Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

impeller replacement

Getting ready to go so thought I would replace impeller. Do you take the whole pump off or do it blind? I couldn't get old one out. Tried needle nose plyers but just pulled chucks of impeller. Any advice?

If you have time, buy one of these.

If you gotta get it out now, try prying out from both sides at the same time with flat head screwdrivers. First, shoot some binding lube all around the impeller and roll the motor over.

If you have time, buy one of these.

If you gotta get it out now, try prying out from both sides at the same time with flat head screwdrivers. First, shoot some binding lube all around the impeller and roll the motor over.

OK, can you buy them at auto store? Do you leave the pump attached and just do this without seeing? My muffler is in the way

Edited by TDouglas

Take your engine cover off & do it kneeling on the swimstep. Takes 2 minutes & it makes it quite a bit easier to reach.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Getting ready to go so thought I would replace impeller. Do you take the whole pump off or do it blind? I couldn't get old one out. Tried needle nose plyers but just pulled chucks of impeller. Any advice?

I have the 2006 model of your boat. On mine, in the port side storage beside

the engine, there is the removable partition, which I take out. Then, there is

the stern-most portion of the partition remaining. It can be easily removed

as well by just removing a single screw. I use a flashlight and a ratchet

wrench, while lying on my right side with my legs fully extended underneath the

the side seat bench partition and my head resting against the transom.

It's a whole lot easier with an impeller puller. But, I doubt you'll be able

to find one locally. With the impeller housing cover off, though, squirt in

some binding lube, as Pete mentioned, and pull the safety lanyard. Then,

crank the motor over for a few seconds. You can use screw-

drivers, or some folks use those paint can openers with the thumb hole and a

bend at the tip. Work it back and forth, but don't leverage against the side

walls of the pump housing. They can be bent/warped. Just be patient.

Pay attention to the letters/numbers on the old hub as you remove the old

impeller. Orient the new impeller exactly the same way. Don't worry about

spline direction as they will correct themselves very quickly the first time

the new impeller spins. When you re-attach the cover, using a new gasket

(should be in the box with the new impeller), be careful not to over-tighten

those screws. They are brass and will snap off. They need to be snug, just

enough so water doesn't leak while the engine in running.

You may struggle a bit this first time. Next time, use a puller. Great

investment!

Edited by srab

I have the 2006 model of your boat. On mine, in the port side storage beside

the engine, there is the removable partition, which I take out. Then, there is

the stern-most portion of the partition remaining. It can be easily removed

as well by just removing a single screw. I use a flashlight and a ratchet

wrench, while lying on my right side with my legs fully extended underneath the

the side seat bench partition and my head resting against the transom.

It's a whole lot easier with an impeller puller. But, I doubt you'll be able

to find one locally. With the impeller housing cover off, though, squirt in

some binding lube, as Pete mentioned, and pull the safety lanyard. Then,

crank the motor over for a few seconds. You can use screw-

drivers, or some folks use those paint can openers with the thumb hole and a

bend at the tip. Work it back and forth, but don't leverage against the side

walls of the pump housing. They can be bent/warped. Just be patient.

Pay attention to the letters/numbers on the old hub as you remove the old

impeller. Orient the new impeller exactly the same way. Don't worry about

spline direction as they will correct themselves very quickly the first time

the new impeller spins. When you re-attach the cover, using a new gasket

(should be in the box with the new impeller), be careful not to over-tighten

those screws. They are brass and will snap off. They need to be snug, just

enough so water doesn't leak while the engine in running.

You may struggle a bit this first time. Next time, use a puller. Great

investment!

I think I may just order the puller. I was wondering about damaging the housing of the pump. I will try the lube and turn over, then pull a bit. My new impeller also came with an o ring? Is that for pumps without the gasket? I have removed the partitions but may take off the engine cover. Thanks to all for your help.

I will echo what srab says. I follow about the exact same process on my LSV.

The impeller kit comes with an oring and a gasket. use whichever one you take off of your pump.

(I only needed the gasket.)

It is hard to see, but it not a bad job to do, Just go slow and don't drop the screws....

And, don't over torque the screws. They're brass and once the gasket is squished and seated the screws only need to be super snug.

• 3 years later...

While a puller might be nice, I got my impeller out with a pair of needlenose vise grips fairly easily. I didn't even bump the motor although it seems that is encouraged by most.

While a puller might be nice, I got my impeller out with a pair of needlenose vise grips fairly easily. I didn't even bump the motor although it seems that is encouraged by most.

x2 . I didn't bump the motor, but did turn it a little by hand with an allen wrench on one of the pump mounting bolts.

Bakes neglected to include the Glycerin with my new impeller. So I tried to get some at Rite Aid & the little old lady who was helping finally found it on the shelf but they were out of 99% glycerin. She says "oh honey, KY is glycerin based, that would probably work".

So if any of you ever need to lube your impeller, it has been confirmed KY & other like products that are glycerin based will work fine. I ordered a 55 gallon drum off Amazon....

• Like 2

Bakes neglected to include the Glycerin with my new impeller. So I tried to get some at Rite Aid & the little old lady who was helping finally found it on the shelf but they were out of 99% glycerin. She says "oh honey, KY is glycerin based, that would probably work".

So if any of you ever need to lube your impeller, it has been confirmed KY & other like products that are glycerin based will work fine. I ordered a 55 gallon drum off Amazon....

...Think of it as an investment

I changed my impeller earlier this week and I did not put any oil or vaseline on the impeller or housing, will this be an issue?

I changed my impeller earlier this week and I did not put any oil or vaseline on the impeller or housing, will this be an issue?

You cannot used any petroleum based products, like Vaseline. Has to be Glycerin. As far an issue, don't know but the directions say it is very important to use the lube. How did you get in by the way? Even lubed up I had to wrastle that thing in there. Reminded of me of prom

I also like to add anti-seize compound to the shaft before putting the new impeller in. I think it makes it easier to remove the next time.

You cannot used any petroleum based products, like Vaseline. Has to be Glycerin. As far an issue, don't know but the directions say it is very important to use the lube. How did you get in by the way? Even lubed up I had to wrastle that thing in there. Reminded of me of prom

I ordered an impeller & new housing replaced both of them, did not come with instructions or any kind of lube. It was a hassle getting the impeller in the housing but not too bad. Really dont want to pull it back apart, you think id be alright if I dont crank it till its in the water?

EDIT: did some google research, looks like most people recommend it but not everyone uses it, also most people were saying it just aids getting the impeller into the housing which I have already done. They only thing I would worry about would be the brief moments that impeller is spinning with no water on it, that thing is built pretty strong I will take my chances and carry my old one with me as a spare.

Edited by maroon88iroc

Dish soap works fine too.

I ordered an impeller & new housing replaced both of them, did not come with instructions or any kind of lube. It was a hassle getting the impeller in the housing but not too bad. Really dont want to pull it back apart, you think id be alright if I dont crank it till its in the water?

EDIT: did some google research, looks like most people recommend it but not everyone uses it, also most people were saying it just aids getting the impeller into the housing which I have already done. They only thing I would worry about would be the brief moments that impeller is spinning with no water on it, that thing is built pretty strong I will take my chances and carry my old one with me as a spare.

I would assume once you put the boat in the water enough water would make its way up the intake & you'll be fine.

Dish soap works fine too.

I have heard that too. Not sure why I forgot that & went looking for glycerin but I got a 55 gallon drum full if anyone wants to party

I have heard that too. Not sure why I forgot that & went looking for glycerin but I got a 55 gallon drum full if anyone wants to party

This made me laugh considering the mostly male demographic on the crew. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

• Like 2

This made me laugh considering the mostly male demographic on the crew. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Perv, I meant we could build a huge slip & slide down a hill. I was gonna dump it all over the driveway this evening & see how many cars I can fit in the garage

Where do I buy a raw water pump impeller? I own a 2007 wakesetter VLX 21.5 with a 340 Indmar Monsoon engine. I would like to change my own raw water pump impeller and want to make sure I buy the correct impeller and not a rip off one. Can anyone please give me the part number and manufacture of the impeller so I can purchase it? Or the best place to buy one?

Here is the only place I have found it for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impeller-w-Gasket-Johnson-09-812B-Indmar-Engines-/350316022686