But if I could have anything, it would be a new Wakesetter LSV black and blue like the Vette in the Avatar. Biggrin.gif

What is "fly-by-wire"?

It is a throttle system that doesn't rely on mechanical cables for control, but rather is an electronic control system. I understand that it is very smooth. While this is a newer concept for the tourny boat segment, it is a technology that has been around for some time in other industries and should have a good amount of reliability.

I remember someone posted about getting a new MC with it after selling his Malibu and thought it was a noticable improvement over the current mechanical system.

The problem with fly by wire is the electronic actuation. There's a lag period between a throttle input and the actual response. Say you're doing 30 and just for grins, you decide to punch it down to WOT. You can slam the throttle open, but the servo motor won't respond that quickly. Takes some of the "connected" feel of these performance boats out of the picture. That's part of the reason the new F150s are such turds to drive. You can't beat a direct throttle linkage for intantaneous snap.

The problem with fly by wire is the electronic actuation.  There's a lag period between a throttle input and the actual response.  Say you're doing 30 and just for grins, you decide to punch it down to WOT.  You can slam the throttle open, but the servo motor won't respond that quickly.  Takes some of the "connected" feel of these performance boats out of the picture.  That's part of the reason the new F150s are such turds to drive.  You can't beat a direct throttle linkage for intantaneous snap.

I've heard that arguement before, but I don't get it. I've put 20K on my 04 F150 and don't see/feel any lag in response to throttle - gas pedal input. None, zero, zip, you hit it it revs, instantly, all the way every time.

I will say that there is a lag if the (auto) transmission has to shift. Every time I drive it I think about the lag and can not feel what you guys are talking about. It is instant power unless shifting. Try putting the truck in Low gear or 1st or whatever, run it at 15 mph and hit the gas - instant response, no lag from servo or tranny.

With today's high tech servos your not going to get concieved delays that are noticeable. Electrons move at the speed of light.

Just the rap I've heard on the F150. In fact, Ford even has a software update available for the drive-by-wire system on the early production models for that reason. Consumers like the hot-rod feel of the Chev and Dodges. That feeling's absence on the Ford was one of the biggest gripes consumers had and some of it (perhaps unfairly) was attributed to the throttle system.

I find the lag concept questionable as attributable soley to a 'float-by-wire' system.

The control inputs required to keep an F-16 in a given (commanded) flight mode are numerous and rapid. The F-16 is a 'Dynamically' stable airframe (which means unstable) and can only fly with the aid of a computer that reads a pilots desired flight mode based on his control inputs and then makes the control inputs to keep the airframe in that mode.

Transfering this idea to a modern EFI motor (which I think of as principally computer controlled) should not create a lag.

The guy who can give the most input on this must be Eagledrive... He knows motors, and I would assume the eagle is F-b-W also.

The problem with fly by wire is the electronic actuation.  There's a lag period between a throttle input and the actual response.  Say you're doing 30 and just for grins, you decide to punch it down to WOT.  You can slam the throttle open, but the servo motor won't respond that quickly.  Takes some of the "connected" feel of these performance boats out of the picture.  That's part of the reason the new F150s are such turds to drive.  You can't beat a direct throttle linkage for intantaneous snap.

I've heard that arguement before, but I don't get it. I've put 20K on my 04 F150 and don't see/feel any lag in response to throttle - gas pedal input. None, zero, zip, you hit it it revs, instantly, all the way every time.

I will say that there is a lag if the (auto) transmission has to shift. Every time I drive it I think about the lag and can not feel what you guys are talking about. It is instant power unless shifting. Try putting the truck in Low gear or 1st or whatever, run it at 15 mph and hit the gas - instant response, no lag from servo or tranny.

With today's high tech servos your not going to get concieved delays that are noticeable. Electrons move at the speed of light.

Electrons move at the speed of light.....Now that IS fast.

you subtitle had me laughing out loud...

My dream boat is in my driveway! :)

Acutually mine is in the garage Tongue.gif

THe fly-by-wire is probably a cost factor more than anything, which I really could care less about. How about fixing a simple problem like how much gas I acutally have left.

Malibudude - I heard from my dealer last weekend that the 2005s have improved fuel gage situations. I take delivery of my boat in about 11 days 19 hours and 45 minutes, but who's counting, I will let you know. I just don't have much to compare to as this is my first Bu.

Woo hoo. I am no longer a ballast buddy! Yahoo.gif

mrswhites '05 subie is fbw, there is a definite lag between between the mash of the foot and the get up and go. However it is subtle and unless you were really paying attention, you'd never notice.

Like Tony said, my dream boat's in the driveway. 

It better be.  Spent a year putting it together...

...and about 500 posts.....

We worked real hard on your boat Andy, we hope you like it... Biggrin.gif

Signed "the Jerk!"