Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Trouble

willh2oski4food

Hey Crew,

So I'm having alittle trouble getting my engine to start up on my 97 Response LX. Today was our 5th time to go out (our last outing was 3 days ago), and we have not had any problems starting up the other 4 times. The engine will crank and crank and sound like its about to fire up but just won't get there. It did fire up a few times, however when it did it ran incredibly rough and would die after about 5 seconds. I sprayed some ether into the carborator a few times, however that did nothing. I am getting a spark out of the wires, and I just replaced the spark plugs when I winterized it last fall. I have checked the kill switch/lanyard, and it appears to be connected just fine.

If you guys have any suggestions on things to try I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Startron is your friend, I run it in all my toys even my pick up truck. I have never had any carb issues using it nore have any of the 200 plus boats my friends boat shop repair/ winterize

If ether didn't help, I would think no spark. Test your coil, then your ign. module.

Edited by electricjohn